F3 800 starting difficulties after sprag warranty service... - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
F3 800 starting difficulties after sprag warranty service...

Bike history:
5,500 miles
Sprag replaced and software update under warranty, around 3,000 miles...

About a month ago, the starting began to get difficult. Unlike the 'clang!-clack!" noises from the first sprag problem, it is more like a DJ record scratch; haulting the starting of the bike... I don't know how to better explain it, so I attached a video. Anyway, sometimes it can go on for several minutes, giving the battery a real hard time,

One day, it kept going so badly, it killed my battery, leaving me stranded, in need of a tow.
I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade to a lithium Shorai... Not a cheap battery, and not easy to install!
It does sound like it cranks much harder, but the same problem persists....

I called the MV dealer in San Francisco, Munroe Motors, who seemed convinced it must be the battery, since they already serviced the sprag.
Just seems weird to me that a problem that cropped up with an old battery remained consistent with a new one.

Could it still be the sprg? I've seen many stories of multiple sprags. Anything else I should look into?

Nighthawk 650 '83 prune/gunk
FZR 600 '93 red/white
F4 750 '03 red/silver
F3 800 '16 ABS red/silver

Last edited by bioluminescence; 12-01-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:18 AM

New Site Garage
Sounds like you need a new sprag clutch

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioluminescence View Post
Bike history:
5,500 miles
Sprag replaced and software update under warranty, around 3,000 miles...

About a month ago, the starting began to get difficult. Unlike the 'clang!-clack!" noises from the first sprag problem, it is more like a DJ record scratch; haulting the starting of the bike... I don't know how to better explain it, so I attached a video. Anyway, sometimes it can go on for several minutes, giving the battery a real hard time,

One day, it kept going so badly, it killed my battery, leaving me stranded, in need of a tow.
I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade to a lithium Shorai... Not a cheap battery, and not easy to install!
It does sound like it cranks much harder, but the same problem persists....

I called the MV dealer in San Francisco, Munroe Motors, who seemed convinced it must be the battery, since they already serviced the sprag.
Just seems weird to me that a problem that cropped up with an old battery remained consistent with a new one.

Could it still be the sprg? I've seen many stories of multiple sprags. Anything else I should look into?

https://youtu.be/JNJp4qOffcQ

A low battery will shag your sprag in a short period of time. If you replaced the sprag and kept the shitty battery, good chance it could have damaged the new sprag. (I mentioned this to you when I did your Christmas shopping list in a prior thread).

I reckon that they should replace the sprag again and with your new lithium battery it should be a problem sorted (fingers crossed).

Last edited by PTsalas; 12-02-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:16 PM

Try pushing in the starter button, then pulling the clutch lever in until the starting sequence starts when the clutch position switch makes. It seems like you have more mass / some sideways pressure that makes starting easier when your sprag is wearing.

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:07 PM

I stopped going to Munroe Motors after they destroyed everything they touched on my bike. Most of the damage done to my bike was result of them trying to cover up.

After leaving Munroe Motors I haven’t had any major issue with my bike.

If I were you it would be best to find a new dealer like California Speed Sport in Livermore.

A good mechanic would tell you to ditch the battery you have and get something more powerful for the sprag clutch.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for all the advice. I was relieved to hear you all agreed it's the sprag, because I like the new battery, and don't want to have to remove the tank again any time soon...

I called Munroe back
(for the record, I've had decent experience with them. But in my area, I use LG Moto LG Moto Performance for all non-warrantied service. Lawrence is the best, and rides an F4)

Munroe looked up my service history and noticed the sprag they installed had already been revised by MV. So, good news is warranty will install a newer sprag. Bad news is it's on a back-order delay until who knows...

Bay Area California winter weather is very rideable, but not the worst time to be out of commission.
Anyone want to see a video of my battery swap?
Manic likes this.

FZR 600 '93 red/white
F4 750 '03 red/silver

Last edited by bioluminescence; 12-04-2018 at 04:14 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:48 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioluminescence View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I was relieved to hear you all agreed it's the sprag, because I like the new battery, and don't want to have to remove the tank again any time soon...

I called Munroe back
(for the record, I've had decent experience with them. But in my area, I use LG Moto LG Moto Performance for all non-warrantied service. Lawrence is the best, and rides an F4)

Munroe looked up my service history and noticed the sprag they installed had already been revised by MV. So, good news is warranty will install a newer sprag. Bad news is it's on a back-order delay until who knows...

Bay Area California winter weather is very rideable, but not the worst time to be out of commission.
Anyone want to see a video of my battery swap?
https://youtu.be/vlg4N1dsjM4
my Rivale is hard to start also,i saw u live in oakland we should ride some day i live in Vallejo
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bape47 View Post
my Rivale is hard to start also,i saw u live in oakland we should ride some day i live in Vallejo
Yeah dude, have your sprag checked out too.
They ALL go bad, just about... Apparently the most recent (2018) update solves it... But we will see.
It's a bearing that's supposed to grab a smooth wall when spinning in the opposite direction to start your bike.
The 800cc 3cyl motor is awesome, but this sprag issue is a real pain (I have this week off work, but can't ride without risking getting stuck)
Vallejo isn't that far from me. I'm down to ride this spring (I'm not terribly fast, but can ride with just about anybody)

FZR 600 '93 red/white
F4 750 '03 red/silver
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Dragster RR puchased January this year (MY18), 5000 miles no starting issues whatsoever, perfect each time.

The sound is much more positive and there is no need to use the clutch
Kageira likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
Dragster RR puchased January this year (MY18), 5000 miles no starting issues whatsoever, perfect each time.

The sound is much more positive and there is no need to use the clutch
Wait, so you don't need to grab the clutch to start?
My F3 is the only bike that I've ridden that required grabbing clutch to start.
Is that related to this sprag thing?
The shop assured me that after bikes receive the latest update from MV, they never go bad again. We'll see about that!
Wish I understood this stuff better...

FZR 600 '93 red/white
F4 750 '03 red/silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode