F3 800 engine rattlee? - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

F3 800 engine rattle?

Hi team!

I have a 2015 F3 800 and I just wanted to run this by yourselves before I take it any further. I just got the bike back after a few months, and usually ride with ear plugs so just want to make sure I'm not over-analysing something that is always there first!

While idling I though I heard a bit of rattle going on but was unsure. Now I've put 14,000km on this bike so I know they can be rattly engines but was unsure. I ditched the earplugs and took it on a 10km loop to see and I kept hearing the same rattle. All this said it is the first time I've ridden the bike properly in some months so I may well be comletely over-analysing and reading into normal noises too much.

I stopped the bike in a carpark (for maximum noise) and captured a short video, seen here:

Sorry for the rush job video! Trying to not take too long in a work carpark with a very loud bike at 11pm

I find the rattle is more pronounced on the right hand side of the bike.

Can anybody hopefully confirm this is normal, and I'm worrying over nothing?

Cheers!

Last edited by JMcP92; 01-02-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:41 AM

New Site Garage
Sounds normal for a 3 cylinder MV to me.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 AM

New Site Garage
MV 3 cyl is normally noisy. One thing I noticed is that bad fuel makes it worse. I also have an F3 800 and it seems sensitive to octane. Old gas loses octane. I would put the highest octane you can find and hopefully that is ethanol free. Run it on the fresh high octane until fans turn on and take it for a spin. You should feel less vibration and less rattle.

I have 91 and 93(USA Rating) ethanol free fuel in the US near me. I can tell just by riding which is in my bike.

It will never go away though. Pulling the clutch in reduces it a little but Italian bikes will always make noise.

Last edited by airjawed; 01-02-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for the help guys! Good to know likely just me and not some sort of issue beginning.

It's running 95 octane at the moment, I'll throw some 98 or 101 in next chance I get and see what differences we get
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:39 PM

New Site Garage
Its a typical MV 3 cylinder sound.
If it sounds like there are marbels and rocks, grain in your engine she's ready to run

When I bought my F3 (first bike to me) I was scared aswell. Its perfectly normal.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:03 PM

New Site Garage
I think your fuel is months old right? Also, if you are in europe then the 95 octane is below recommended octane? Bike will certainly be happy with fresh 98 or 101 octane.

Note my octane is USA 91 minimum which is 97 europe I think... and my bike runs nicer on 93 USA octane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcP92 View Post
Thanks for the help guys! Good to know likely just me and not some sort of issue beginning.

It's running 95 octane at the moment, I'll throw some 98 or 101 in next chance I get and see what differences we get
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
That sounds more like a Ducati Twin with a dry clutch. I have an F3 800 and it doesn’t sound like that. I’d put a pipe against the engine in different areas and listen to see where you can isolate the sound. Might help figure out what it might possibly be. Just another perspective.
Cheers
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:35 PM

Your bike has a hydraulic cam chain tensioner and 15,000 km is about the time for that to start wearing out. Easy to fix.
Suggest you also inspect the clutch basket.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 01:18 AM

My clutch rattles a bit more in neutral , less when in gear.

If I was to take a guess Id say yours sounded normal.
jdgun and jdgun like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:06 AM

Sounds normal to me. Maybe a little cam chain rattle. As above it's hydraulic, so maybe look at a replacement soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode