Valve / spring failure - DIY!!! - MVAgusta.net
 53Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
airjawed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Memphis
Posts: 564
New Site Garage
Valve / spring failure - DIY!!!

2014 F3 800 - 25,000 miles

Wanted to share the journey from valve failure to repaired. In my case on Aug 10, 2018 after an hour long ride of technical twisties the horrible sound of broken valve starts during my return home. Was idling at a light. Light turns green.... 2,000 rpm .... valve hits piston. Bike keeps running. Only 2 minutes from home. Ride home keeping rpm very low. Deal with it later!!

Eventually have the courage to have a look. Remove tank and air box cover. Can see right into the throttle body and confirm that one intake valve is broken.

Wanted to share the journey of dissasembly , repair and all that might go along with that.
Attached Images
 

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS

Last edited by airjawed; 08-31-2018 at 10:16 PM.
airjawed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
airjawed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Memphis
Posts: 564
New Site Garage
Make calls and see what my options are. It's Aug and Italy is closed. Nearest dealerships are 7 hours away. I'm outside of warranty given it's a 2014 with 25,000 miles. Good will warranty not likely. Looks like I'm doing the work myself outside of the head repair which is beyond my scope.

So, with the help of the amazing resource I'm in contact with ( some of you know and if not PM me) the work begins!!! I assumed the engine could drop out of the chassis but this bike is a little different. The bike is disassemble in three sections... front end with tubular frame , engine and rear section.

So, with a weekend of work I get to this:
Attached Images
 

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
airjawed is offline  
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
 
PTsalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,372
I would look at if the 2018 valve springs, valve guides and new cams (less lift , longer duration) can fit in your cylinder head.

Ive sent an email to MV (looks like the factory has opened as they replied) and they said ask the dealer. I ask the dealer and I get a idiot response so will be asking evolutionbike.it to ask the factory on my behalf.

I know the 2018 675 F3 has a single spring and the 800 dual springs.

Check this video

https://www.facebook.com/poweredbytu...5394981014879/
Black_Gold_Saw likes this.
PTsalas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
airjawed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Memphis
Posts: 564
New Site Garage
Yes, the big one is to use the new intake cam. I'm not sure how I'm going to source one but I've got my eyes/ears open. I'll post more pics when I have time but there is an improved valve guide available from the same place doing my head. They have a few options for race springs as well. The new F3 800 uses the same dual spring as the F4 according to sources.



Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
I would look at if the 2018 valve springs, valve guides and new cams (less lift , longer duration) can fit in your cylinder head.

Ive sent an email to MV (looks like the factory has opened as they replied) and they said ask the dealer. I ask the dealer and I get a idiot response so will be asking evolutionbike.it to ask the factory on my behalf.

I know the 2018 675 F3 has a single spring and the 800 dual springs.

Check this video

https://www.facebook.com/poweredbytu...5394981014879/

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
airjawed is offline  
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
airjawed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Memphis
Posts: 564
New Site Garage
Pics with updated guide
Attached Images
        
Black_Gold_Saw likes this.

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
airjawed is offline  
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Black_Gold_Saw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,589
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
I would look at if the 2018 valve springs, valve guides and new cams (less lift , longer duration) can fit in your cylinder head.

Ive sent an email to MV (looks like the factory has opened as they replied) and they said ask the dealer. I ask the dealer and I get a idiot response so will be asking evolutionbike.it to ask the factory on my behalf.

I know the 2018 675 F3 has a single spring and the 800 dual springs.

Check this video

https://www.facebook.com/poweredbytu...5394981014879/
Interesting video.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black_Gold_Saw is online now  
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 527
Going to love to hear about your head after it is finished.. will there be any modifications to the cylinder head or chambers?
jdgun is offline  
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Angelo-MV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 372
New Site Garage
I would port, polish and match the head with exhaust. Then decat the stock headers and replace the air filter 🙂

Lots of credit to you and all the work you are doing. I hope I will not have to go down this road one day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgun View Post
Going to love to hear about your head after it is finished.. will there be any modifications to the cylinder head or chambers?
jdgun likes this.
Angelo-MV is offline  
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
airjawed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Memphis
Posts: 564
New Site Garage
According to my source doing head work:

The 2018 cam will fit the earlier bikes. It solves most of the reliability problems. Your engine now has significantly longer intake guides to stabilize the valve. 2017 and up have improved intake valves but they are very expensive. Just updating the guide and camshaft significantly improved reliability in the race motors I have been building

So, my head is repaired and upgraded with longer intake guides. If I can get the newest revision of intake cam then I'll basically cover most of the problems seen with previous head.

This is just like screwing in a lightbulb. Or maybe one million lightbulbs!!
PTsalas likes this.

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
airjawed is offline  
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
PTsalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
According to my source doing head work:

The 2018 cam will fit the earlier bikes. It solves most of the reliability problems. Your engine now has significantly longer intake guides to stabilize the valve. 2017 and up have improved intake valves but they are very expensive. Just updating the guide and camshaft significantly improved reliability in the race motors I have been building

So, my head is repaired and upgraded with longer intake guides. If I can get the newest revision of intake cam then I'll basically cover most of the problems seen with previous head.

This is just like screwing in a lightbulb. Or maybe one million lightbulbs!!
Replace your clutch basket with the latest updated part while you have the motor apart. Would seriously suck to break a basket after all the effort put in on the head.

Please share the parts and part numbers of any parts replaced.
PTsalas is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome