Starting Issues...Sprag or Something Else - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Starting Issues...Sprag or Something Else

Video linked below...

Not sure if sprag or some other issue. Heard the dreaded sprag bang a couple of times. Seems to happen most during first start of day.
Brand new 2018 engine with about 3,500 miles on it. Before I dropped valve on my old engine the sprag needed to be replaced around the same milage.

https://youtu.be/KOLfIRX0lw0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:54 PM

New Site Garage
It is hesitating the way the sprag issue does. But it doesn't have the clack sound that I've heard. So, not really completely sure. Unplug the lines from the bottom of the fuel tank for overflow and evap and then see how it does. If you've got a leak in those lines or have them crossed over you can get hard starts as well.

I'm on the fence based on the video if it is sprag or not.

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I'm on the fence too. It just started happening so I do not think the fuel lines are crossed. I'll have dealer double check the lines since they put the new engine in.

I also filled up my tank too much one day and it leaked from the overflow tube to the bottom of bike so the lines seem to be correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
It is hesitating the way the sprag issue does. But it doesn't have the clack sound that I've heard. So, not really completely sure. Unplug the lines from the bottom of the fuel tank for overflow and evap and then see how it does. If you've got a leak in those lines or have them crossed over you can get hard starts as well.

I'm on the fence based on the video if it is sprag or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:18 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Not touching the throttle ??? You shouldn't be if you are. Sounds more like a lean cold start situation...

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:43 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Not touching the throttle ??? You shouldn't be if you are. Sounds more like a lean cold start situation...
I agree.

If I start my F3 800 after more than 2 weeks of not using it, I get this same way of starting.
Once it has fired up it starts OK after you stop it.

From a set op cheap starter cables and 10A Anderson conectors I made a jump starter set.
At cold start I hook up an extra battery.
With the extra Amps (and revs) of the extra battery it starts almost immediately and I hope the sprag clutch will last longer.

Not ideal but does the trick for me.
Teeps and Teeps like this.

2013 F3 800 (track only)

The older you get, the faster you was
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Not touching the throttle and I start bike every day and ride it. Every now and then it does the same after it is warmed up. I upgraded all the battery cables when new engine was installed.

Throwing in some headers and a can some time soon with a new map so I guess I'll know then.

Bike just came out of warranty but I should be covered if it's the sprag.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriwaki View Post
Quote:
I agree.

If I start my F3 800 after more than 2 weeks of not using it, I get this same way of starting.
Once it has fired up it starts OK after you stop it.

From a set op cheap starter cables and 10A Anderson conectors I made a jump starter set.
At cold start I hook up an extra battery.
With the extra Amps (and revs) of the extra battery it starts almost immediately and I hope the sprag clutch will last longer.

Not ideal but does the trick for me.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:08 PM

A modern vehicle should not behave like what is happening in your posted video. Something is definitely not right.
Due to having multiple bikes, sometimes my MV might go up to 10 days sitting under the covers. I have found that the starter motor time is reduced if I turn the key on, then allow 5-10 seconds for the fuel pump to prime the system before I hit the start button.
As posted above, it would appear to be a lean start issue. I would be looking through the fuel system and doing a renovation - fuel filter, injector clean, check air filter, tank vent hoses etc. while the air box is off, have a look down the inlet manifolds to check for any build up on the inlet valves and in the inlet tract.
Don’t forget to check all the rubber tubes and caps for any possible air leaks, which will give a lean condition.
Whilst they are in there, I would ask for the related sensor connectors to be unplugged, cleaned and lubed and then re assembled.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Wondering how these two factors come into play...if they do.

Used different gas yesterday than my normal station and started bike later in day when it was much warmer out and bike started right away.

Hmm...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:02 PM

New Site Garage
What fuel do you normally use? Ethanol? 93 (USA)?

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Yes 93 USA so of course it has ethanol...
Non ethonal 98 is about 10 bucks a gallon here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
What fuel do you normally use? Ethanol? 93 (USA)?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode