Valve cover gasket leak.. again - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Valve cover gasket leak.. again

I replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals and bolt o rings not too long ago and itís still leaking... i also used silicone seal on both sides as a lot of people recommended. Is there something Iím missing on this to get it to seal...

2nd whatís the chances of me cleaning everything off and using the same seal again?

I updated some photos, needless to say it was clean maybe a couple hundred miles ago. I initially thought it was just the bolt hole seals but as it goes on it looks like the cover as well. I checked the spark plug tubes and they are clean.
Attached Images

Last edited by mgucci; 02-16-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You will have to take it off and look at it closely for any damage. No cuts or indentations? Use it again.

Let me guess, left front corner (that's where the oil pools when on the side stand)?

Personally, I don't think using sealant on both sides is a great idea, but I know others will disagree. They don't do that at the factory. A new seal should be fitted with just sealant at the cam shaft half-moons, as shown in the shop manual.

The type of sealant you use is also critical. Some RTVs and other types do not hold up well to heat and oil. What brand/type did you use?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

The first time it was only leaking into the spark plug tube seals and now itís the pooling slightly at the front left corner. I agree Iíll do it the factory way this time. Since the seals are hard to get where i am with no dealer anywhere around me i think Iím going to take it apart and see if i can reuse the seals. I would just hate for my bike to be down for weeks waiting on seals... i do think i slightly over torqued the bolts my wrench is old and cheap

2013 F3 675
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:17 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
It does look like it may be just the bolt seals. Clean it all up and do a powder test (if you can run it without the tank on. Those seals may be very similar to bolt seals used on many other brands. Take one into a Japanese dealer and compare.

Anyway, don't take the cover off until you confirm it is leaking and not just the bolt seals. Wind moves oil all over the place, and it runs downward as well. A very small leak can make a very big mess.

Good luck.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Personally, I don't think using sealant on both sides is a great idea, but I know others will disagree. They don't do that at the factory. A new seal should be fitted with just sealant at the cam shaft half-moons, as shown in the shop manual.

The type of sealant you use is also critical. Some RTVs and other types do not hold up well to heat and oil. What brand/type did you use?
Ed;
Given the bearing choices the Factory made front wheel/hub/steering head..... following their recommendations as to sealing their shitty valve cover gaskets is suspect....
Aprilia RSVR valve cover gaskets start pouring oil ~ 12,000mi, using RTV
on both sides of the original gaskets, my RSVR is still dry at 30,000+mi

I glue the valve cover bolts, the Reed valve covers and the stupid F4 cover
because I've never seen a flat one...... I do flatten them on my 16" Apex disc.grinder.though

Temperature;
After a 5mi ride and idling for 7-8min in the sun
Water temp 190F
Cylinder head temp next to valve cover 175F
Valve cover temp 165F
Measured with a Fluke 566

I use Permatex Hi Temp RTV

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode