so lets talk radiator/coolant sounds - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

so lets talk radiator/coolant sounds

OK, so it is a known "feature" that many of the bikes don't like a lot of coolant in the overflow tank. With my TV, it wants to be below the MIN line, and if I add any it will puke it out when the bike is shut off.

The latest variation on this is gurgling when it is shut off. No coolant out the bottom, no overheating, but after the engine shuts down there is a burbling/gurgling sound (like air/fluid is being sucked through a tube and bubbling into...something).

Anyone else heard this and know what is going on? I'm just trying to understand this quirky Italian a bit more. As long as I've got coolant and it isn't overheating I don't care, just wondering.
Lord Wukits and Lord Wukits like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

'16 MV TV | '16 BMW R1200GSw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 03:07 PM

When its cold remove the radiator cap and check coolant level in radiator. Sounds like you have an airlock. If the level is low check the centre pin valve in the cap. This valve allows fluid to flow back to the rad from the overflow bottle and if its stuck closed you lose fluid as the overflow bottle fills but doesn't return to rad.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
... but after the engine shuts down there is a burbling/gurgling sound (like air/fluid is being sucked through a tube and bubbling into...something).....
Sure it isn't the fuel tank venting? Open the fuel cap next time and see if it doesn't stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Will check both of those, but with the TV I think I have to remove body work to get to the radiator cap which will slow me down . Thx.

|
|

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:04 PM

I think you'll find it is the fuel tank venting as is already mentioned.
My bike does it alot , and for days after the last ride.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:32 PM

New Site Garage
FWIW, requiring coolant level to run at minimum level is not just a TV issue, every single MV model from 1999 to current models require this guys.

Now, It's not the fuel tank, the fuel tank sound is just air/fumes escaping, different sound.

If you're hearing gurgling sounds it coolant bubbling, and this can only be caused by air in your cooling system, this is verified by the fact that even at minimum your bike pumps out the coolant. This is because air expands soo much more than coolant when heated.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I opened the gas cap when it was doing it and it didn't stop. Definitely sounds like it is from the coolant system. Looks like I'll have to figure out how to bleed the air out. Or let the shop do it as the bike needs to go in for a clutch TSB. I hate taking bodywork off...

|
|

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

So from gotojoe on the 4-cyl side:

-----
From cold,

Take the cap off the expansion bottle...start your bike..Leave the filler cap off.lean it to the left 45 deg or so and rock it back and forth a bit.

Let the temp rise but not enough to boil as that will blow coolant out of the filler. I let it get up to about 80 deg C.

Bubbles will rise...but not necessarily all the bubbles in the system...and that is the key...to accept that it is nigh on impossible to purge all the air in one go...

Switch off the engine. Let it cool down a good bit and then refit the cap.
-----

Will this work with the TV as well? I like this as I can get to the overflow tank without removing body panels. Yes, I'm lazy and only marginally mechanically competent

If it will work, anyone know what 80C translates to on the TV temp bar display? I don't have an IR thermometer. I'm assuming just under halfway?

|
|

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:09 PM

New Site Garage
Joe's method is okay, but you can do it much easier on the TV because you have only one radiator.
I imagine 80degC will be about half way up the display on the TV.
Look at the coolant bleeding methods employed in the manuals for the Rivalle or Brutale, it'll be close enough to your bike. Sorry I've not been able to get hold of a TV workshop manual as yet.

Keep in mind that the F4's of old does not have a radiator cap as your bike does, don't confuse models too much.

Then there's also the possibility of a faulty radiato cap which we've seen on other 3-cylinder models.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 07-15-2016 at 09:11 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 03:28 AM

Mine does it too, after a hard hot ride...me thinks its radiator coolant boiling? It's nigh time I replaced my Engine Ice. Its been a few years.. ok 5 years

James M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode