2017 F3 800 - Leaking Coolant - MVAgusta.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

2017 F3 800 - Leaking Coolant

Hey guys,

2017 MV Agusta F3 800, noticed that it leaks coolant right by the kickstand. I haven't been able to completely take off the fairings since it's very cold around where I live, and quite honestly, I don't want to do that since I'm not a pro.

I had it sit for about a week without turning it on and placed a white paper towel underneath the spot. I come back a few days later and almost the entire paper towel is soaked in green coolant.

Any feedback?

Last edited by lbntuk; 06-11-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 10:28 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
It takes very little coolant to create a large mess on the floor...or in a paper towel.

My guess would be that the bike was overfilled with coolant at some point and it is simply seeking the correct level through the coolant overflow tube which should exit the bike at about the point you describe.

These machines need to be maintained low in the normal band for coolant or they piss it out.

The other component in that vicinity that could cause issue is the water pump itself. If it has a seal leak, then coolant would again puddle where you describe.

Take off the fairing lower on the left side. It is an easy process with just a few fasteners.

The process is described in the factory manual, which you can obtain here: Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta

This is a common issue with new owners of these bikes.

Now, where the hell is East-Side?

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
The Following User Says Thank You to silentservice703 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 AM

New Site Garage
Annoying issue, few things to check.

Bike is leaning to the left, so its possible that coolant leaking from the right side is dripping over to the left side.

Remove right fairing panel, and check if your radiator cap isnt broken. Also the resorvoir coolant tank infront of your fueltank shoudnt be filled to the edge. It should be filled to the MIN level.
Yes sound stupid, but go any higher and chances are you'll spill coolant.

Check workshop manual losen the coolant bolt and check for damage, maybe its overtorqued and it has snapped. If not retighten to spec.
(Obviously this will drain the coolant, and you have to refill)

Leaking coolant heavily, its impossbile to ride your bike to the dealer.
If you have a driverslicense for car, maybe rent a van and put the bike in there. Or if you own a car, rent a trailer and strap her on? Its cheaper that way for sure.

All items that break under warranty should be fixed for free. Item free and worktime free.
Sadly, you have to pay for the gas yourself.

Would suck if you have a crack in your engine itself or not good enough seal and has a tiny leak from there.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Dang Jason...don't scare the guy with tales of cracked engines !!!!

I will wager it is simply the expansion tank seeking its proper level. Worst case is a leaky water pump mechanical seal.

Mechanical seals will sometimes start to weep coolant when not exercised periodically. I would keep an eye on the coolant level, ride the bike and see if the leakage goes away.

OEM Japanese manufacturers (Honda Suzuki Etc) all have bulletins about new units leaking coolant on showroom floors and to run engine before replacing water pumps.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 10:55 AM

New Site Garage
Sorry thats just WORST case scenario.
Then again as we all know at the factory the engine has been put to highest rpm and pressure so a leak or any fault within the engine itself would be spotted there.

EDIT: To Mona (Thread starter)
I had the same issue within 1000miles I had a coolant leak and my dripping was more to the front of the bike and not the kickstand, source of leak: Radiator cap. Easy and simple fix.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

Last edited by Black_Gold_Saw; 12-16-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:45 PM

New Site Garage
The overflow for the reservoir comes to a hose at the bottom along with another hose on the right side metal fairings. The area you describe is further back and on the left.

The area does not sound like an overfilled reservoir to me. It sounds like the hose going on the left side of radiator to the left side of engine. At the radiator there is a clamp, at the engine there is a clamp to the 90 degree connector. The connector itself has an oring just internally. I would check those connections with the left side fairings off. If you don't feel comfortable removing fairings you can put a paper towel up at the radiator and one at the 90 degree connections. Have the local shop remove fairings if you trust them but if its the 90 degree oring then have dealer do it.

Before you run the bike through some heat you have to make sure you haven't lost that much coolant. Checking the level means taking off the fairings on the right side though. I wouldn't trust the reservoir level alone. I'd check with the radiator cap off. Check with engine cold.

Speaking of which... how cold is it? Two of my bikes leaked coolant when cold. I'm talking about near freezing temperatures. Both would stop leaking when warmed up but i tightened the fasteners in both situations slightly and they were fine. Aluminum shrinks!

Hope I've given you some info to work with.

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS

Last edited by airjawed; 12-20-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:14 AM
Established Member

Hi Guys,
Last winter i had similar leek as Ibntuk, it happen when bike was 15 days "off", and it was leaking from a small hole (see photos #1&2), as soon i started the bike and went for a spin leaking stopped, never happened again as warmer weather came... I think its got something to do with water pump, bleeding pipe from seal?? (see photo #3, red mark).
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Yep...that's the "weep" hole for the mechanical seal. They need exercise occasionally.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Old 12-23-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, the leak is not that bad, but I’ll see once we get better weather. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Last edited by lbntuk; 06-11-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post

Speaking of which... how cold is it? Two of my bikes leaked coolant when cold. I'm talking about near freezing temperatures. Both would stop leaking when warmed up but i tightened the fasteners in both situations slightly and they were fine. Aluminum shrinks!

Hope I've given you some info to work with.
Thanks AirJawed - it actually only leaked when it dropped below 32*F. It was nearly 60-65*F before and it suddenly dropped within a week to bone-chilling temps.

So you might have a point there.
ceepee likes this.

Last edited by lbntuk; 06-11-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in