Looking for Interested Owners - MVAgusta.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Looking for Interested Owners

Like many of you, the dealership where I bought my TVL has now dropped MV. And so have the other 5 dealerships within a 1000 miles of where I live. Some owners from 2015/16/17 have sold their bikes at considerable financial loss and others like me have kept the bike but have on-going electrical/ electronic issues. These issues are the single biggest aggravation of ownership.
So what to do.

I sent an email to ECU Studio last week to see what software package they maybe able to sell me , so that I maybe able to deal with some of these issues myself. Namely clearing error/fault codes from the dashboard, being able to diagnose electrical issues - for example why the cruise control doesn't work/where to start looking and probably a few other things that I haven't thought of.

Luca stated that ECU Studio is more into the tuning side - that they have thought in the past about doing a diagnosis only version , but there has not been enough requests to do so.

So I'm suggesting to all you owners out there to send an email to ECU expressing your interest and maybe what that might look like to you , and maybe if there is enough of us, he maybe able/ willing to create a software package for us.

Even if you don't think you can use the software yourself- lack of computer skills for example , it would still be worth the purchase/ownership because you could take your laptop to your favorite local dealer/ mechanic and let him run the programme.

I am looking for support from 3 cylinder engine owners.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to TVLKAWASUKI For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 AM

Hey,

I have no clue where you live, so I don't know if my interest is relevant
I have dealers (still) around within 2 -3 hours
But your line of thinking is exactly parallel to my own ideas
Before a day's hassle (minimum), going to a dealer, probably quite a few things could be diagnosed and discussed beforehand

So yes, definitely I am interested
My bike is a TVL SCS (3 Cylinder)

I don't know ECU Studio, and others might not know them
I think that a coordinated approach towards ECU Studio might be helpful
That is, in this forum we try and find out the potential interest in a diagnosis tool, and then it can be discussed with ECU Studio what is possible

Thanks and Regards,

Evert

BMW R45, MG 750 Targa, MG V50 III, MG 65 Lario, Honda CM 185T
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:31 AM

Yer I would be in on that also but we need details I have a TVL also I am in Australia, I like to do my own stuff always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:17 AM

Not to derail the topic, but MV not being available to many dealers is a big problem. The closest dealer to me is 3 hours away and I live in the Capital of the USA!

I emailed MV Corporate about that telling them to at least expand to the Capital of the US and major metropolitan US cities. They didn't give a satisfactory answer.

This is my first MV Agusta, and most likely my last.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to you owners for replying. The thread has had a 115 views- if a quarter of those were potential buyers of a software package, I wonder if that would be enough to get the process going.

Here are some of the issues as I see it so far.

Just to be clear. At this present moment this software/ hardware does not exist. I'm trying to encourage a manufacturer to create it for us.

1. Being able to explain to ECU Studio what you as a rider/ owner are actually looking for and hope to accomplish. For example. I have a OBD2 reader that I bought quite a number of years ago for my Chrysler 300 for $100. The engine light would show up on the dashboard every few months and it was costing $80 just to clear it at the local repair shop. And it wasn't the dealership either. The reader tells me I have small air leak in a rubber hose as part of the emissions system and that it is not serious. I hit the erase button on the reader, the light goes off on the dashboard and I'm good for another 3 months .I should really find the leak and fix it. Anyway. Is this what we want - or is it something more complicated/sophisticated than that.

2. What is my skill level in being able to use the software ?

3.How broad / how much analysis/ information am I looking for to justify the purchase.

If you look on ECU Studio web site you will see that the software/ hardware that they do sell is quite an investment.

4. What we don't want is to encourage them to create something specific for us and then no one buys it. And the number of reasons for that could be many. And then we all lose.

5. We have an opportunity here to solve some, maybe the biggest, hurdle that we will face in long term ownership of these bikes. I hope we can get it right.

Keep expressing interest both here and to ECU Studio.

Thanks

6. I have no affiliation with ECU Studio and have no experience with them. All the other bikes I own have very limited electronics. The cars I own are about as loaded with stuff like the bike is , but they have been better engineered and so far , no problems. So I don't have any experience with this sort of thing either. But I have to find something, and this is the only potential solution that I have found.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:02 PM

Hello,

In general and Ad1):
I believe that we can get it right, and have an affordable package if we restrict ourselves to our basic needs
That is, we want a read-only (!) software access to the ECO data cache
The software should provide the communication protocols to connect to the ECU's, request the data and receive
the data
(I am afraid the protocols will be ECU specific)

This protocol is of course already available at ECU Studio
Next the software should write the data into a file, that can be handled easily eg. a .CSV file

Ad2):
Manipulating a .CSV file doesn't require a lot of software skills; however forum members can provide support to
each other

The thing is that we need to know what data cache address is representing what sensor. switch, blue or
whatever
Of course, anything ECU Studio might have available is great, however if they do not provide that or do
not have that information we have to find out ourselves by trial and error
Note:
A lot of data, as from ABS, we will not necessarily get from/via a ECU read-out
Ad3):
I just want the data from the ECU logged
Use them for diagnosis, allowing me to have remote discussions, either with a dealer, or forum members

Ad4):
I believe you have my full support there
A ballpark figure would be nice:
250$ I am prepared to pay for a certain level of independency of dealers, instead being able to discuss with
members of this forum
There are quite a few VERY competent ones I believe

Ad5):
Fully agree
I think towards ECU Studio there should be a coordinated approach
Because for them it is business: Nx$250 (eg. 50x$250 = $12500)
That would allow for maybe 3 weeks software development; that seems feasible

Ad6):
In this forum, way back to 2014, a guy already did exactly what we want for an old(er) version of ECU
So, it seems it is possible for "mortals" to get access to the ECU data

Last remark:
Maybe this thread should have a different name, something like Diagnosis Tool for 3-cylinders

Regards,

Evert

BMW R45, MG 750 Targa, MG V50 III, MG 65 Lario, Honda CM 185T
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:11 PM

New Site Garage
@TVLKAWASUKI

Welcome and I'm sorry to hear about your problems - please update your profile to include whereabouts on the planet you are !

Thanks

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoscs View Post

Last remark:
Maybe this thread should have a different name, something like Diagnosis Tool for 3-cylinders

Regards,

Evert
Actually, don't limit it to 3 cylinders. The ECU is the same for 3 and 4 cylinders. Which is why you can flash B3 to an F4. Some of the codes and sensors are different but ECUStudio already handles this. I'd say it's a portable error code and data logger (ECU only) for modern MV's. Widest possible interest that way.

The data logging on ECUStudio is currently saved in CSV. So Excel, any other spreadsheet or txt reader can handle the data.

With their current software you select the parameters you want to record, by name e.g rpm, clutch, gear, ride mode, air intake sensor, quick shifter voltage etc.

As you say ABS and immobiliser, where present is separate to the ECU and handled by the appropriate module. I'd love to crack the Bosch data but..
cherche likes this.

Arron

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Mapped with ECUstudio
QS & Blipper working with ECUstudio

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
The Following User Says Thank You to dansoarr For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
@TVLKAWASUKI

Welcome and I'm sorry to hear about your problems - please update your profile to include whereabouts on the planet you are !

Thanks

Will do Tim.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:16 AM

TVL... SASKATCHEWAN CANADA ? It is not the end of the World , BUT ,you can see it from there LOLOL. You have to take can good with you on the way to the Supermarket . Areg?nt you used to driving long distance for everything? has the Bike given you problems or are you assuming you will have problems because someone bad mouthed the MV brand ? MV AGUSTA IS NOT THE SAME BIKE AS IT WAS 20/25 YEARS AGO. I have 2 F4s never had 1 problem. Even Harley Davidson has modern manufacturing plants and make a good bike. Harleys do not last as long as other manufatures bikes because of the ..V.. angle being 45 degrees. The engine isn't balanced correctly and fights itself = HONDA 45/46 degree V-Twins have same problem and do not last long (explination on why shortened engine life is too long ) ANYHOW odds are you have a great bike that's as durable as your Kawasaki so if you like the bike keep it . if you don't sell it , but not because of someone trash talking a better bike than he rides himself . BTW Todays bikes are so good 9Chinese bikes not included) most electrical problems come from owner upgrading lighting. Screwing up the job , Then blaming manufacturer. THIS IS A QUOTE FROM A DEALER WHO HAS 6 MANUFACTURERS UNDER 1 ROOF.

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-11-2019 at 04:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode