Exhaust Valve servo error fix - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Exhaust Valve servo error fix

Thought I'd share a simple fix for the occasional exhaust valve servo malfunction. Basically open up the servo which is located under the left side fairing (2014 F3 800) and spray electrical contact cleaner at the potentiometer. Pics show the location of servo and the potentiometer inside of it. The thing to make sure is that the slot lines back up for the servo arm when putting the halves back together.
Attached Images

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS

Last edited by airjawed; 02-26-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
Thought I'd share a simple fix for the occasional exhaust valve servo malfunction. Basically open up the servo which is located under the left side fairing (2014 F3 800) and spray electrical contact cleaner at the potentiometer. Pics show the location of servo and the potentiometer inside of it. The thing to make sure is that the slot lines back up for the servo arm when putting the halves back together.
This will fix the malfunction exhaust valve readout on the dash?

2013 MV Agusta F3 675 EAS
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Yes, if the problem is in the servo which is usually the issue. If the cabling is stuck or valve in exhaust pipe is stuck then no. If the valve can be seen jittering or not moving smoothly then cleaning inside the servo is likely to work. The error will clear by itself once fixed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Yes, if the problem is in the servo which is usually the issue. If the cabling is stuck or valve in exhaust pipe is stuck then no. If the valve can be seen jittering or not moving smoothly then cleaning inside the servo is likely to work. The error will clear by itself once fixed.
I have this error along with a sprag clutch failure, throttle positioning sensor and rpm sensor. Any advice for these other error codes? Any advice for the cabling being stuck? Any advice for the valve in the exhaust pipe being stuck? Thanks for the help

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Your rpm sensor code is part of the sprag clutch failure. Once the sprag clutch is fixed the rpm sensor code should go away. Its a false error so to speak. The sensor isn't seeing enough rpm due to sprag slipping.

Throttle position sensor failure I've not had. I think it may be a similar thing in that it needs electrical cleaning but I've seen posts saying that they replaced it. Its basically a drive by wire and the throttle pickup sensor is not sending the correct signal. This failure is less likely because I think it uses two signaling systems at the same time... one increasing with position and the other decreasing. Avoid cleaning bike with aggressive detergent and water. It'll dry out grease and get in places you don't want.

If the cabling is stuck I would take it off the bike and try and do something similar to a clutch cable lubrication. Get some penetrating lubricant in there and work it around... then lubricate. My clutch would stick really bad sometimes so I sprayed brake cleaner in there followed by clutch cable lubricant. They sell a kit that forces the lubricant into the cable space. Its got a small clamping block type of thing that goes on one end.

The exhaust valve itself... Pb blaster.. let sit and work it around while exhaust is cold. PB blaster works much better than WD 40. It gets red hot when running so not really something you can lubricate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Role Model View Post
I have this error along with a sprag clutch failure, throttle positioning sensor and rpm sensor. Any advice for these other error codes? Any advice for the cabling being stuck? Any advice for the valve in the exhaust pipe being stuck? Thanks for the help
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Also, make sure the cables that control the exhaust valve are adjusted correctly. It is outlined in the workshop manual section for frame... exhaust valve transmissions and adjustment.

You don't want the servo to be operating with improper adjustment. If it is not adjusted correctly it will be continuously be trying to reach an angle it can't achieve. That puts strain and heat on the electric motor inside.

This part is tricky since basically no one has the software to set the endpoints but you can make it mechanically correct.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:55 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Also, make sure the cables that control the exhaust valve are adjusted correctly. It is outlined in the workshop manual section for frame... exhaust valve transmissions and adjustment.

You don't want the servo to be operating with improper adjustment. If it is not adjusted correctly it will be continuously be trying to reach an angle it can't achieve. That puts strain and heat on the electric motor inside.

This part is tricky since basically no one has the software to set the endpoints but you can make it mechanically correct.
Having this issue yet again. I thought I had it figured out but recently experienced loss in power in first gear. Took a look at it yesterday and couldn’t figure it out. Issues with the pics in the service manual versus the pics posted here. There are two marks on the servo casing. In the service manual it looks like the mark they say to line up with before adjustment is left of center of you’re looking at it with the connection pointed straight up. You’re pics look like it’s lines up with the arrow or marking right of center instead. I tried both ways, sprayed inside with the electrical cleaner as well as shot some PB Blaster on the valve. Had plenty of power in first gear but as soon as I kicked it into second it would die. Not sure if I screwed something else up. The bike still shows it’s in neutral even when I kick it down into first. Wondering if I created an issue with the TPS. Once again any and all help is greatly appreciated.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Sounds like an issue with the gear position sensor. The bike uses different ECU mapping for different gears. So, if it thinks its in neutral it will not have the same power as if in a gear. Also, 1st gear mapping can be different than 2nd and 3rd and so on.

Did the display show an error for exhaust servo?

Quote:
Having this issue yet again. I thought I had it figured out but recently experienced loss in power in first gear. Took a look at it yesterday and couldnít figure it out. Issues with the pics in the service manual versus the pics posted here. There are two marks on the servo casing. In the service manual it looks like the mark they say to line up with before adjustment is left of center of youíre looking at it with the connection pointed straight up. Youíre pics look like itís lines up with the arrow or marking right of center instead. I tried both ways, sprayed inside with the electrical cleaner as well as shot some PB Blaster on the valve. Had plenty of power in first gear but as soon as I kicked it into second it would die. Not sure if I screwed something else up. The bike still shows itís in neutral even when I kick it down into first. Wondering if I created an issue with the TPS. Once again any and all help is greatly appreciated.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Established Member

It seems as though the exhaust flapper valve is working correctly now. The issue is with the side stand. The yellow dash light stays on even when I kick the side stand up. I’m assuming it has something to do with the sensor. I did take the side stand off to get more clearance. I thought I put it back together the same way I took it off but apparently not as that is why the bike dies when I put it in gear. I consulted the manual but no help there. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Sounds like an issue with the gear position sensor. The bike uses different ECU mapping for different gears. So, if it thinks its in neutral it will not have the same power as if in a gear. Also, 1st gear mapping can be different than 2nd and 3rd and so on.

Did the display show an error for exhaust servo?

Quote:
Having this issue yet again. I thought I had it figured out but recently experienced loss in power in first gear. Took a look at it yesterday and couldn’t figure it out. Issues with the pics in the service manual versus the pics posted here. There are two marks on the servo casing. In the service manual it looks like the mark they say to line up with before adjustment is left of center of you’re looking at it with the connection pointed straight up. You’re pics look like it’s lines up with the arrow or marking right of center instead. I tried both ways, sprayed inside with the electrical cleaner as well as shot some PB Blaster on the valve. Had plenty of power in first gear but as soon as I kicked it into second it would die. Not sure if I screwed something else up. The bike still shows it’s in neutral even when I kick it down into first. Wondering if I created an issue with the TPS. Once again any and all help is greatly appreciated.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Is the side stand plug reconnected? The switch is part of the side stand and may be outside of the stops. A simple investigation should reveal the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode