Gas Position; Stop Engine. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Gas Position; Stop Engine.

I was going to have a track day. I entered the track road around once and started my first real lap and half way through I felt a massive loss of power on the straight away and got the warning to shut off my engine.

I road the bike slowly on the side of the track to get off and back in the pits the error came: Gas Position.

I turned off the bike, tried it again and was normal for a bout 15 feet then I got the same error.

After I get the error, what happens is the throttle no longer gives the correct amount of fuel with respect to its positioning. EX: Say, a 1/4 turn will get to redline in neutral, but once the error hits the revs will only go up 1/3 of the way to redline at the same throttle position.

Anyways, anyone have and Idea why suddenly the bike losses calibration for throttle position shortly after being turn on.. usually works for a bit after turning the bike on and off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I was going to have a track day. I entered the track road around once and started my first real lap and half way through I felt a massive loss of power on the straight away and got the warning to shut off my engine.

I road the bike slowly on the side of the track to get off and back in the pits the error came: Gas Position.

I turned off the bike, tried it again and was normal for a bout 15 feet then I got the same error.

After I get the error, what happens is the throttle no longer gives the correct amount of fuel with respect to its positioning. EX: Say, a 1/4 turn will get to redline in neutral, but once the error hits the revs will only go up 1/3 of the way to redline at the same throttle position.

Anyways, anyone have and Idea why suddenly the bike losses calibration for throttle position shortly after being turn on.. usually works for a bit after turning the bike on and off.
This was a fairly common problem with early F3's, I always found if you unplug and reconnect the throttle electrical connector. problem generally fixes itself.
My thoughts are it's a voltage issue, unplugging and reconnecting cleans the contracts and restores the correct voltage. ( Just a theory but gas always worked for me )
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Ride by wire bikes have a lot of fail safe defaults built into the electronics. Any perceived problem the ECU sees will default to a low rpm or no run condition. A poor electrical connection in any sensors running on the can-bus line can trigger this.

If your wiring is all box stock then carefully check and clean the throttle connector to the harness. You may have a bad throttle assembly too. I think there was a service bulletin/campaign for these.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Tried the bike again, got a 1/4 of a mile down the road before the bike starting giving me errors and I lost power.

Noticed a new error flash quickly: Voltage battery drop, along with the others gas position and engine malfunction. Was able ride back how at a top speed of 35 mph.

I have had this bike for almost 6 years now, seems weird that I would have an electrical problem now after this aspect of the bike had been reliable so long. The battery appears to be fully charged with the charger giving it a green light and the start up cranks well.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:52 AM

Hi Neal,

I had this problem with my F3 also, and initially solved it by going throught the entire wiring loom and treating all the connectors with dielectric grease. I've done around 10000km since then without issue until just recently when the gas position error reappeared and could not be fixed in that manner.

The throttle handle assembly has been updated since the early models to part # 8E00B5444 which incedentally has a noticably heavier return spring. I picked one up from a wrecker/dismantler over here, fitted it and had my local dealer clear the error code and install the latest map.

All seems good now, although I haven't done a lot of riding with it yet. I would suggest you need to upgrade to this part as well. It was a service bulletin/warranty type item for the early bikes although it seems many people, like yourself and I, were lucky enough to have ours last until well out of the warranty period.

Regards, Greg

We're all here, but we're not all there.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:44 AM

I had this issue on my 2013 F4 and the throttle was changed under warranty.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:38 AM

I'm still on the original throttle, at around 25000miles
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 AM

I've had the same issue , my fault was with the exhaust valve actuator !
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 AM

I get this from time to time, need to get some dialectric grease on them connectors.

2015 MV Agusta F3 800
2012 Ducati Panigale 1199S
2011 Triumph 675R
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:40 PM
Established Member

I had this occur several times on my MY16 TVL and at one time was stranded over 1200 miles from home. This was after a huge downpour all night long while on an extended ride. I waited until temps increased that morning and gave it another try 2 hours later and the bike ran perfect. Was extremely weird but I was happy to be riding again and not in the "limp" mode.

Last time it occurred near home and fortunately the dealer is only 5 miles away. This is what they told me was wrong with the bike. I have no idea if it was true or not but the problem was solved. The mechanic indicated that dirt had gotten into the cam mechanism on the throttle assembly that syncs the throttle actuation with the electronic output. It required cleaning and proper cam adjustment. No idea if they told me a story but the moto hasn't had a problem since and I did have it on graded dirt roads proceeding the problem..

They did tell me if it happens again I can easily open the throttle assembly up and resolve it. They must have felt I have some mechanical competence at least to recommend this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fastspy; 02-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode