Temporary fixed rear sprocket play - MVAgusta.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Temporary fixed rear sprocket play

My TV has excessively side play at the rear sprocket, even I try to tighten the nut.
It make me feeling chain chewing the sprocket. So I took it of and cut a thick rubber from other car wheel rubber tube to the shape of the crown and put it back. wah lah... My TV launching much smoother and almost stop chewing sound of the rear sprocket and chain. Cost nothing only time.

here is the picture.

I have Agriculture Bike and It is Turismo Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:43 AM

New Site Garage
I can't quite see from your pictures where you've added your layer of rubber? Maybe you could clarify?

If it's just pieces to take-up slack where the cush drive rubbers (#30) have been compressed then that should be OK, though this will probably wear fairly quickly. New drive rubbers are only about 10 GBP a set here and do need replacing every so often, I changed mine at around 7000 miles IIRC.

If you've introduced a layer of rubber into the stack of components that are located axially along the spindle then you could be creating issues that will manifest themselves fairly soon and cost a significant amount to correct. The spider (outer flange #27) is not meant to be tightly connected to the sprocket carrier (#37). The carrier should rotate on the spindle independently of the other components aside from the connection between the cush drive rubbers acting on the 'vanes' of the spider. The components in the stack, though not the sprocket carrier, should all be sandwiched by the nut to 220Nm. Introducing a layer of rubber into this stack isn't going to end well, possible bearing failure and or spindle damage.

OEM Spare parts for MV Agusta motorcycles, the numbers above relate to that.

There were issues on another members TV with the nut being loose and causing wear on components in the stack, the spacer (#31) if I recall correctly. This pushed the sprocket carrier closer to the wheel causing it to rub in the castellated face of the eccentric bearing carrier (hub assembly #4).

Maybe I've misunderstood?

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Last edited by Bumpkin; 01-20-2018 at 06:50 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Hi Bumpkin,

I just cut a rubber shape as #27 Flange Rear Wheel and put it in middle of #27 and #37. That is it.

Because the play of sprocket of my TV are so much different with other TVs. I don't know why? but since I put the rubber layer in, it launch and smoother the bike. I will check regularly for any damage it could cause. Thanks for your warning.

The cush drive rubber seem ok at this moment, no moving back and forward.

I have Agriculture Bike and It is Turismo Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:10 AM
Established Member

Since I have my rear wheel off I was planning on replacing the rear hub cushions (dampeners) to minimize the slop from 8000 miles of use/wear.

Per the OEM parts list I find two part numbers for item #30

80A0A3251 CUSHION, REAR WHEEL HUB MY17

8000B2151 CUSHION, REAR WHEEL HUB MY 15,16

Has anyone installed the MY17 cushions in the hub of their MY15 or MY16 bikes?

What are the differences? Are the MY17 cushions more durable?

It appears that the MY17 cushions are ten times the price of the MY15,16 cushions.

Suggestions for a source to procure the cushions?
Attached Images

Last edited by Fastspy; 02-16-2018 at 08:22 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 AM

New Site Garage
Strewth that's a bit of a price hike!

I do note that to fit the MY17 dampers you'd also need to fit both the outer flange and inner ring from the MY17 bike as well, there are new MY17 parts for these on the Evolution Bike website. So, not just case of one damper superseding the other. Also the top hat spacer is also different. All these new parts, aside from the damper, have a zero cost on EB yet oddly on StarTwin it's just the damper and flange.

I've replaced the dampers on my MY16 bike a couple of times, they last about 4,000-5,000 miles, more if you're willing to allow a bit of slop. At the relatively low cost and ease of fitting that'll be the way I'm going rather than spending a whole heap more on other parts and dampers that would hope will last forever.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Last edited by Bumpkin; 02-16-2018 at 10:08 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:47 AM

I wonder if the larger price is for a set of 5 VS 1ea?

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:59 AM
Established Member

Problem I'm having is finding a retail location in the USA that can get them. Seems my local dealer can't get an order filled from MV unless they meet a minimum $100us order.

Are there any International (European) dealers that ship to the US reasonably? Guess I could add the headlight high/low beam upgrade at the same time...

Last edited by Fastspy; 02-16-2018 at 12:02 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:05 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastspy View Post
Problem I'm having is finding a retail location in the USA that can get them. Seems my local dealer can't get an order filled from MV unless they meet a minimum $100us order.

Are there any International (European) dealers that ship to the US reasonably? Guess I could add the headlight high/low beam upgrade at the same time...
They'll fill the lower value order....just that the shipping costs won't justify it. That's your dealer parts managers decision/policy.

Try StarTwins....
Fastspy and Fastspy like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:36 PM

New Site Garage
The dampers get changed during the service by the dealer. He told me it's something to check time to time on the bike. He also mentioned that if waiting too long to change them, it may result in issue with the hub, requiring hub change as well further parts.
Fastspy and Fastspy like this.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:34 PM

New Site Garage
The hi/low adapter is only about 12GBP here so the value of the order will still be too low. If your dealer doesn't need to stock up with oil filters or other service items then maybe you should buy some yourself for future use. Either that or try another dealer.

The two times I've changed mine they were in stock at two different UK dealers.

I've been put off ordering from StarTwin in the past by high shipping costs. Admittedly for relatively low value items.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode