7Likes
  • 3 Post By airjawed
  • 1 Post By airjawed
  • 3 Post By airjawed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
3 Cylinder Head differences?

I most likely have a valve failure and looking to perform my own repairs. I have yet to open the bike up and discover the extent of failure but I may have been lucky as far as cylinder head failures can be. Failure happened basically at idle with very little rpm used afterwards. Engine didn't even stall.

My question is if all the 3 cylinder heads were similar in terms of the block of metal. I know the cam/spring/valves are different but I can source used 3 cylinder heads from bikes other than F3 800's. Its August in Italy and I would like to make my track day in Oct!

On a positive note: I got 25,000 miles on the bike. Never a garage queen! Looking forward to having it back to what it was!!

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:40 PM

Im at 23k and believe I also may have this same issue.

What are your symptoms?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
PM sent

I have opened up the intake air box and am able to see that I have a failed intake valve at cylinder 2. Tried to get a good picture with camera but the girlfriend pulls up at the time complaining of the heat. Also tried to get my old micro usb endoscope working but it won't with my new phone. I'll have pics soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Im at 23k and believe I also may have this same issue.

What are your symptoms?

Last edited by airjawed; 08-15-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 PM

New Site Garage
Didn't you check the valve clearance not too long ago? If so I guess it doesn't matter if they are in spec or not for them to fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
I most likely have a valve failure and looking to perform my own repairs. I have yet to open the bike up and discover the extent of failure but I may have been lucky as far as cylinder head failures can be. Failure happened basically at idle with very little rpm used afterwards. Engine didn't even stall.

My question is if all the 3 cylinder heads were similar in terms of the block of metal. I know the cam/spring/valves are different but I can source used 3 cylinder heads from bikes other than F3 800's. Its August in Italy and I would like to make my track day in Oct!

On a positive note: I got 25,000 miles on the bike. Never a garage queen! Looking forward to having it back to what it was!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I did and they were in spec at 24,000 miles. Most likely the spring failed leading to valve to cylinder disagreement! I'll be opening up the head this weekend and have more information when that is done. All the other intake valves including on the same cylinder are actually still good... they all hold fluid when sprayed into the throttle body(throttle body cleaner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo-MV View Post
Didn't you check the valve clearance not too long ago? If so I guess it doesn't matter if they are in spec or not for them to fail...

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
I did and they were in spec at 24,000 miles. Most likely the spring failed leading to valve to cylinder disagreement! I'll be opening up the head this weekend and have more information when that is done. All the other intake valves including on the same cylinder are actually still good... they all hold fluid when sprayed into the throttle body(throttle body cleaner).
Keep us in the loop with regards to what parts you get (OEM etc) for your re-build.

Looks like valve springs and thereafter the guides are the items causing the failures. I think MV have the dual spring setup on the new 800s and a revised single spring setup on the 675. Both have revised valve guides.

In my case, do you think it will be worth the effort to take off the head and replace the springs and guides with updated parts? It is the guides that I worry about the most as an engineering shop would have to do that and trust is a major issue of mine. Another option is ride it to failure then replace...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I've got a great resource who was part of MV usa. I'll be pulling the head of today or so and sending pics and sending to him for the repair. APE is also a great machine shop that can rebuild heads in the US.

My attitude is fix it as you go. This stuff is meant to be used and enjoyed. In my case I do my own labor for the most part. If I had to have a shop do this stuff all the time I'd be broke and likely not even be in this hobby.

Sometimes I like to think of all the parts going down the highway that can fail. All those cars and all those valves just waiting to fail! Just kidding. Don't think of all the negatives. Enjoy life and move forward!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
Keep us in the loop with regards to what parts you get (OEM etc) for your re-build.

Looks like valve springs and thereafter the guides are the items causing the failures. I think MV have the dual spring setup on the new 800s and a revised single spring setup on the 675. Both have revised valve guides.

In my case, do you think it will be worth the effort to take off the head and replace the springs and guides with updated parts? It is the guides that I worry about the most as an engineering shop would have to do that and trust is a major issue of mine. Another option is ride it to failure then replace...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
1.5 hours yesterday and 2.5 hours today gets me this!!
Attached Images

Black_Gold_Saw, jdgun and Mutsuaki like this.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
So I was able to remove head and reveal the issue. As suspected by my contact the valve spring broke leading to associated damages. Will be replacing head and piston for cylinder 2 and possibly connecting rod.
Attached Images

Black_Gold_Saw likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
More pics
Attached Images

nk140, Black_Gold_Saw and gotfolk like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode