Brand new F3, same old problems - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

I picked up my brand new 2018 F3 800 in June, and 3 months later it has spent 5 weeks in the workshop. The bike has only done 1000kms. Can't really say I'm enjoying the MV Agusta ownership experience....

Issues so far:-

*New battery fitted at 1st service. (I complained of long cranking before it starts).
*Moisture in the headlight - new one being fitted.
*Sprag clutch showing signs of imminent failure. Waiting for a new one.

The tech at my dealership remarked that if MV have improved the sprag clutches in any way, then it is not obvious to the eye.

I can't fault the way my dealership has looked after me. It's bad timing also because most of Italy was closed for summer holidays during August so that has exacerbated lead-times for warranty claims and parts.

I don't regret buying it - yet. I'll persist with it because it's such a beautiful thing but I won't be buying that exhaust I had my eye on.....I'll be long shot of this thing before the warranty expires so any more bling would be a waste of money.

That run-out S1000RR is starting to look more and more like it would have been a better idea......
anothermvfanatic likes this.

Last edited by zippy; 09-03-2018 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 04:05 AM

New Site Garage
Seriously why does everyones bike stay weeks on end in the workshop. Yes Italy shuts down in August, but this isnt the first story I read.
I had some annoying little things aswell, like small fuel leak, radiator cap not good seal, moisture in headlight, and the damn servo motor that gave the malfunction.

Fuel and Radiator cap was fixed in 4hours time during 1st service aswell. Also new and better battery placed during the 1st service.
Foggy headlight fixed in 2 hours time. PS: You dont need a brand new headlight just a new rubber seal for the plate that covers your H4 bulb, atleast that is what fixed my problem.
Servo motor, was a 1 day job they said but at the same time they unrestricted my engine.

All in all lets say 16 hours of work on the bike for 5 items. Took me 4 trips of 1 hour to the dealer, and 1 hour back.
Now I know America and Australia are just a tiny bit larger compared to Netherlands but make an appointed with your dealer and ask them to order the new parts.
Wait till parts are at dealer and then bring in your bike. So it doesnt just stand there, and you being frustrated you cant ride your bike at all.
nigelrb likes this.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:30 AM

New Site Garage
I had my sprag clutch F3 800 replaced by A1motorcycles in Ringwood a few weeks ago. A1 had the new sprag clutch on site in about 2 days. The actual Mv importer is located in Melbourne also. You should ask if they can install the latest euro 4 version of the sprag clutch. Hope it is all sorted soon for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I picked up my brand new 2018 F3 800 in June, and 3 months later it has spent 5 weeks in the workshop. The bike has only done 1000kms. Can't really say I'm enjoying the MV Agusta ownership experience....

Issues so far:-

*New battery fitted at 1st service. (I complained of long cranking before it starts).
*Moisture in the headlight - new one being fitted.
*Sprag clutch showing signs of imminent failure. Waiting for a new one.

The tech at my dealership remarked that if MV have improved the sprag clutches in any way, then it is not obvious to the eye.

I can't fault the way my dealership has looked after me. It's bad timing also because most of Italy was closed for summer holidays during August so that has exacerbated lead-times for warranty claims and parts.

I don't regret buying it - yet. I'll persist with it because it's such a beautiful thing but I won't be buying that exhaust I had my eye on.....I'll be long shot of this thing before the warranty expires so any more bling would be a waste of money.

That run-out S1000RR is starting to look more and more like it would have been a better idea......
How does a battery , moisture and sprag (that hasn't failed completely) result in your bike being in a workshop for 5 weeks?
jdgun likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:21 AM

New Site Garage
I have a 2014 F3 but with a 2018 engine it. Dropped a valve so they replaced it with a 2018 engine.

My sprag is going too. I thought the 2018 engines had the newest sprag that weren't suppose to fail as often...

Also, the gear sensor went within days of getting engine replaced. We replaced it with the sensor from blown engine.

Did you get your battery replaced with lithium ion battery? Now sure if it makes a difference because of my sprag going too...

Be patient if you can. Once the issues are worked out it will be worth the wait.

My engine blew last year at end of July and I didn't get bike back until October.

I had so many issues with my 2014 F3 but once they were resolved the bike is running great but it's always in the back of my mind of what is going to fail next.

I'm holding off on my exhaust too for same reasons...

Last edited by Angelo-MV; 09-03-2018 at 07:28 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 02:35 PM

sucks to hear about, especially on a new bike.
are they still using a shitty battery in these?

I wish i knew a bit more about the service history on my bike, but after reading through the posts on here I decided to try and counter some of the problems before they arise... Battery, dump exhaust servo, remove charcoal cannister, hope for the best, lol..
After seeing some new posts, will order up a aftermarket radiator cap.

Like Angelo-MV, bike has been running great after some love. but this should not be required on a new bike.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok ok..... To be fair, I have another bike so I told my dealer to keep it until it's fixed. However the sprag clutch was so temperamental I was never sure if I would get it going again after a stop....so I wasn't enjoying it since I had no confidence in it. It was fine 4 times out of 5 but then it'd leave you with a flat battery. Once it drained the battery straight after it had been on charge.

I am well aware these repairs are the work of a few hours. It's getting the warranty work approved over the month of August and getting parts that's taking time.

The battery that was in mine from new was apparently the same type they've always used. The tech said they just replace them at 1st service now as a matter of course if the customer has any starting complaints.

Last edited by zippy; 09-03-2018 at 05:55 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
On my previous F3's I had four sprags on the 800 and two on the RC. Now riding a 2018 DragsterRR Euro4, covered over 4000 miles and the bike has started first time every time.

With the Dragster there is no need to use the clutch and I have to say the starter sound is so much more positive, so I am somewhat surprised you are experiencing problems with the 2018 version
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 01:58 PM

I think Iím having the same sprag clutch issue on my Dragster RR. Iíve driven it 12 times this year and itís totally unreliable - just had it towed twice in 2 weeks ($$$$). Iím having the dealership pick it up and keep it until the Canadian Spring.

What doesnít MV understand, and it boggles my mind, is that their factory batteries are horrific (DOA) and they Really need to address the sprag clutch issue which I had on my Ď14 Rivale (incl. the battery issue).

Itís like selling a Lamborghini with sub-standard / low cost parts.

I bet you they put the same factory battery into the RVS#1 - would not be surprised.

Enjoy riding once your F3 is cleaned up! Especially given that youíre headed into Summer!

Best from Canada!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 01:59 PM

Beautiful Bike!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode