Major disappointment with my B3 - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Major disappointment with my B3

Last Sunday when I was riding at around 70km my bike suddenly turned itself off. Luckily I was on a main straight and I could pull over safely. I found that the main ignition fuse was blown. Quickly replaced the fuse with the spare one in the start solenoid and it started again. I was overjoy but thought it might be good idea to head back home. Rode for about 500m and the fuse brew again. Got a service station nearly so I bought 3-4 30amp fuses. Put back in, rode for a short distance, and all brew.

I just purchased a new battery just over 12 months ago. The bike has been working fine and attended 3 trackdays in the last 3 months without any issues. Major service was done just over 4 weeks ago and it was fine then.

Now my bike is in the MV authorised dealer in Sydney and it just ran out of warranty. They are still trying to find the cause of the issue. It's been there for over 2 weeks now and still no news. The technical director advised that the bike is "half broken" and they tried many things such as swapping the alternator, different parts. The bike can run for a while but the fuse will eventually blow. They are confident once the fault is found it can be fixed quickly.

I am at a cross road at the moment because I am seriously considering leaving the Brand. I love MV and all its passion. However, I cannot deal with unreliability like this. I think they are the most beautiful bike. I was considering buying an F3 as I want to get into supersport. However, I am seriously concerned about having issues, and considering the money you pay there are much better deals out there.

I just hope this can be sorted soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 12:20 AM

New Site Garage
Hopefully Mv Australia will cover this under a goodwill warranty repair. Sorry to hear your experience and hopefully up and running soon
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:57 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
If the problem is caused by a true defect in manufacture or material and it began while under warranty then the warranty should cover it. Just because warranty expired prior to repair does not negate the date of failure being within warranty.

Don't understand why a competent and knowledgeable technician can't diagnose a basic electrical fault.....although today's bikes have much more complex electrical systems than bikes in the past, and technicians were lousy at electrical diagnosis then too.

Hope they find the simple (it's always something simple, just not simple to find) problem and get you back on the road soon.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
For clarity...which fuse blew? You say "Main Ignition"...are you referring to the one on the start solenoid, or another fuse?

A 40 amp fuse draw is very large. Blowing a fuse of that size is usually the result of a direct short to ground, or the build up of IxIxR load due to corroded or poor connections.
cruiser and Ducati23 like this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:16 AM

New Site Garage
703 is spot on. If it is popping the main 40 amp it is shorting to ground somewhere. A good tech will find the problem, but it can take some time.

Swapping components, checking & cleaning the connections, testing the harness, close visual inspection of the wiring, etc all takes time.

I had a Honda CBR popping main fuses once. Turned out to be a chaffed wire shorting to a sub frame rail found by a close visual inspection. Best of Luck. Cheers

"Italian Motorcycles - turning riders into mechanics since... well Forever"

D23
CCS/ASRA #19
Staff Instructor SBTT South
'Yamaha R1 Superbike
MV F3RC
Zuma 125
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Yes the main 30 amp fuse keep blowing. It is located inside the start solenoid. When it is blown, there is no power. Nothing comes up on dash.

If it was a wire shorting circuit somewhere, would it be covered under warranty??
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 AM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexi View Post
Yes the main 30 amp fuse keep blowing. It is located inside the start solenoid. When it is blown, there is no power. Nothing comes up on dash.

If it was a wire shorting circuit somewhere, would it be covered under warranty??

If it is caused by a defect in material or workmanship...YES.

If it caused by something someone has done during service or modifications after it left the factory...NO.

So if the factory routed a wire, untouched since factory assembly, in a manner that it has chaffed and shorted out...that would be warranty. Or if a component of the electrical system has failed internally creating a short....that would be warranty.
flexi likes this.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

A quick update. The MV dealer has finally contacted me and said that they couldn't locate the fault. Therefore they cannot gurantee that it has been fixed, because it may happen again. They said this is the 2nd best thing they can do.

They said that they suspect corrison of the connector may have contributed the fault (blowing the main fuse). They said they have swapped parts to test, and cleaned all connection points. Since then they were not able to replicate the fault.

They have been keeping the bike for more than 4 weeks. They said they are at the point where they need to hand the bike back to me because they couldn't locate the fault.

They also said it is not warrantable because I think they couldn't identify the fault, and there will be a charge. I haven't picked up the bike yet because I am unsure if I should pursue it further, or just pick it up and hoping it won't happen again.

I am quite disappointed with the outcome because I know full well that this may happen again. And, this fault could be fatal. If this happens when I am doing high speed cornering I am very likely to crash. Not to mention I am already worried that the fault might happen after I picked up the bike and ride on the motorway back home.

I've owned this bike brand new for 3 1/2 years. Bought it from this dealership. I follow the servicing routine without fail. Just had its major service 6 weeks before this happened. How could a well cared for bike, under 4 years old, can have such a catastrophic failure like this and it is not covered by manufacturing warranty? I am at a loss. I have lost complete faith in MV.

I like to hear more feedback from the members here. thanks for reading.

Last edited by flexi; 08-27-2018 at 10:33 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:36 AM

New Site Garage
You could contact the MV Agusta importer https://urbanmotoimports.com.au/ or your local consumer affairs department for further clarification. Consumer affairs would’ve able to clarify your rights under statuatory warranty. https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files...20business.pdf Some light reading.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:56 AM
Old Wing Nut

If they have inspected the bike, cleaned up found corrosion on connections, and have not experienced your original concern since, then they have done all they can do. You can not fix a problem that can not be replicated.

No defect was found. Corrosion is environmental deterioration and is not a manufacturer defect.

Any brand of machine could have an odd failure at any time, it is not a predictable occurrence.

Motorcycles are inherently dangerous. A skilled rider should be able to compensate for sudden loss of power in most conditions, but there is never a guarantee you will return safely from any ride you take.

I would suggest you sell/trade your bike, as you have lost confidence and will never be comfortable. I suggest you get a HonKawSuzYam or just quit riding bikes all together.
theknurl and Ducati23 like this.

Last edited by esq'z me; 08-28-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode