Need rear hub spacer/bushing stack - Page 3 - MVAgusta.net
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroen.surf.nl View Post

If anyone is interested I can create a cad drawing on how the spacer looks like, with the ridge and all.

I would be interested for a CAD drawing if that is possible for you to do. I plan to take the bike this week to a service for them to start with the same procedure you have just been through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turismo Veloce 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Here's the drawing
The dimensions marked in yellow will be different per bike, this depends on the amount of wear. I asked for a spacer that was 18mm lenght and I had to machine a couple of mm off. But better too long than too short
On the top right image in the drawing you can clearly see the small ridge I machined.
Attached Images

Marko G. likes this.

'13 Brutale 800 Italia color scheme
The Netherlands
The Following User Says Thank You to jeroen.surf.nl For This Useful Post:
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko G. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Same as Atom, I went for the Mitchy hub as I didn't want any more hassles. I had the upgraded hub after the original shit itself at 5000k. Now that's useless cos the spacers wear. Thought of buying new spacers but beside availability I'd have been in the same place a few years down the track if I keep my current mileage up. I'll machine my own spacers when I get time (if I can find original dimensions) and pass it on to someone in need. Crap design.

Cheers

Deano
It seams I have the same problem like some of you, and my bike is just out of guarantee. It is 2016 TV model and I already changed rubber dampers twice... Bike has 17.400km now.
My dealer has no answer from the factory but he suggested we get someone to manufacture a new spacer (I guess a wider spacer) and that should eliminate the play and bushing wear. I could also upgrade to a new (old) design (gen. 1), but this will be around 500-600EUR investment minimum... When you say "Crap design" you refer to OEM or the Mitchy hub?

Did anyone manufacture new spacer for OEM design before moving to aftermarket hub?
Sorry for the late reply. The crap design is the second gen hub from MV Agusta. It’s so bad I won’t even sell my replacement part from MV. I don’t trust their work at all when it comes to hubs and I won’t endanger another person.

Get a Mitchy hub and ride with peace of mind.
theknurl, mitchy and Marko G. like this.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Latest news from my dealer, MV accepted my claim eventhough bike is out of the guarantee. They will send replacement parts. Nice positive surprise from MV. That's how you build brand loyalty!
Thanks MV!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MarcSilverTriple likes this.

Turismo Veloce 2016
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:08 AM

New Site Garage
I have the exact same issue since 4000 kms! I was just lucky to be alive since I just went to my dealer for chain tensioning and he said he can't do it because the hub and rear sprocket carrier has eaten each other to the level there's no more teeth left to tension the chain on the hub! Now I'm at 17.000kms.

I bought the upgraded DesignCorse hub and new drive rubbers. Dealer warned me still not drive like that even though the hub and cush drive rubbers are new. I should also replace the carrier and chain/sprocket kit asap. On the contrary to the usual debate on why hub fails as the hub bearings or spacer, he mentioned my worn out chain and sprocket will cause the additional play and rub in time even though I have a new hub and cush rubbers.

I think he was right since I tried to ignore what he said and in 200 kms, I see this (uploaded the pic). Excessive sprocket play and hub/carrier rubbing is back.

So now I'm waiting for a new order to arrive:
- New rear sprocket carrier (identical to 2018 and above MV carriers), flange and sprocket with cush drives
chain wheel adaptor Kit - bds-bikeparts
- New top hat spacer
Spacer Sleeve for back-bearing (MV Agusta) - bds-bikeparts
- New front sprocket
- EK 3D 525 chain.

I'm hoping this time my trouble would go away. Still wonder if I shouldn't have been hasty and get DesignCorse hub but choose Mitch hub instead..
Attached Images

Marko G. likes this.

Overdose Moto Garage
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:13 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroen.surf.nl View Post
Here's the drawing
The dimensions marked in yellow will be different per bike, this depends on the amount of wear. I asked for a spacer that was 18mm lenght and I had to machine a couple of mm off. But better too long than too short
On the top right image in the drawing you can clearly see the small ridge I machined.
Thanks for this!

Please correct me but these are not the original hat spacer dimensions right? I mean this is the increased length version yeah?

Overdose Moto Garage
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:10 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onuro View Post
I have the exact same issue since 4000 kms! I was just lucky to be alive since I just went to my dealer for chain tensioning and he said he can't do it because the hub and rear sprocket carrier has eaten each other to the level there's no more teeth left to tension the chain on the hub! Now I'm at 17.000kms.

I bought the upgraded DesignCorse hub and new drive rubbers. Dealer warned me still not drive like that even though the hub and cush drive rubbers are new. I should also replace the carrier and chain/sprocket kit asap. On the contrary to the usual debate on why hub fails as the hub bearings or spacer, he mentioned my worn out chain and sprocket will cause the additional play and rub in time even though I have a new hub and cush rubbers.

I think he was right since I tried to ignore what he said and in 200 kms, I see this (uploaded the pic). Excessive sprocket play and hub/carrier rubbing is back.

So now I'm waiting for a new order to arrive:
- New rear sprocket carrier (identical to 2018 and above MV carriers), flange and sprocket with cush drives
chain wheel adaptor Kit - bds-bikeparts
- New top hat spacer
Spacer Sleeve for back-bearing (MV Agusta) - bds-bikeparts
- New front sprocket
- EK 3D 525 chain.

I'm hoping this time my trouble would go away. Still wonder if I shouldn't have been hasty and get DesignCorse hub but choose Mitch hub instead..
While changing tires at 24000 km on Saturday, the dealer checked the cush drive rubbers wear, 10500 kms after last service (was done in January when slave cylinder and clutch sensor got replaced). During the 130 kms before I got few weird reaction while changing gear. Cush drive rubbers were worn out. No worry on the hub or the sprocket carrier itself (it was next step). They got changed (cost 7 euros). The dealer have them in inventory (many sets of them).
The service interval of 15000km is too high for those f*$k#&g small components at low costs. On the other MV, my dealer change them at every service (6000km for other bikes of MV Range). The only time he got a hub broken on the post 2010 hubs was on a bike that did not saw him for small step service (the 6000km versus 12000km) as the customer was used to do the maintenance itself. Basically, the cush drive rubbers are the faulty ones : when they wear out, the carrier is gaining movement and with the way the cush drives are designed, the sprocket carrier is no longer parallel to the hub under constraint… On the 2018 delivered bikes, they got back to the old gen design (the second one, the first one did not allowed the use of standard sprockets), and they went back to this design because it doesn't fail (mention on this video by Brian Gillen).
I mentioned BDS and other manufacturers to my dealer, as option to update the sprocket carrier and cush drive system. His main questions remains about :
  1. For how long we will find the cush drive rubbers for the alternatives?
  2. What is the service interval for those?
At this stage, I'm considering myself updating the system at next service, probably at the same time I'll change the chain and the front sprocket. I'm just not sure if I'll take "new" MV parts or an alternative, unless I'm able to answer the 2 previous questions...
Marko G. and Onuro like this.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Looking forward for MVArdeche event in 2019
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
I mentioned BDS and other manufacturers to my dealer, as option to update the sprocket carrier and cush drive system. His main questions remains about :
At this stage, I'm considering myself updating the system at next service, probably at the same time I'll change the chain and the front sprocket. I'm just not sure if I'll take "new" MV parts or an alternative, unless I'm able to answer the 2 previous questions...
I had this same questions so I choose to give MV one more chance. They will supply new parts free of charge anyway. I am not sure if those will be 2018 version or like mine that failed already at 17.000km (>2010)...if new one fails also I will get Mitchy one or just replace the bike.

Turismo Veloce 2016
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:44 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko G. View Post
I had this same questions so I choose to give MV one more chance. They will supply new parts free of charge anyway. I am not sure if those will be 2018 version or like mine that failed already at 17.000km (>2010)...if new one fails also I will get Mitchy one or just replace the bike.
Apparently, some TV owners who got their sprocket carrier replaced under warranty got the "new old" gen design. Hopefully, you'll get this for your bike.
Marko G. likes this.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Looking forward for MVArdeche event in 2019
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:51 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
While changing tires at 24000 km on Saturday, the dealer checked the cush drive rubbers wear, 10500 kms after last service (was done in January when slave cylinder and clutch sensor got replaced). During the 130 kms before I got few weird reaction while changing gear. Cush drive rubbers were worn out. No worry on the hub or the sprocket carrier itself (it was next step). They got changed (cost 7 euros). The dealer have them in inventory (many sets of them).
The service interval of 15000km is too high for those f*$k#&g small components at low costs. On the other MV, my dealer change them at every service (6000km for other bikes of MV Range). The only time he got a hub broken on the post 2010 hubs was on a bike that did not saw him for small step service (the 6000km versus 12000km) as the customer was used to do the maintenance itself. Basically, the cush drive rubbers are the faulty ones : when they wear out, the carrier is gaining movement and with the way the cush drives are designed, the sprocket carrier is no longer parallel to the hub under constraint… On the 2018 delivered bikes, they got back to the old gen design (the second one, the first one did not allowed the use of standard sprockets), and they went back to this design because it doesn't fail (mention on this video by Brian Gillen).
Update:

I've installed the sprocket carrier with the newer cush drive system to my TV 2015 and it works like charm! It's been more than a thousand kms and no more play, at least for a long time.
  1. It took 20 days including the wait for parts to arrive them and then to me. (from germany to turkey). Anyone in Euro zone it'd take less than a week.
  2. MV says the newer cush drive system (also looks like pre 2012 system) is way more reliable than the rubber ones. Considering most of our carriers fail before 15k kms.
esq'z me and Marko G. like this.

Overdose Moto Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode