Need rear hub spacer/bushing stack - MVAgusta.net
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Need rear hub spacer/bushing stack

My rear sprocket holder was very wobbly, and chewed away part of the hub.
In my case, the top hat washer (flanged washer) had eaten itself into the aluminium cush drive, which caused the play and eventually lead to the cush drive touching the hub.
Why the top hat spacer has eaten the cush drive I don't really know.. but nevertheless I found an almost new cush drive and sprocket holder and installed them on my brutalia.
But what I also noticed is that the top hat spacer has a big groove in it, on both sides. And the bushings that run inside the needle bearings also have grooves where they meet.
So as a result, the whole stack is just about 1 or 2mm (approx guess) too short, and this causes the top hat spacer to rub against the hub.

The bearings all look and feel very good still. I cleaned them out and repacked with lithium grease.
I cannot see or feel any axial movement or play. The shaft has the brown rings where the bearings run, as you see often on these shafts, but not worn and the diameter is still the same.

So what I like to try is to replace the spacer/bushing stack, because if the stack is just 1 or 2mm longer my problems seem over.
But for the live of me I cannot find any replacement parts, only full hubs or even hubs + swingarm (ebay).
So I searched the web for industrial bushings that have the same size, but to no avail.

Alternative is that someone machines a top hat spacer that's 1 or 2 mm taller, instead of replacing the whole stack.

Anyone here that knows a place where I can buy a new set? Or maybe someone has a set for sale? Or who can machine a taller top hat spacer?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Video showing the play on the sprocket carrier:
Video showing the difference between old and new cush drive:

'13 Brutale 800 Italia color scheme
The Netherlands

Last edited by jeroen.surf.nl; 09-04-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:00 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroen.surf.nl View Post
In my case, the top hat washer (flanged washer) had eaten itself into the aluminium cush drive, which caused the play and eventually lead to the cush drive touching the hub.
Why the top hat spacer has eaten the cush drive I don't really know.. but nevertheless I found an almost new cush drive and sprocket holder and installed them on my brutalia.
But what I also noticed is that the top hat spacer has a big groove in it, on both sides. And the bushings that run inside the needle bearings also have grooves where they meet.
So as a result, the whole stack is just about 1 or 2mm (approx guess) too short, and this causes the top hat spacer to rub against the hub.

The bearings all look and feel very good still. I cleaned them out and repacked with lithium grease.
I cannot see or feel any axial movement or play. The shaft has the brown rings where the bearings run, as you see often on these shafts, but not worn and the diameter is still the same.

So what I like to try is to replace the spacer/bushing stack, because if the stack is just 1 or 2mm longer my problems seem over.
But for the live of me I cannot find any replacement parts, only full hubs or even hubs + swingarm (ebay).
So I searched the web for industrial bushings that have the same size, but to no avail.

Alternative is that someone machines a top hat spacer that's 1 or 2 mm taller, instead of replacing the whole stack.

Anyone here that knows a place where I can buy a new set? Or maybe someone has a set for sale? Or who can machine a taller top hat spacer?

Video showing the play on the sprocket carrier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsnf17PF9eM
Video showing the difference between old and new cush drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6fSRcTUdPM
You could buy one of my hubs and all your worries will be over.
Also you could buy the upgraded sprocket carrier which is the same as the pre2010 models run which is trouble free.
I know it is costly,but it means total reliability.
theknurl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Last edited by mitchy; 09-05-2018 at 07:54 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:15 AM

I've gone through and broken down all the required information you may need on the other post you have made, Jeroen.

Please feel free to take a look at the provided information and if you do require any further technical assistance, please do let me know and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Jack

T: +44 (0) 1582 840 024

E:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mitch, Jack, for the replies.

I've read the threads on the forum about the mitch hub, very nice piece of engineering! The motocorse hub looks like a very solid piece of kit too.
Still, it comes with a price. Especially mitch's hub, has to be shipped from the other side of the planet... Australia > Europe.

I think you would agree that it makes sense to first try to fix the bike by replacing a few bushings, instead of spending 600 euro's (700 USD).
If the bushings fix fails, I can always still buy a custom hub.

So if anyone has a bushing stack for sale, or know where to buy them, please let me know

The Netherlands
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:54 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I believe (maybe I'm wrong) that Joe stocks Mitchy's hubs in The UK (or is it Ireland now)... gotojoe.

As for the bushings, you might try an email to CAG. He still has a lot of stuff, even though he is no longer formally in the parts business. [email protected]

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 06:20 AM

New Site Garage
Try 'Star Twin Trading' (in Belgium I think). They used to be a forum sposor. They're pretty good for parts.

Cheers

Deano

2009 1078RR Brutale
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Try 'Star Twin Trading' (in Belgium I think). They used to be a forum sposor. They're pretty good for parts.

Cheers

Deano
Thank's for the tip! There's a star trading here in The Netherlands, I have sent them an e-mail asking for the availablility of the parts. Let's hope they have something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
I believe (maybe I'm wrong) that Joe stocks Mitchy's hubs in The UK (or is it Ireland now)... gotojoe.

As for the bushings, you might try an email to CAG. He still has a lot of stuff, even though he is no longer formally in the parts business. [email protected]
Hmm I found the ebay ad from Mitch himself on ebay, and it states it'll come from Australia... but I'll ask him when I really want to buy a new hub.
I emailed CAG too, let's see what's comes up Thanks for providing the email address!

The Netherlands
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:39 PM

I did this and haven’t look back. The new version is complete crap. It will fail again and you could be on the bike at that point.

Search the forum for my post concerning this. It’s got a lot of good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
Quote:

Video showing the play on the sprocket carrier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsnf17PF9eM
Video showing the difference between old and new cush drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6fSRcTUdPM
You could buy one of my hubs and all your worries will be over.
Also you could buy the upgraded sprocket carrier which is the same as the pre2010 models run which is trouble free.
I know it is costly,but it means total reliability.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 03:33 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Thank's for the tip! There's a star trading here in The Netherlands, I have sent them an e-mail asking for the availablility of the parts. Let's hope they have something!

Hmm I found the ebay ad from Mitch himself on ebay, and it states it'll come from Australia... but I'll ask him when I really want to buy a new hub.
I emailed CAG too, let's see what's comes up Thanks for providing the email address!

Yes,Joe (gotojoe) lives in Ireland and has stock,which makes shipping much cheaper for you.
The ebay price is inflated to cover their high commissions.
If you decide to buy a new hub buy it from Joe.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Last edited by mitchy; 09-06-2018 at 03:36 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 04:56 PM

New Site Garage
Same as Atom, I went for the Mitchy hub as I didn't want any more hassles. I had the upgraded hub after the original shit itself at 5000k. Now that's useless cos the spacers wear. Thought of buying new spacers but beside availability I'd have been in the same place a few years down the track if I keep my current mileage up. I'll machine my own spacers when I get time (if I can find original dimensions) and pass it on to someone in need. Crap design.

Cheers

Deano

2009 1078RR Brutale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode