Sprocket side nut loose again - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Sprocket side nut loose again

Cleaned my Tursimo after winter lay-off today. Noticed cush drive rubbers need replacing yet again. Also sprocket side nut was loose yet again. This despite being pined/clipped and the clip being pulled tight with a cable tie as usual. Re torqued to 220Nm. Can't understand how the stack is compressing, it's all solid components down the shaft.

Well aware of this thread. Will investigate further when I replace the cush drive rubbers. Have suspected clutch switch issue and need to call dealer about this next week, will also ask about sprocket nut whist I'm there too. Warranty expires in April though not sure how I can prove something is wrong with the hub stack.

I suggest that if you don't check your rear sprocket nut regularly you do so ASAP.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 03:47 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
Cleaned my Tursimo after winter lay-off today. Noticed cush drive rubbers need replacing yet again. Also sprocket side nut was loose yet again. This despite being pined/clipped and the clip being pulled tight with a cable tie as usual. Re torqued to 220Nm. Can't understand how the stack is compressing, it's all solid components down the shaft.

Well aware of this thread. Will investigate further when I replace the cush drive rubbers. Have suspected clutch switch issue and need to call dealer about this next week, will also ask about sprocket nut whist I'm there too. Warranty expires in April though not sure how I can prove something is wrong with the hub stack.

I suggest that if you don't check your rear sprocket nut regularly you do so ASAP.
My dealer mentioned cush drive rubbers as a possible cause for the hub failure seen in the linked thread. Not sure how, but I suspect that if they give too much play, things go out of control. I suggest you ask your dealer to check the hub while doing the change. Not sure how much miles you have, but remember that the Turismo Veloce has a service frequency of 15000km while others using the same hub have it shorter. Hub may be required to be sorted out more frequently. At least cush drive rubbers don't seem suitable for that long range.

For the clutch switch issue: there is 2 possible situations:
  • It fails while displaying an error on the dash. The ECU sees your clutch lever as pulled permanently. Quickshifter is disabled. Cruise control is not working anymore.
  • It fails in closed position. ECU doesn't see any action on the clutch lever. Quick shifter works, no error displayed on the dashboard. You can't start the bike while a speed is engaged, the side stand moved up, and clutch lever pulled. To be noted as well : the cruise control doesn't get deactivated while you pull the clutch lever.
It may happen in both situation that the issue only happens while engine is hot. It may also happen there is a bubble in the circuitry. In the event there is a bubble, one day or another it may start to leak liquid. Soon your clutch would not be operable, first while engine hot, then later on permanently. Slave cylinder might be also at fault in this case (been there, done that).

Good luck. And keep us posted.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarcSilverTriple; 02-25-2018 at 07:16 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Keep us posted!

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Marc, re. the clutch switch; it's the second one. Everything still works except the in gear/clutch disengaged starter interlock. Interesting point about cruise control, though I've only used it on a few occasions TBH. Will speak to my dealer next week and see what they suggest. Regret that it may mean a trip down there to assess and then a 2nd to get it changed once they have authority from MV. If they have any in stock I'll suggest that I pay and trust them to reimburse once authorised.

I've replaced the cush drive rubbers twice now. This last set, now with 2-3mm of play lasted around 4,000 miles which seems about normal for my riding at least. Small consolation is that they're cheap and easy to replace. Will order two sets this time around so I have some spares on the shelf.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
My dealer mentioned cush drive rubbers as a possible cause for the hub failure seen in the linked thread. Not sure how, but I suspect that if they give too much play, things go out of control. I suggest you ask your dealer to check the hub while doing the change. Not sure how much miles you have, but remember that the Turismo Veloce has a service frequency of 15000km while others using the same hub have it shorter. Hub may be required to be sorted out more frequently. At least cush drive rubbers don't seem suitable for that long range.

For the clutch switch issue: there is 2 possible situations:
  • It fails while displaying an error on the dash*. The ECU sees your clutch lever as pulled permanently. Quickshifter is disabled. Cruise control is not working anymore.
  • It fails in closed** position. ECU doesn't see any action on the clutch lever. Quick shifter works, no error displayed on the dashboard. You can't start the bike while a speed is engaged, the side stand moved up, and clutch lever pulled. To be noted as well : the cruise control doesn't get deactivated while you pull the clutch lever.
It may happen in both situation that the issue only happens while engine is hot. It may also happen there is a bubble in the circuitry. In the event there is a bubble, one day or another it may start to leak liquid. Soon your clutch would not be operable, first while engine hot, then later on permanently. Slave cylinder might be also at fault in this case (been there, done that).

Good luck. And keep us posted.
* failed "Closed"
this describes a failure with the switch closed (switch on.)

** should say "Open" (switch off)
this was the problem with mine until after removing and reinstalling the switch. Causing me to think an air bubble was the problem.

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 02:20 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
* failed "Closed"
this describes a failure with the switch closed (switch on.)

** should say "Open" (switch off)
this was the problem with mine until after removing and reinstalling the switch. Causing me to think an air bubble was the problem.
That was to make sure someone reads this in detail

Thanks for the correction.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:36 PM

New Site Garage
Ah posted in the other hub thread before I seen this. Sounds just like the issues I had and eventually had a new hub, rubbers, carrier etc under warranty and funnily since all that was replaced I've not even had any slight loosening of the sprocket nut it's all solid and that's with about 10,000km of riding since replacing. Get it to the dealer or get the sprocket carrier off and look for any scoring on the back.

Current steed - MY16 Dragster RR
Previous Bike - 2008 Triumph Street Triple
Scottish and living it up in South East Spain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode