Pinging? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Pinging?

My 2016 Turismo with 1200 miles pings.
Fuel in my area has ethanol up to 10% and octane is 91 max from street pump.
Anyone else notice engine pinging, acceleration from cruise around 5k rpm.
Then large throttle opening while accelerating up to 90 mph?

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Established Member

They use the same Eldor ECU as the F3 675's and 800's which has ion sensing so it shouldn't ping at a level the rider can hear?
i.e. it might ping for one power stroke but then the sensing should retard the ignition so it doesn't happen next power stroke all this will happen within milliseconds.

I'm in Australia so we don't have it as bad as California with the petrol situation (apart from price) I also own a 70's Ducati so am aware that people with old hi comp bikes buy from pure gas.org listed stations who sell no ethanol higher octane fuel.
As a process of elimination have you tried a tankful of higher octane?

2014 F3 800 Silver/Red
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:17 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Are you sure you are hearing detonation knock and not just some other mechanical sound?

you should be able to find higher octane E10 gas. Look around, check pure-gas.org web site. https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

Go to the Marina...you may find E0 gas at the marina...boat engines hate ethanol.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Zanetti View Post
They use the same Eldor ECU as the F3 675's and 800's which has ion sensing so it shouldn't ping at a level the rider can hear?
i.e. it might ping for one power stroke but then the sensing should retard the ignition so it doesn't happen next power stroke all this will happen within milliseconds.

I'm in Australia so we don't have it as bad as California with the petrol situation (apart from price) I also own a 70's Ducati so am aware that people with old hi comp bikes buy from pure gas.org listed stations who sell no ethanol higher octane fuel.
As a process of elimination have you tried a tankful of higher octane?
91 is as good as it gets in so cal. Unless I get race gas or use an octane booster.
When it pings it continues ringggggggg until I roll off the throttle.

My last bike pinged, so for now, I will just ride around the problem.
Disappointing, as I figured with a new bike this sort of crap would have been sorted.

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Are you sure you are hearing detonation knock and not just some other mechanical sound?

you should be able to find higher octane E10 gas. Look around, check pure-gas.org web site. https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

Go to the Marina...you may find E0 gas at the marina...boat engines hate ethanol.
Yes. I know well the sound of pinging from my Buell.
There was always fin ringing on the Buell being it was air cooled.

Nearest pure gas is about 15 miles from my house. And it sounds like they are selling race gas.
I can bend over and get that at the local power sports store.

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Teeps;
My 910R runs on 89 octane from the Arco station at Ocean and Supulveda with no issues......
Don't bother buying a lift stand you can use my Handy Lift in RB
You want to put a Lambda meter on your bike? buy a SS M18x1.5 weld on bung and come on over
Give me a call

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Old Wing Nut

You might buy a pail just to try.....see if it corrects your concern... Don't get the crazy oxygenated stuff that corrodes the engine if left in the tank, just some 100 plain gas. The least expensive of the VP stuff.

If that cures what you hear then find someone to tune your ECU to take out some ignition lead.

If it doesn't then maybe what you hear is a normal sound you aren't used to, having been riding a wrung out Harley motor...those things make all kinds of noises.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Teeps;
My 910R runs on 89 octane from the Arco station at Ocean and Supulveda with no issues......
Don't bother buying a lift stand you can use my Handy Lift in RB
You want to put a Lambda meter on your bike? buy a SS M18x1.5 weld on bung and come on over
Give me a call
Thanks Noel.
I will make it over to your shop one of these days.
What are your shop hours?

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:11 PM
Old Wing Nut

Noel's shop hours are when he's home and feels like company !!!! It's nice to be retired with a workshop garage.

I find your concern of "pinging" interesting, since the bikes are designed to run on 91 octane E10 pump gas. They have to to meet the EPA CARB regs so they can sell them here.

I use 89 octane E10 (and 90 octane E0 when I can) in all my bikes with no problems.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Noel's shop hours are when he's home and feels like company !!!! It's nice to be retired with a workshop garage.

I find your concern of "pinging" interesting, since the bikes are designed to run on 91 octane E10 pump gas. They have to to meet the EPA CARB regs so they can sell them here.

I use 89 octane E10 (and 90 octane E0 when I can) in all my bikes with no problems.
Well I suppose I could he "hearing things." Or I'm getting short pumped at the gas station... for now I'll try refueling at a different brand station.

My Buell would ping at random times under some riding conditions.
Then on a different day same conditions, no pinging, however the sound is unmistakable.

I'm not that worried about it as there is still 1.5 years left on warranty.
I'll have to wait for a hot day and flog it up the dyno hill near my house, to see if I can provoke a ping.

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode