2018 B3 800 RR ownership issues. - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
2018 B3 800 RR ownership issues.

So I'm a month into owning my brutale, and about a week in it came up with an exhaust valve error on the dash.

Bit of a funny one really...

Took the bike back to where I bought it from as it was ready for it's first service, and was told they didn't have the correct computer to deal with it...

So they paid for it to be transported to motocorsa in Gillingham (uk) where the experts on all things MV removed the valve cables and fitted a healtech exhaust servo eliminator, as the tech advised as it's a common fault and would be better to bypass it.

The bike comes back and the van driver said they would have given it a test ride to make sure...i check and the odometer hasnt changed at all.

I go for a ride... and the bikes flat as a pancake, with no power... and the error is back on the dash. I pull over and check the valve itself, and discover that the tech has actually wired the valve shut (handle bar metal wire or whatever). These guys are supposed to be the experts but even I figured out which way the valve actuates...

So the errors still on the dash and won't clear as of yet. I pull the USB manual out thinking to look for the battery to reset the codes and guess what... the bloody USB doesn't work..

Some error comes up on the PC and the Mac won't even see the thing...

Is this normal for MV ownership?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:50 PM

New Site Garage
I used the healtech on my F3 800 and the error went away immediately. Can you confirm the servo eliminator is actually on the bike. Seeing that the valve was wired the wrong way shut I put nothing past the dealership.

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 05:28 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
@lostscot: Any dealership that would recommend bastardizing a brand new, in warranty, bike would not get my vote of confidence.

That being said. a little research will show you the number of exhaust valve errors that pop up and the myriad ways to remedy them. I would simply cut the dealer installed wires holding the exhaust valve shut...it should spring return to OPEN.

Now, the next part is a birt tricky: You want to remove main power from the bike. There should be a fuse legend in your USER MANUAL which should have come as a hard copy in the box of stuff that comes along with the bike. THe USB fob is supposed to allow access to web content...but I don't think that is available, yet. Teh 2018 manuals haven't been captured here for distribution yet either...that I am aware of.

Removing main electrical power from the bike for a few minutes will let the ECU reset to base and it will let the dash reset to base. The error should then go away.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
I would simply cut the dealer installed wires holding the exhaust valve shut...it should spring return to OPEN.
Researching the fault i found a lot of similar stories too, so when it first happened i just unhooked the exhaust cables from the valve itself so it did stay open until the bike went to the dealer for a long term fix. Imagine my surprise then when i found out they had wired the valve to stay in it's closed position! Luckily I managed to remove the wires on the roadside with a pair of pliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Removing main electrical power from the bike for a few minutes will let the ECU reset to base and it will let the dash reset to base. The error should then go away.
Roger that - take the fuse out instead of disconnecting the battery - that sounds much easier and smarter

The dealer just got back to me 5mins ago with lots of apologies, and want to send the van back out to pick it up just on basic principle to check the whole thing over again. Given it's a 3hr round trip, it makes me feel a little happier now with them!

I was also told that you could go online and check with MV about the service history and which version of the firmware the bike has etc, but unless i'm being stupid i can't seem to find any indication that that exists as an option...

Sorry for all the questions, i know it can be a pain.

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 07:24 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
You can get ahold of MVA through their FB page and try to get that information. I don't know if anyone has been successful with that approach.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
The Following User Says Thank You to silentservice703 For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:37 AM

I went through the same story with my 18 B800RR.

I had the same error on my dash and called my dealer, who went into holidays next day. App 4000 km on the bike.

He told me to put on a healtech servo eliminator to get rid of the error.

Fortunately I got one from my former RSV4 - same order #.

Had asked my dealer whether I had to start the engine, rev it or something else.
He told me, that the valve was open when the engine was off.

So I installed the Healtech and went for a ride - bike felt like a 125 cc Moped .
At home I put off the exhaust and the the valve was fully CLOSED .
So I reved the engine to app 7000 rpm and cut it off. Now the valve was fully open.

Could not ride it afterwards as I ran into issues with my knees .

During my first test ride with the valve closed the error did not disappear - but Healtech says, it would go away after a view starts.
Will bring it to my dealer to have the valve problem fixed.

On my RSV4 I had never had a problem, worked for over 16000 km flawless.
Same Mikuni Servo, same valve (from what it looks like).
But on the 800RR they installed the valve after the cat and so in big heat, on the RSV4 it was in front of the cat and for sure cooler.
lostscot likes this.

I motori sono come le donne, bisogna saperli toccare nelle parti piu' sensibili.......
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2018 Brutale 800RR
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:54 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via MSN to gotfolk Send a message via Skype™ to gotfolk
IF you choose to go the healtech route, they make quality stuff!! I have one of their exhaust servo eliminators on my bike.

I would highly recommend them.
lostscot likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Just did an idiot check to make sure they did install it theyíve removed all of the servo motors and cables from the bike instead of leaving them in situ. Not sure if thatís a good thing or bad, but surprised that they didnít come back in a bag with the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 10:44 AM

May be the Healtech servo eliminator does not work on an Euro4 bike as here the servo is checked by CAN bus due to regulations.

Many KTM 1290 Euro 4 owners went through the same problems with errors on the dash as only the cables were stuck a little bit or cable lenght was not correct to 0,1 mm or something...

I motori sono come le donne, bisogna saperli toccare nelle parti piu' sensibili.......
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2018 Brutale 800RR
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostscot View Post
So I'm a month into owning my brutale, and about a week in it came up with an exhaust valve error on the dash.

Bit of a funny one really...

Took the bike back to where I bought it from as it was ready for it's first service, and was told they didn't have the correct computer to deal with it...

So they paid for it to be transported to motocorsa in Gillingham (uk) where the experts on all things MV removed the valve cables and fitted a healtech exhaust servo eliminator, as the tech advised as it's a common fault and would be better to bypass it.

The bike comes back and the van driver said they would have given it a test ride to make sure...i check and the odometer hasnt changed at all.

I go for a ride... and the bikes flat as a pancake, with no power... and the error is back on the dash. I pull over and check the valve itself, and discover that the tech has actually wired the valve shut (handle bar metal wire or whatever). These guys are supposed to be the experts but even I figured out which way the valve actuates...

So the errors still on the dash and won't clear as of yet. I pull the USB manual out thinking to look for the battery to reset the codes and guess what... the bloody USB doesn't work..

Some error comes up on the PC and the Mac won't even see the thing...

Is this normal for MV ownership?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

That is disgraceful, who were the original dealer? Surely if they were an MV dealer they would have the equipment. If not why did you buy it from them

For the other dealer to fit a Healtech instead or resolving the problem, is unbelievable.

What was their explanation?

It does make you lose faith in some of the dealers, of which they are few and far between

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode