2014 F3 800 ABS - 24,000 Miles Service Done - MVAgusta.net
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By airjawed
  • 1 Post By PTsalas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
2014 F3 800 ABS - 24,000 Miles Service Done

Thought it might be nice to see some success stories coming out of the 3 cylinder platform. Lots of bad news theses days but the good thing is that MV has been taking care of the issues from what I hear. I've got 24,000 miles on my 2014 F3 800 ABS model.

Valve clearance was in spec for intake and exhaust valves at 17,000 miles and is still in spec at 24,000 miles.

Timing chain keeping the cams in time at 17,000 miles and still looking good at 24,000 miles.

Since I do my own servicing due to being 6-7 hours away from an MV dealer I've been replacing the sprag clutch even if there is no issue. Most of the work is getting to the part so I just swap it out for a new one. Last sprag replaced at 17,000 miles and provided 7,000 miles of good starts ( I use my bike during the week as well so at least 4-5 starts on any given day). I did install a lithium battery and have a clutch switch bypass button so that I can do a start without pulling the clutch.

I replaced the drive chain recently along with all the normal wear and tear items. Tires, brake pads, oil and filters and numerous rear section light bulbs... vibrations!

I ride hard and have been since getting the bike with 3,000 miles. That's 21,000 miles under my ownership. I don't deliberately abuse it but I do wheelies and I have taken it to its top speed a few times. But, mostly I ride twisty and technical roads. I am not bragging or saying that the issues out there are not real. I just wanted to put out a feel good story coming out of the 3 cylinder platform.

Oh, and it feels good to do a servicing and hear it fire up when it is back together again. I did goof up and allowed the timing chain to hop a tooth on the intake side. I tried to shortcut the chain tensioner adjustment after hearing too much chain rattle. My fault (also girlfriends fault for being bored thus requiring my attention). But I got it to where it needed to be and the rattle gone.

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Great write-up, Air. Always good to see some balance, but very few seem to post the positives.

Also good that you're racking up the mileage and enjoying it. I'm in the other camp: 6885 miles on my 2007 F4, but enjoying it just as much!!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:05 AM

Im having more challenges posting on this forum at the moment than issues with my 2012 F3. Second time im replying and is getting mega frustrating.

So typing this out again, im on 12 000km and all seems good. I replaced the battery with a lithium polymer unit and revised throttle grip in 2014 and that seems to have avoided me the issues other owners have had.

I do have some silver glitter in my oil changes (since new), but as it is non ferrous, Im not quite sure if its anything to worry about.

Other than the rear wheel nut that was an issue to remove due to some corrosion, all good (knock on wood).
esq'z me likes this.

Last edited by PTsalas; 07-11-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode