5Likes
  • 2 Post By silentservice703
  • 2 Post By Black_Gold_Saw
  • 1 Post By PTsalas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Is my new blipper working as it should?

Hey guys,

The aim of this thread is to find out what a working blipper should feel like so that I can compare to mine and either adjust settings on the fuel map or adjust my expectations accordingly.

Long story short, I finally sorted out my wiring and got around to flashing my bike with ECU studio. I am using a EAS 2.0 sensor. I will do a write-up on the ECU studio experience once I know everything is working correctly. The voltages at the sensor are okay as per my discussions with Luca at ECU studio. Running a log on the bike, my laptop shows my shifter is working correctly both up and down. I keep the bike in Sport mode and the QS is switched "on" on the dash.

Riding the bike on the road - Up shifts

Everything works perfect on the up shift.

Riding the bike on the road - down shifts:

Since activating the blipper, I can now shift down without using the clutch. Before activating the blipper, the shift lever felt locked solid and I could not shift down unless the the clutch was used.

With the blipper activated, shifting down, closed throttle, without clutch; the blipping action is extremely subtle, almost like rev matching (if you are at 8000RPM it will rev up to 9500 RPM etc). I was expecting a very obvious blip (13000RPM) and sharp rise in revs like how when I manually blip. This is absent, it just has a the most slightest of revs to match the lower gear.

With the blipper, the shift action at the shifter without the clutch is notchy and not as light as with using the clutch. In terms of smoothness, me manually blipping and using the clutch feels smoother at the shift lever.

Shifting down clutchless is still very controlled, very little stress on the slipper clutch and the bike doesn't get out of shape at all.

So, would you say based on the above that my blipper is working correctly? I have never ridden a bike with a blipper so hard for me to gauge. If had had a more obvious blip and slightly less effort and notchyness at the lever I would have not started this thread.

Just want to check with you guys in case I have to change a setting for a more solid blip or lighter lever action. I can post up some screen shots of the settings etc, but would just like to get an impression first before going into detail. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 09:34 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Active rev matching is just that..rev matching. It should be subtle as you are only changing the RPM to match the incoming gear. Why would you raise your RPM to 13000 if you are only going down a gear or two. That evolution only changes RPM by maybe 500-800 RPM.

It sound to me like your system is working as it should.
PTsalas and dansoarr like this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 12:18 PM

New Site Garage
10 seconds into the video till 20 seconds in the video.
If your bike sounds like that when downshifting with blipper, you should be good

PTsalas and cherche like this.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Gold_Saw View Post
10 seconds into the video till 20 seconds in the video.
If your bike sounds like that when downshifting with blipper, you should be good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTNv3GObWpI
Videos like this influenced my expectations. Mine doesn't blip as "hard"

Thinking about it now, it could be attributed to their loud exhaust pipes. The youtube bikes I saw on the dynos also had loud exhaust pipes exacerbating the blip.

Ok so last question just to clarify, its normal to have very smooth clutchless upshift, but notchy clutchless downshifts?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 02:50 PM

New Site Garage
Having a smooth quickshift up the gears is normal. Hard to achieve for motorcycle brands. So smooth is good

I myself dont have a blipper, but I think it should be same feeling in the lever. *Hearing multiple reviews on different motorcycles that have both quickshift and blipper function, the commentator usually talks about a smooth movement. "Buttersmooth" they say. Not sure if they mean lever smooth, or rev matching smooth.

You got a 2012/2013 modelyear with 1.0 eas sensor, and those werent "made" for/with blipper function.
I got a 2017 modelyear and although I have a 2.0 eas sensor, my dealer mechanic said it wasnt possible to activate the blipper functin in the stock ECU unless you went to a third party like you did.

So maybe your ECU software is telling its okay to downshift without clutch, but your actual gearbox isnt???? and maybe thats why is feels like its "notching"
Thats the only reason I can think of, or the softwares 0's and 1's for blipper isnt dialed in good enough to make it smooth in lever.

Maybe someone who has an F3 with factory blipper function can provide more information about lever feel, and rev matching feel.

"Mileena"

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Gold_Saw View Post
Having a smooth quickshift up the gears is normal. Hard to achieve for motorcycle brands. So smooth is good

I myself dont have a blipper, but I think it should be same feeling in the lever. *Hearing multiple reviews on different motorcycles that have both quickshift and blipper function, the commentator usually talks about a smooth movement. "Buttersmooth" they say. Not sure if they mean lever smooth, or rev matching smooth.

You got a 2012/2013 modelyear with 1.0 eas sensor, and those werent "made" for/with blipper function.
I got a 2017 modelyear and although I have a 2.0 eas sensor, my dealer mechanic said it wasnt possible to activate the blipper functin in the stock ECU unless you went to a third party like you did.

So maybe your ECU software is telling its okay to downshift without clutch, but your actual gearbox isnt???? and maybe thats why is feels like its "notching"
Thats the only reason I can think of, or the softwares 0's and 1's for blipper isnt dialed in good enough to make it smooth in lever.

Maybe someone who has an F3 with factory blipper function can provide more information about lever feel, and rev matching feel.
Ive got a 2012 fitted with EAS 2.0 sensor and ECU studio with map #70SO with the blipper settings from map #70SK (SK is the MV Kit ROM that comes on their race ECU). Its third party mapping software, but the maps are from MV Agusta. I'm confident in the hardware and electrical side of things as I tested it when I logged it. Just wasn't sure if my blipper settings on the mapping were quite 100% as I just copied the SK map settings for the blipper. I'm not sure how to interpret all the settings I copied, so maybe once I figure it out, it would better assist me in understanding what the bike is doing.

Im sure I read somewhere of hardware changes on the transmissions on the newer bikes with smoother action from the selector dogs etc.

Im going to re adjust my shift lever and try it out again tomorrow with a fresh mind. Im running a GP shift pattern so the downshift pushing up is a little more difficult than pushing down.
Black_Gold_Saw likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 05:15 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
Im sure I read somewhere of hardware changes on the transmissions on the newer bikes with smoother action from the selector dogs etc.
Thats what I was thinking, I just didnt know how to properly tell you that.
(sometimes its hard to find the right words )

"Mileena"

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so I adjusted my shift lever and took the bike out again today.

With what you guys mentioned above, it appears that my blipper is working as it should.

Since I'm running a reverse pattern GP shift, to gear down I need to push the shift lever up which we all know is very technique sensitive. I didn't notice the notchyness as much today and I recon its due to the adjusted shift lever giving me a much more positive shift action and more effort from my side managed to get it working perfect.

I can now say that it is smoother than using the clutch. Combined with the slipper clutch and anti engine brake, this bike feels like a proper 2 stroke now.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode