MV Agusta Forum banner

Rear hub maintenance

9K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  theknurl 
#1 ·
Hi getting prepared to check my f3 800 rear hub. One Initial query is how do I safely support my bike when I can no longer use the rear hub bike stand? I have a front stand under caliper type. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
?

Blinxnot;
Do it Mitch's way......you can use a jack on the bottom of the shock IF THE FRONT END CAN'T FALL ....RESTRAINED FROM ABOVE
Caliper lifts aren't secure unless you use a rear stand.....and they're real shaky with the axle out
:wink2:

#5 ·
I use foot peg stands and front fork under caliper stands.

If you have the stock footpegs, you need to flip your footpegs upside down so that they dont fold when you release the rear stand on to the footpeg stands. After you are done, you remove your footpegs and rotate back to normal and good to go.

My footpeg stands look like this

Central stands for footpeg rests - RACING paddock stands - Lv8 ELEVATE - Brescello

You need a rear axle stand to to lower the bike on to the footpeg stands.

#6 ·
#11 ·
Although that's the B4, it's probably the best video made to-date detailing how and what you need. Just remember, you also need a soft wedge (like a door chock) to keep the bracket spread during the removal and replacement.

Cheers

#13 ·
Started removing the hub. The brake caliper flange is stuck tight. I have removed 2 clips and o ring gasket as per the manual. Unsure if I have missed something or does it need a tap to loosen. Some photos included. Thanks

Attachments

#18 ·
Any clean solvent will do.... Brake clean? How about mineral spirits or Kerosene?

Reactions: cruiser
#19 ·
If you remove the circlip on the wheel side of the hub you can then remove the ball bearing. This is not an interference fit, its outer ring is isolated from the hub by an o-ring, so it can be removed by hand. (at least that's how it is on my F4). Removing the inner races and spacer first makes this easier.

I then soak the hub in tub of kerosene - actually a plastic food container as close as possible to the size of the hub, the correct size container may already be in your kitchen - then flush the bearings with white spirits or brake clean as suggested above as a final rinse.

The inner races and (particularly) the spacer will then need to be cleaned up. And also the axle.

Putting the bearing and the o-ring back in place requires patience but once you have it apart you will see how it goes back together.

#23 ·
Hub maintenance all done just got my work inspected and approved as correct!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.