Clutch Rubber Price FML! - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ducati23

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Clutch Rubber Price FML!

So Im planning to replace my clutch hub with the updated part (see threads on failing clutch hubs). I purchased the new hub and it has arrived, but the dealer (not MV - MV went bust in South Africa) insists that I replace the clutch rubbers as well as he fears they will be due for replacement (mine is a 2012 with the original rubbers). The dealer poached a lot of the MV mechanics before their demise so I would say they are the best option I have. I cannot replace the rubbers under warranty either.

So on to my problem:

The Startwin tell me the price for a single clutch rubber (8A00B6484) costs 18.92 euro each (I need 6).

This is a very similar rubber to the rear wheel hub rubbers (8000B2151) which cost 1.35 euro each.

Evolutionbike also told me something similar some time back when I ordered the hub from them.

Am I going nuts? Im thinking the price of 18.92 euro must be for a set and not for a single rubber.

Anyone that has replaced theirs that can confirm. Shooting myself is seeming very appealing right now as the cost of the rubbers will be more than the hub itself.

The cost of this preventative exercise (in part due to MVs shit QC on their first generation clutch hubs) is starting to get really expensive.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:42 AM

New Site Garage
Pull the original clutch rubbers out first and inspect them before you order new parts. They are not easy to get out as the six fasteners are loctite in place and it takes a bit of heat to loosen them up.

The rubbers get sandwiched in place between the basket and gear plate. I put a bit of self vulcanizing rubber on both sides of the original rubbers and around the outside edges near the basket holes. Let the rubber cure before fitting the basket to the gear. It fits very snug that way.
PTsalas likes this.

D23
CCS/ASRA #19
Staff Instructor SBTT South
'Yamaha R1 Superbike
MV F3RC
Zuma 125
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
So Im planning to replace my clutch hub with the updated part (see threads on failing clutch hubs). I purchased the new hub and it has arrived, but the dealer (not MV - MV went bust in South Africa) insists that I replace the clutch rubbers as well as he fears they will be due for replacement (mine is a 2012 with the original rubbers). The dealer poached a lot of the MV mechanics before their demise so I would say they are the best option I have. I cannot replace the rubbers under warranty either.

So on to my problem:

The Startwin tell me the price for a single clutch rubber (8A00B6484) costs 18.92 euro each (I need 6).

This is a very similar rubber to the rear wheel hub rubbers (8000B2151) which cost 1.35 euro each.

Evolutionbike also told me something similar some time back when I ordered the hub from them.

Am I going nuts? Im thinking the price of 18.92 euro must be for a set and not for a single rubber.

Anyone that has replaced theirs that can confirm. Shooting myself is seeming very appealing right now as the cost of the rubbers will be more than the hub itself.

The cost of this preventative exercise (in part due to MVs shit QC on their first generation clutch hubs) is starting to get really expensive.

Thanks
I’ve been replacing anything with an MV Agusta logo on it and that seems to do the trick. Replaced the entire back end with AEM parts. Those rubbers now cost over 100.00 for an entire set but they last!

https://sprocketcenter.com/superlite...MaAsKfEALw_wcB

Not saying this is the best option for you but I can guarantee your issues will arise again.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati23 View Post
Pull the original clutch rubbers out first and inspect them before you order new parts. They are not easy to get out as the six fasteners are loctite in place and it takes a bit of heat to loosen them up.

The rubbers get sandwiched in place between the basket and gear plate. I put a bit of self vulcanizing rubber on both sides of the original rubbers and around the outside edges near the basket holes. Let the rubber cure before fitting the basket to the gear. It fits very snug that way.
Any reason for the vulcanizing rubber? I had a look at the latest service bulletin regarding the updated basket and rubbers(bulletin 214) and they only mention greasing the rubbers before installing...

My rubbers are arriving tomorrow so will be tackling this in the next few days. Cant say I'm looking forward to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode