Clutch damage - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Clutch damage

I am looking for someone who has knowledge of the slipper clutch in the Turismo Veloce.
I recently had the clutch TSB performed by an authorised MV dealer and am now experiencing problems with clutch engagement. If I try to pull away quickly or up a steep hill the clutch slips, grinds and then grabs. Under normal acceleration from a standing start and during normal riding I have no problems. Prior to the TSB being performed the clutch worked flawlessly, just a little noisy at idle which went away after the TSB update.
I took the bike back to the dealer and after riding it they agreed there was an issue. I had to wait two weeks to book the bike in to be inspected. The evening before I took the bike in, I removed the clutch pack and found the spring retainer appeared to be installed the wrong way around (see diagram). The two clutch plates either side of the spring and retainer appear to be badly grooved.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal wear for a clutch with 15,000kmís or have they been damaged due to the spring retainer being installed the wrong way around?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Roy.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:37 AM

New Site Garage
Hi Roy,
you know what, I have the same problem as you... it startet after the clutch TSB was done (12500km). My MV Dealer had a look at it, putting the clutch into pieces and could not find any issues.. after that the clutch was working normal. But a short time later (1000km) I had the same issues again. This was in September. My MV Dealer ordered the complete clutch to replace... (500Ä because it is not a warranty part!!!!) I'm still waiting for a seal, the clutch came last week.
It is strange that this error occurred after the clutch TSB update.

I let you know what happens as soon I get the clutch seal.... and the new clutch is in....

I wrote MV Augsta an email complaining about this issue. But they just wrote back that the clutch is not the warranty part!!!!

Very disappointing after just 12,500 km!!!!! Shame on MV Agusta....

Gero
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Roy

Hi Gero, thanks for the reply. Have you had your clutch apart to check for wear on the clutch plates? I would like to know if the wear on my plates are normal from the anti-judder spring or if it is because it was installed incorrectly after the TSB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:54 AM

I'm wondering, shouldn't the wear on the steel plates matches that of the mating area of the friction plates? Your pics don't show that.

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:59 AM

New Site Garage
Hi Roy,
the dealer put the clutch apart... so I have not seen the plates , sorry..

Gero
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:24 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Is that a spring washer and seat? Anti-judder spring? Is the friction plate (#4 in drawing) a larger ID so the anti-judder spring and seat fit inside? The spring should be installed so its outer edge works against the seat, not a clutch plate. If installed incorrectly it could certainly cause wear and subsequent rough engagement.

These are common parts used in many motorcycle clutches. Unfortunately, many dealer mechanics do not understand what they are, how they work, or how to install them.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Is that a spring washer and seat? Anti-judder spring?
Ed, (and please potentially excuse my ignorance), but I remember watching a friend install his aftermarket slipper clutch and the instruction said to remove the anti judder spring and thin friction plate and replace with normal one. I'm guessing it's still there in the MV standard slipper clutch config?

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.RP View Post
Ed, (and please potentially excuse my ignorance), but I remember watching a friend install his aftermarket slipper clutch and the instruction said to remove the anti judder spring and thin friction plate and replace with normal one. I'm guessing it's still there in the MV standard slipper clutch config?
Not having been into the MV slipper clutch I would have to look at the parts catalog and manual. I know some aftermarket slipper clutches don't use an anti-judder spring, and you can remove it from most clutches with no real noticeable ill affect....but it is there for a reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Is that a spring washer and seat? Anti-judder spring? Is the friction plate (#4 in drawing) a larger ID so the anti-judder spring and seat fit inside? The spring should be installed so its outer edge works against the seat, not a clutch plate. If installed incorrectly it could certainly cause wear and subsequent rough engagement.

These are common parts used in many motorcycle clutches. Unfortunately, many dealer mechanics do not understand what they are, how they work, or how to install them.
It is a flat washer and conical washer that go in between the first and second clutch plate. The friction plate (4) does have a larger inside diameter to fit over the washers. As these washers sit against the clutch plates I would expect some wear on the plate. I feel that due to the conical washer being put in backwards it has caused excessive wear, just not sure if this is the cause of my clutch engagement issue.
Reading through the forum, it would appear that I am not the only one to have issues after the TSB is performed. Wondering if there is some other issue with the replacement rubbers and clutch basket?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Old Wing Nut

The conical washer is a spring. Commonly referred to as a "judder" spring. It cushions the engagement of the clutch plate stack....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode