New F3 - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:03 AM

New Site Garage
Not bad for 108 degrees F! These bikes do not like to ride slow or in partial throttle openings in terms of heat. They are meant to be ridden wide open and hard. Do me a favor and ride it hard after the temp gauge stops blinking for a cold engine warning. It will run rich enough and probably stay at 3 bars.

Today I rode behind Porsche 911 turbo cabriolet. Normally the leader has one of 16 bikes but he is moving so car it was today. Anyway, the pace was a little slower than usual (not by much)and my temp gauge did sit at middle or 1 above. It never does that when I'm by myself.

Fuel cools the engine. A sport bike uses fuel to control temps. Running at part throttle the bike cares more about emissions so it will run hotter and cleaner.

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:19 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
These bikes do not like to ride slow or in partial throttle openings in terms of heat. They are meant to be ridden wide open and hard. Do me a favor and ride it hard after the temp gauge stops blinking for a cold engine warning. It will run rich enough and probably stay at 3 bars.
This is why F3 engines will blow.

Just bequase the temperature gauge stops blinking doesnt mean engine is warm and ready to crank that bitch up to 15.000rpm.
Hell no, I have to dissagree with that.

Im definitely not an expert, heck im a rookie in this but I'd say a solid 10-20 minutes is needed to completely warm up engine components. You know engineblock itself, oil, coolant. Then the fun begins.
GCBC, GCBC, nigelrb and 1 others like this.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Black_Gold_Saw; 06-23-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: adding text.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Gold_Saw View Post

Just because the temperature gauge stops blinking doesn't mean engine is warm and ready to crank that bitch up to 15.000rpm.
Hell no, I have to disagree with that.

Im definitely not an expert, heck im a rookie in this but I'd say a solid 10-20 minutes is needed to completely warm up engine components. You know engineblock itself, oil, coolant. Then the fun begins.
Totally agree.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 04:13 PM

whut?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 08:23 PM

New Site Garage
On one hand I agree to not rev bomb it after starting but I also don't advise sitting at idle till the fans kick in. Somewhere in between those extremes. The blinking cold temp mark was just a minimum warm up indicator.

The point is that the bike does not like slow and easy riding. Its aerodynamics and fueling are meant for higher speeds and greater throttle positions.

Quote:

Just bequase the temperature gauge stops blinking doesnt mean engine is warm and ready to crank that bitch up to 15.000rpm.
Hell no, I have to dissagree with that.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 04:54 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
On one hand I agree to not rev bomb it after starting but I also don't advise sitting at idle till the fans kick in. Somewhere in between those extremes. The blinking cold temp mark was just a minimum warm up indicator.

The point is that the bike does not like slow and easy riding. Its aerodynamics and fueling are meant for higher speeds and greater throttle positions.
Im not talking about rev bombing.
What I understand from your saying is that when the temp gauge stops blinking I can go fullout on track for example
Start the F3 up cold engine temp stops blinking and lets go 10.000-15.000, where all the F3's real power is. Bequase thats what the engine is made for, for that specific power range.
Big no.

Im not saying to let engine idle, till fan kicks in for 10-20 minutes.
For track, heat engine up like all teams do, rev it a couple time and bring rpm up after each 5th blip or so. (I never had experience on track, I would bring temperature up to halfway first before I would go on track)
For street I would say is to crank the F3 up, start riding but for first 10-20 minutes keep it under 5-6000 rpm till engine and fluids are on temp.
Thats what I recommend, and then you can go full out.

Im just a noobie in this, all I know is that metals expand during heat. And when cold and lots of pressure on these metals could set you up for a bad day.

I see you own an F3, and if you use it the way you're telling us to use it. I dont understand that a regular joe's engine valves pop and yours are perfectly fine after such abuse.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Black_Gold_Saw; 06-24-2018 at 05:02 AM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:17 AM

New Site Garage
In a perfect world your advice is perfect. But I have 23,000 miles now on my bike and I definitely do not ride for 10 minutes under 5,000 rpm as a warm up. I ride with many other riders in groups and we do not ride casually. No one has had an engine failure and I'm sure the same is said around the world in similar climates.

For track days it is not possible to be in the power zone when the engine is cold because the tires are cold as well. You must go for 2 laps at an easier pace before tires are fully warmed up and sticky enough to apply the power safely.

I don't think the F3 valve failures are from improper warm up. A warm up like yours will most likely give the engine a better life in the long run but the valve failures is likely from something unrelated in my opinion. I do my own service and I have been amazed at how nice things look in my engines even after so many miles. My current car's hydraulic lifters still have a beautiful factory finish on the surface that 'contacts' the camshaft lobe even after 230,000 miles! I had to look 3 times because I could not believe my eyes. I've got pictures somewhere that I can share with those interested outside of this thread.

So, to keep in line with this thread and the original conversation, I would say that many riders are experiencing high temps on the gauge simply because they are not riding the bike in the way it was designed.

Quote:
Im not talking about rev bombing.
What I understand from your saying is that when the temp gauge stops blinking I can go fullout on track for example
Start the F3 up cold engine temp stops blinking and lets go 10.000-15.000, where all the F3's real power is. Bequase thats what the engine is made for, for that specific power range.
Big no.

Im not saying to let engine idle, till fan kicks in for 10-20 minutes.
For track, heat engine up like all teams do, rev it a couple time and bring rpm up after each 5th blip or so. (I never had experience on track, I would bring temperature up to halfway first before I would go on track)
For street I would say is to crank the F3 up, start riding but for first 10-20 minutes keep it under 5-6000 rpm till engine and fluids are on temp.
Thats what I recommend, and then you can go full out.

Im just a noobie in this, all I know is that metals expand during heat. And when cold and lots of pressure on these metals could set you up for a bad day.

I see you own an F3, and if you use it the way you're telling us to use it. I dont understand that a regular joe's engine valves pop and yours are perfectly fine after such abuse.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 06:00 AM

Check the sensors for fan and temp gauge. Both these can be faulty. Mine has been changed and the bike has then not showned any wrong gauge or lacking the fan to start when it should.

Good luck
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
All seems to be going well, been on a few rides now with temp hovering +1 the mid mark.

In other news...brake reservoir covers came in. Pretty

2018 MV F3 675 Avio Grey

"That pistol just kept saying, let go of my ears, you don't know what you're doing." -thehellbringer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode