Odd noise, power loss but runs ok? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Odd noise, power loss but runs ok?

(Background info: Bike hasn't been run in 5 days and wasn't connected to charger).

Starting the bike from cold tonight - didn't catch initially then when it did a dreadful rattling from the left hand side of the bike (I didn't have my lid on at the time). But was definitely the LHS (as you sit on the bike).

It seemed to be from around here

but it could have been a bit lower, but not sure as I switched the engine off pronto.

Restarted the engine and it rattled again for about 1/2second and then stopped (the rattling not the engine).

Bike revved ok (usual rapid "Vrum" to 6-7k and back from a quick throttle blip) so rode out. Went to petrol station to fill up (1/2mile away). Bike didn't start on first take, but did on second.

Rode 60miles to bike meet up place via country lanes.

After standing for 90mins whilst I drank coffee and talked BS with people, the bike started first time - no issues at all. Road home, called in on a friend and again, on leaving (20 mins later) the bike fired first spin.

However, the bike *seems* underpowered. It still has more power than my RVF400, but it no longer had the headbanging, beavis and butthead idiocy that it seemed to have previously. It felt as is the engine breaking had been set to max and the torque and power to minimum - pulling the clutch in had the bike coasting more easily than in gear. It felt restricted. Yes, I changed engine mappings all around and back to sport just to be sure.

Still accelerated to 90mph* quickly and on a sustained effort in 6th for a few seconds hit 137mph* - but it just didn't **FEEL** as responsive as it had.

It felt as is the back brake was binding and slowing it down - so the bike slowed down more quickly and didn't accelerate as hard. If it had been like this all the time from riding my RVF then I wouldn't have noticed, but I'm pretty certain it is suffering about 30% powerloss. I dunno.

I'd put the noise and struggle to start down to sprag - but the powerloss? Is the sprag noise on the LHS?

The bike free-wheels fine. Nothing is binding. Revs to the redline (in neutral) very readily. So I can't think what the problem would be - if it was drivetrain (i.e. after clutch) then it wouldn't freewheel - if it was engine then it wouldn't rev freely...

The struggle to start might have been poor battery? I have noticed previously that if I don't keep her on charge and go to fill up after 2minutes riding from my house, then she struggles to start (usually 2nd attempt) - but after then is absolutely fine all day.

Suggestions folks?

*Obviously on a closed private road.

Take a chance while you still got the choice.
F3-800 / RVF400. Lancashire, England.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:10 PM

LHS rattle will be cam chain adjuster, hydraulic on later models such as yours, takes a moment or two for oil pressure to build and take slack out.

As for power loss, did you fuel up with supermarket crap fuel??

If it persists take it back to dealer.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboF4 View Post
LHS rattle will be cam chain adjuster, hydraulic on later models such as yours, takes a moment or two for oil pressure to build and take slack out.

As for power loss, did you fuel up with supermarket crap fuel??

If it persists take it back to dealer.
Yeah, it was supermarket crap. Never had an issue with that before though - I've filled all my bikes up at the same place for nearly 20yrs...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:22 PM

I'm afraid the supermarket fuel and tank maintenance and dispenser maintenance ain't great, add in fuel that seems to have a bit of a hit or miss quality has driven me to use the premium brands.

My wife used her F4 1000R other week filled up at our local supermarket, bike ran like crap, she left it with me to take a look borrowed my B800 filled it at the same place, it ran like crap.

Took a few tanks of good stuff to get both bikes back working good again.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Ok thanks - that kinda makes sense from what I was feeling. I did actually wonder when I first felt the powerloss if I'd put diesel in accidently! (I hadn't).
My local dealer seems a very good guy though - I will email him for piece of mind. I'll keep you all upto date.

M

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:36 AM
Established Member

check your exhaust valve...mine closed up and this really choked up the power and it didn't rev fast at all. It will also make a weird exhaust noise. The bike will have decent power but feels like its say 50hp down

Usually you will get a STOP ENG warning for this but maybe in your case you didn't.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRCPUG View Post
check your exhaust valve...mine closed up and this really choked up the power and it didn't rev fast at all. It will also make a weird exhaust noise. The bike will have decent power but feels like its say 50hp down

Usually you will get a STOP ENG warning for this but maybe in your case you didn't.
How do I check it?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 04:36 AM
Established Member

First off, get rid of the POS original battery if it's still in there. I stuck with it for a year and had to faff about plugging in the tender every couple of weeks when it wasn't getting used much, just to be safe - died a couple of times on me. Few quid on a Yuasa and an hour removing half the bike to get at it and since fitting, no issues, not been on charge once.

It didn't drop enough voltage when cranking to re-set, did it? Hasn't dropped you down into a different mode or map? Maybe the throttle has re-set to normal instead of sport, which would probably feel the way you describe...

If it's choked up, yeah, maybe the valve stuck shut also - can't remember if I've ever seen it cycle on ignition on, but that's pretty usual behaviour for things with a valve so maybe try looking at it while you're turning the key to on.

2013 MV Agusta F3 675 EAS
2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Update:
Left her on charge all night then took her 10miles to nearest good fuel station. Put 13litres of super-plus-good-look-at-all-my-additives-damn-this-is-expensive fuel in and took her for a blast.

All back to normal.

Seems fuel was the issue.

So - as long as the rattling is nothing to worry about - then all is well again.

And yeah - maybe a new battery might be a good idea.

M

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:39 AM
Established Member

I pretty much always stick the super-whatever fuel in it - not because of any belief of power gains, just because the stuff usually has decent detergent additives and is less likely to be full of ethanol. For the sake of an extra 50p or quid per tank, whatever it ends up being...

Glad you're sorted.

2013 MV Agusta F3 675 EAS
2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
The Following User Says Thank You to Shug For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode