Turismo Veloce - clutch issue - MVAgusta.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Turismo Veloce - clutch issue

Weather was quite good today, with temperature around 12°C, so it was a good time for the first ride of the year.

Went to refuel the tank after few kilometers of ride, and then first occurrence of the issue appeared: in first gear, while pressing the clutch lever, the bike started to move... It happened in multiple occurrences during the small ride, specially with the engine being hot. I had no issue starting after a pause. Looking down at the clutch receptor, there is oil leaking from the clutch sensor... So either one or both is the issue...

From the time I had the bike, I had this sensation that the clutch was not working properly while running hot... It seems confirmed now. Bike is having 13600 km on the clock, and was suppose to go for the service in march, just before the beginning of the season. Luckily, the warranty is running till February... I'll get the bike to my dealer within the next weeks.

At least, one thing is confirmed : my bike is an Italian bike, and as such is behaving like a diva :-D

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:35 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Hydraulic fluid leak from slave cylinder? Sounds like air getting in the system, or water contaminated fluid. Should be easy to fix.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 01-06-2018 at 04:38 PM.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 03:41 AM

New Site Garage
Good luck with it... I just had a new clutch on mine ( no warranty )
but since then she is running like a "Diva on speed"
MvEva, MvEva, nigelrb and 1 others like this.

Gero
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Hydraulic fluid leak from slave cylinder? Sounds like air getting in the system, or water contaminated fluid. Should be easy to fix.
Yes it should be. Leak is clearly on the clutch sensor or the slave cylinder... I'll get it checked as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero HH View Post
Good luck with it... I just had a new clutch on mine ( no warranty )
Somehow I'm lucky. As the bike was a demo bike, the dealer proposed a warranty extension. Otherwise, the bike would not be under warranty anymore...
Gero HH and Gero HH like this.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :

Last edited by MarcSilverTriple; 01-07-2018 at 04:40 AM.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quick update from the dealer today :
- slave cylinder is leaking and will be replaced (that was what I suspected to be the culprit)
- clutch sensor to be replaced as well. Small note on this one : it can fail either in open position, either in close position. If it fails in close position, the only impact is that that you can't start the bike without being on neutral (the clutch disengaged doesn't change anything as the ECU doesn't see it as disengaged), however, it's not preventing the quick shifter or the bike to be used. If it fails in open position, then it's another story, as it would be hen recognized as an issue by the ECU, and then you are basically stuck.

Long story short: parts have been ordered, and we are now hanged to MV sending the parts. I hope it won't be too long as the HP Corse Tre is sitting in the garage waiting for the bike :-)
Gero HH, Gero HH and mva2017 like this.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
Quick update from the dealer today :
- slave cylinder is leaking and will be replaced (that was what I suspected to be the culprit)
- clutch sensor to be replaced as well. Small note on this one : it can fail either in open position, either in close position. If it fails in close position, the only impact is that that you can't start the bike without being on neutral (the clutch disengaged doesn't change anything as the ECU doesn't see it as disengaged), however, it's not preventing the quick shifter or the bike to be used. If it fails in open position, then it's another story, as it would be hen recognized as an issue by the ECU, and then you are basically stuck.

Long story short: parts have been ordered, and we are now hanged to MV sending the parts. I hope it won't be too long as the HP Corse Tre is sitting in the garage waiting for the bike :-)
My TV's clutch pressure switch fails in the open position when warm. I tested it yesterday, and barely warm to the touch before it fails.
The circuit is a "pull down" input. That is the ECM provides a reference voltage. When the clutch lever is pulled the switch closes and the reference voltage is grounded. The ECM sees this voltage drop and assumes the clutch is now disengaged. Then acts accordingly...

In the failed condition I have experienced:
Starter motor will not turn over; if trans is in gear and clutch is disengaged (lever pulled in all the way.)
The Q/S works fine... However with Q/S enabled and trying to change gears the usual way yields all sorts of bad behavior.
You are fighting Q/S function when pulling in the clutch because the ECM thinks the clutch lever is out (clutch engaged.)

I might have a, $20 USD, solution in a week or so... waiting for the part to see if it will fit/function.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
My TV's clutch pressure switch fails in the open position when warm. I tested it yesterday, and barely warm to the touch before it fails.
The circuit is a "pull down" input. That is the ECM provides a reference voltage. When the clutch lever is pulled the switch closes and the reference voltage is grounded. The ECM sees this voltage drop and assumes the clutch is now disengaged. Then acts accordingly...

In the failed condition I have experienced:
Starter motor will not turn over; if trans is in gear and clutch is disengaged (lever pulled in all the way.)
The Q/S works fine... However with Q/S enabled and trying to change gears the usual way yields all sorts of bad behavior.
You are fighting Q/S function when pulling in the clutch because the ECM thinks the clutch lever is out (clutch engaged.)

I might have a, $20 USD, solution in a week or so... waiting for the part to see if it will fit/function.
In my case, the clutch switch was not functioning, even at normal temperature. I was still able to run the bike, to start it, but only on Neutral.
Just for information, there is a new part reference for the clutch switch available since sometime last year. When they do replace a clutch switch, they replace it by the new version, apparently more reliable. In any case, will look in for your solution...

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 05:45 AM

New Site Garage
my clutch switch was faulty August 2016 and it was replaced with the "new" model (Part No.) and since then I had no problems with the clutch switch (what a surprice, something is working)

Gero
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero HH View Post
my clutch switch was faulty August 2016 and it was replaced with the "new" model (Part No.) and since then I had no problems with the clutch switch (what a surprice, something is working)
Not sure when the replacement part was put in place, but apparently, early 2016 models were still built with the earlier version.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:43 PM

Last 4 of the VIN on my bike is 1457 don't know where that put's it in the production run; but the switch is faulty.
Goes open circuit when barely warm to the touch.
I'm sure it was failed on delivery, as the trans never seemed right until I turned Q/S off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode