Fitted exhaust, now lambda sensor error - Page 3 - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:29 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
@TruffleShuffle: would you please post your model and year in your signature line? It would make helping you much easier than attempting a guess at what model/year you may have.

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Done!

2015 MV Agusta Stradale
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Thanks!

Gapalicious 2020 at
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruffleShuffle View Post
Having done a little research it appears the thread size is 12mm (as apposed to the four cylinder bikes which use a 18mm thread)
The 2010 F4 bikes had a 18mm sensor based on the headers I've removed the CATs from, the 2015 F4 was a 12mm sensor, so I assume post 2013 were 12mm when they changed to the Eldor ECU.

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Re-Mapped with ECU studio (F4 RC base ROM)
QS & Blipper now working with ECU studio and Durashift sensor

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
I'm probably tempting fate here, but the last couple of days have been error free!

Came home on Thursday after a short ride, filled up with fuel and the lambda sensor error didn't come back on. After today's ride it still hasn't come back on.

I don't know if the exhaust has just 'settled in' or the lambda sensor has adjusted to the flow? Still feels a little 'laggy' at the bottom end, I must say - maybe it was always this way.

On the weekend I took the time to remove the ECU and give the connectors a good lick of dielectric grease. No throttle error today. Long may the days of no errors continue :-)

2015 MV Agusta Stradale
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:13 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
That sounds like good news.... maybe the sensor cleaned itself of some contaminant...or you fixed the poor connection.

Most of the EFI sensors on our bikes are the same technology and often the same parts as automobiles use. Exposed to the elements more, but otherwise the same. Cars go hundreds of thousands of miles trouble free. So should our motorcycles.

99.9% of the time a fault with an EFI sensor is caused by a poor connection. They do work on very small voltages and current, so any added resistance in the system will cause a problem.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:11 AM

New Site Garage
For future reference:

Do not use any contact cleaner or other spray cleaners etc on the oxygen sensor connector. The way an O2 sensor works is buy "comparing" the outside air with the inside air. It gets the outside air by way of the wiring going to the sensor. So, if you spray anything that can wick its way to the sensor itself it will possibly ruin the sensor. You will notice in universal kit that they give a mechanical connector and say not to solder the connection. This is for that same reason of possibly having something travel the wire and ruin the sensor materials.

You may have sprayed something to ease the exhaust removal and it got on the sensor or connector? It has burned off but most likely that sensor will fail sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruffleShuffle View Post
😁

Thanks for pointing that one out, I somehow missed it.

I've actually stuffed a load of dialectrical grease into the connector to see if that has any effect.

Not having much luck with this bike so far! My last bike was a 10 year old multistrada, and the only problem in two years was a couple of blown bulbs!!

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Here is some interesting reading about failures of oxygen sensors:

Normally, the lifetime of an unheated sensor is about 30,000 to 50,000 miles (50,000 to 80,000 km). Heated sensor lifetime is typically 100,000 miles (160,000 km). Failure of an unheated sensor is usually caused by the buildup of soot on the ceramic element, which lengthens its response time and may cause total loss of ability to sense oxygen. For heated sensors, normal deposits are burned off during operation, and failure occurs due to catalyst depletion. The probe then tends to report lean mixture, the ECU enriches the mixture, the exhaust gets rich with carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons, and the fuel economy worsens.

Leaded gasoline contaminates the oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Most oxygen sensors are rated for some service life in the presence of leaded gasoline, but sensor life will be shortened to as little as 15,000 miles (24,000 km), depending on the lead concentration. Lead-damaged sensors typically have their tips discolored light rusty.

Another common cause of premature failure of lambda probes is contamination of fuel with silicones (used in some sealings and greases) or silicates (used as corrosion inhibitors in some antifreezes). In this case, the deposits on the sensor are colored between shiny white and grainy light gray.

Leaks of oil into the engine may cover the probe tip with an oily black deposit, with associated loss of response.

An overly rich mixture causes buildup of black powdery deposit on the probe. This may be caused by failure of the probe itself, or by a problem elsewhere in the fuel-rationing system.

Applying an external voltage to the zirconia sensors, e.g. by checking them with some types of ohmmeter, may damage them.

Some sensors have an air inlet to the sensor in the lead, so contamination from the lead caused by water or oil leaks can be sucked into the sensor and cause failure.
Edward, Edward, airjawed and 1 others like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode