Help diagnose issue - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Help diagnose issue

Hey guys. My 2013 F3 675 has an issue. I have the whole bike pulled apart down to the bare essentials and still can't find the problem

Issue: was canyon riding today and at around 80 MPH in a corner the bike bogged down huge and started to what is best described as a 250. Very deep grumble. It feels like it's running on one or two cylinders. Won't go above 70 mph and RPM is somewhat normal for each gear. If stopped the bike will slowly stall. Normal operating temp. No overheating.

I thought perhaps a vaccuum leak. No I checked everything

Maybe the fuel tank vent is blocked. No

Maybe exhaust valve is messed up. Nope

I pulled the spark plugs and all look good and tan

Could this be as simple as a dead battery? Would the bike act that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 09:20 PM

What was the TC set to?
What you describe is what I think my bike was doing when the TC was set too high. The bike decided to cut power even though there was no wheel spin.
During my first year with my 2013 F3 it also would surge when leaned over in high speed sweepers.

the Dreamer
(a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 675 MV F3 Red Molly
1998 900 SS FE silFEr

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
What was the TC set to?
What you describe is what I think my bike was doing when the TC was set too high. The bike decided to cut power even though there was no wheel spin.
During my first year with my 2013 F3 it also would surge when leaned over in high speed sweepers.
It totally feels like TC is cutting power. I always have it set on 1. I moved it to zero and still nothing. I noticed the wheel speed sensor which I think also monitors TC is wearing down. I don't think that's normal and maybe is part of the cause. Maybe if I disconnect the sensor and see if that helps? I ordered a new battery and three new Coils to see if that fixes any issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I hope it's the coils or battery. If not I'm not sure where to look and it may have to go to the dealer. Ugh!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 02:21 PM

With those symptoms I would check the air filter isn't blocked.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 02:50 PM

He would have gone past the airfilter to get to the spark plugs so I would doubt that...

Do give a bit more info, it first happened while leaning over, does it do it all the time since that moment or only while leaning over under similar conditions (that wasnt explained too clear)

Just a few shots in the dark here here:

1. Didnt hit the pit speed limiter accidentally by any chance?
2. Throttle position sensor (throttle grip), any errors there?
3. Raw fuel smell? Sooty exhaust?

My brothers B3 675 had really dodgey fueling after its first service and map update, on the freeway it would just cut power and be completely unresponsive and then recover a few seconds later. Fuel consumption was also really bad. Took it back and had them reload the software and calibrate everything and been good since then. I take it you havent hooked it up to the Texa diagnostics or done a map change recently?

Most probably the coils as you mentioned, do replace the plugs while you there and also check the valve clearances since you've gone through the effort of stripping half the bike to get to the plugs (as a preventative thing, doubt the valves would be the issue here).

If the TC is OFF, why would it still interfere?

Let us know if you get it up and running.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
He would have gone past the airfilter to get to the spark plugs so I would doubt that...

Do give a bit more info, it first happened while leaning over, does it do it all the time since that moment or only while leaning over under similar conditions (that wasnt explained too clear)

Just a few shots in the dark here here:

1. Didnt hit the pit speed limiter accidentally by any chance?
2. Throttle position sensor (throttle grip), any errors there?
3. Raw fuel smell? Sooty exhaust?

My brothers B3 675 had really dodgey fueling after its first service and map update, on the freeway it would just cut power and be completely unresponsive and then recover a few seconds later. Fuel consumption was also really bad. Took it back and had them reloa[/ATTACH] the software and calibrate everything and been good since then. I take it you havent hooked it up to the Texa diagnostics or done a map change recently?

Most probably the coils as you mentioned, do replace the plugs while you there and also check the valve clearances since you've gone through the effort of stripping half the bike to get to the plugs (as a preventative thing, doubt the valves would be the issue here).

If the TC is OFF, why would it still interfere?

Let us know if you get it up and running.

Took it a step farther. I did a compression test. From left to right it reads 210, 0, 180. Pulled the valve cover too peak no visual clues.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 166
Size:  131.7 KB
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Ta da! Here it is folks. Sorry for so many replies. I just wanna keep ya posted on my progress. Check out that bad boy. Name:  image.png
Views: 173
Size:  618.3 KB
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 03:03 AM
Established Member

Full exhaust or just an end can? Given the cat is in the headers, I'd agree that it'd be massively unlikely that putting an end can on it would bother the fuelling enough to burn off a valve.

I'd definitely approach MV to see if there's any form of goodwill fix on the cards - engines shouldn't be dropping valves at three years old.

2013 MV Agusta F3 675 EAS
2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkolby View Post
Ta da! Here it is folks. Sorry for so many replies. I just wanna keep ya posted on my progress. Check out that bad boy.
No problem at all, it's a nice read with closure

If you didn't post your findings, it'd be like reading a book with the last few crucial pages missing

Kag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode