Strange throttle issue - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Strange throttle issue

I'm currently having a strange issue occur when I'm on the throttle past, for sake of the discussion, 65mph. The engine sounds like it's responding. It wails like a banshee when I'm full throttle however the bike only gains 1mph every half second. It's really strange because like I said the engine sounds like its going ball to the wall but the bike is slowly speeding up. This does not occur before 65mph and I haven't had a chance to test if it is gear position related. I do notice that it seems to be a lot louder then normal but I'm not sure if it's related. Could be my ears or the fact that I haven't ridden in awhile.

Called the dealer and waiting for a reply. 5 week wait for service... I'm kinda sad cause I just got cleared to ride again after shoulder surgery and it kills me to see my bike this way. It's been sitting for around 1 1/2 months.

Any help is great.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:30 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
What does your RPM indicate as you apply throttle?

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
I'm currently having a strange issue occur when I'm on the throttle past, for sake of the discussion, 65mph. The engine sounds like it's responding. It wails like a banshee when I'm full throttle however the bike only gains 1mph every half second. It's really strange because like I said the engine sounds like its going ball to the wall but the bike is slowly speeding up. This does not occur before 65mph and I haven't had a chance to test if it is gear position related. I do notice that it seems to be a lot louder then normal but I'm not sure if it's related. Could be my ears or the fact that I haven't ridden in awhile.

Called the dealer and waiting for a reply. 5 week wait for service... I'm kinda sad cause I just got cleared to ride again after shoulder surgery and it kills me to see my bike this way. It's been sitting for around 1 1/2 months.

Any help is great.
This is not a throttle issue. Your clutch is slipping!

This is an ongoing issue on my F3 with slipper clutch. Exact same symptoms The bolts (the ones with the springs) holding the pressure plates tight work loose and you lose traction. It sounds absolutely fantastic except that you aren't moving. It might only be a bolt or two, but enough to slip the clutch at high torque revs (on acceleration).

Hydraulic or cable clutch?

Take off the clutch cover, Im 99% sure you have the same problem as what I had. You will see some of the bolts loose.

Search the forum here under clutch slipping, you might find my thread from 2015.

I believe it is a quick solution so nothing to worry about. Just do it early before you cook your clutch pack.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by PTsalas; 06-17-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
What does your RPM indicate as you apply throttle?
Great question. Reacts as normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
This is not a throttle issue. Your clutch is slipping!

This is an ongoing issue on my F3 with slipper clutch. Exact same symptoms The bolts (the ones with the springs) holding the pressure plates tight work loose and you lose traction. It sounds absolutely fantastic except that you aren't moving. It might only be a bolt or two, but enough to slip the clutch at high torque revs (on acceleration).

Hydraulic or cable clutch?

Take off the clutch cover, Im 99% sure you have the same problem as what I had. You will see some of the bolts loose.

Search the forum here under clutch slipping, you might find my thread from 2015.

I believe it is a quick solution so nothing to worry about. Just do it early before you cook your clutch pack.

Hope it helps.
Very interesting idea. I did have problems getting into 3rd/4th gear. Took it to the dealer and he said he made an adjustment but never told me what he did. I'll speak with them again and check for your post. I feel confident that I can do the work myself and save some money.

I'll report back my findings.

Edit: Is this the post? If so do I require any special tools to do this? I believe you mentioned a special clutch holding tool.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/129-ma...vice-life.html

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR

Last edited by Atom; 06-17-2018 at 12:31 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 10:40 AM

With that information, yes, your clutch is slipping.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
With that information, yes, your clutch is slipping.
Thank you for the information. I've never repaired a clutch before. Is there anything I need to know that's specific to MV Agusta?

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Great question. Reacts as normal.

Very interesting idea. I did have problems getting into 3rd/4th gear. Took it to the dealer and he said he made an adjustment but never told me what he did. I'll speak with them again and check for your post. I feel confident that I can do the work myself and save some money.

I'll report back my findings.

Edit: Is this the post? If so do I require any special tools to do this? I believe you mentioned a special clutch holding tool.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/129-ma...vice-life.html

You don't need to get to the clutch holding tool... That is for the center nut to remove the basket. You are not going to need that as you are not dismantling your clutch.

You only have to:

1. Disconnect the clutch cable
2. Remove the bolts holding the clutch cover,
3. Remove the clutch cover,
4. tighten the first 6 hex bolts that hold the pressure plate of the clutch. See picture 8 of the thread you found (800 clutch life)
5. Re-assemble

You don't need anything special, only Hex and Torx. You don't even need to drain the oil. Just be careful you don't damage the clutch cover gasket when removing as replacement is not easily found and not all dealers keep it in stock. If in doubt let the dealer check it.

The removal and of the clutch-cover might be a slight challenge if you have never worked on a bike before, specifically the center linkage that ties to the clutch cable.

I dont know your level of skill, and some things which are easy might not be for you. If your bike is under warranty definitely let the dealer do it.

Regarding difficulty getting into 3rd and 4th you mentioned:

The clutch doesn't affect you getting into specific gears, that would be your transmission and a separate issue all together from the issue of the slippage.

I would recommend adjusting your gear select lever or going with a reverse pattern shift. Reverse pattern is much easier as you stomp down rather than lift up to shift up. CNC racing has a decent cost effective kit as you don't need to change rear sets.

For more info, search this issue as I remember several threads on it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
You don't need to get to the clutch holding tool... That is for the center nut to remove the basket. You are not going to need that as you are not dismantling your clutch.

You only have to:

1. Disconnect the clutch cable
2. Remove the bolts holding the clutch cover,
3. Remove the clutch cover,
4. tighten the first 6 hex bolts that hold the pressure plate of the clutch. See picture 8 of the thread you found (800 clutch life)
5. Re-assemble

You don't need anything special, only Hex and Torx. You don't even need to drain the oil. Just be careful you don't damage the clutch cover gasket when removing as replacement is not easily found and not all dealers keep it in stock. If in doubt let the dealer check it.

The removal and of the clutch-cover might be a slight challenge if you have never worked on a bike before, specifically the center linkage that ties to the clutch cable.

I dont know your level of skill, and some things which are easy might not be for you. If your bike is under warranty definitely let the dealer do it.

Regarding difficulty getting into 3rd and 4th you mentioned:

The clutch doesn't affect you getting into specific gears, that would be your transmission and a separate issue all together from the issue of the slippage.

I would recommend adjusting your gear select lever or going with a reverse pattern shift. Reverse pattern is much easier as you stomp down rather than lift up to shift up. CNC racing has a decent cost effective kit as you don't need to change rear sets.

For more info, search this issue as I remember several threads on it.
Thank you for the info. After taking the clutch cover off I did not notice any bolts backing out. I did notice that someone else had been there before me as a few bolt heads were chewed up but nothing bad. After loosening all the bolts and tightening them to spec I put the cover back on. That darn clutch cable thing was a teaser but I got it on and did a few laps around the block to confirm everything is ok.

The bike performed well but I was not able to get it up to the correct speed to test. I'll test it tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

If this isn't the problem does anyone have another idea?

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:19 AM

There are a couple of "Slipping Clutch" threads going on right now.

Other suggestions are to ensure your clutch cable isn't binding or in poor adjustment and, if that's ok, then to replace clutch springs with beefier units.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

SIlent do you know of any companies located within the USA that can ship? If possible Id like to skip a month long shipping from the UK experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode