TV indicator failure - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
TV indicator failure

I've now owned my TV for two months and have covered close to 3,000 miles. It's a great bike though there are some issues with ancillary electronics.

I have had all four indicators now fail. This is, I believe, in part due to water ingress. The rear units, being mounted so low, are particularly vulnerable to spray and judging by the apparent condensation are just not sufficiently sealed.

The latest to fail is the right rear though oddly it did come back to life a for a few hours. Now, though not all the time, the left indicators work as expected (except the front only has half the LEDs working) but attempting to use the right indicators results in one flash and then neither left or right work until the ignition is cycled.

Whilst the bike is obviously still in warranty the dealer should be sorting this out. Not sure if I have faith in the factory to resolve the issue though and doing most of my riding back and forth to the dealer isn't ideal.

Ideally I think it needs a numberplate bracket, with indicators, that attaches under the seat and extends far enough back so as to not foul the panniers. Don't think it would be unsightly, in fact I would by far prefer this to the rather ugly current arrangement, the whole rear fender could be gotten rid of, it's unsprung weight anyway. I've searched for something like this and accept that as it's for something of a niche model it's either not going to happen or take some time to materialise. Toying with the idea of making my own.

The R&G attempt is no better than what's already there IMHO.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:58 AM

Chas

Having not picked up my TV800 yet I am not able to answer my question for myself, but does the upper section of the rear subframe have any cross sectional supports that are visible when the rear seat removed that would enable any such tail tidy to attach to? Just curious as I too am not overly keen on the current design, but agree the number of units that would be sold would mean it is unlikely anyone will produce something like this.

However, surely what you are describing is potentially life threatening i.e. the indicators are working then they are not and you get no visible knowledge of this whilst riding? I have read of this problem happening to a few TV800 owners (although strangely not as many Dragster or Rivale owners have had similar failures?) so with that and the safety issue surely there are grounds for a recall before something terrible happens?

Stuck on a rock off the coast of France
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:16 AM

In a perfect world there would be a rear top box mount that also had a plate/signal attachment, though that would require rerouting the wiring. I put Skene P3 lights on my bikes _ except the TV due to the low mounting of the plate. So far no issues with indicators but it never rains in California, the girls only warn you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

'16 MV TV | '16 BMW R1200GSw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBrut View Post
what you are describing is potentially life threatening i.e. the indicators are working then they are not and you get no visible knowledge of this whilst riding?
Well, the idiot lights on the dash let you know that something is up. With total failure at one indicator unit the flash is twice the rate. If there's total failure of the whole indicator system, as I experienced on Monday and yesterday, then the idiot light doesn't illuminate at all.

Was rather distracting trying to monitor this heading to the ferry at Santander on the Autovia whilst negotiating Spanish traffic and heeding what the sat nav was saying. We were a little late so also trying to maintain bang on the speed limit, which varied from one spot to the next, to make progress (Spanish police are renowned for setting up speed traps on this road before ferry departure times).

My next trip out will be to Ed Cosker's next week to get this looked at and get the half faulty front left indicator changed (hopefully they'll have received the part from Italy).

Chas
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 03:50 PM
Established Member

My rear right indicator was cloudy, but I decided I didn't like the original ones so rather than pursue a replacement under warranty, I changed both for some Rizoma ones that I think match the styling of the bike really well and look neater.
Attached Images

Neville
Turismo Veloce
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for posting that, they do look nice

Have been looking at the various CNC ones from Design Corse with the same thought. Having had all four indicators replaced now I'm just waiting for the next one to fail, only seems a question of time. The current ones haven't had a real soaking yet so there's still time... Might be an idea to replace them now so I have an operational set of the originals in case I ever trade the bike in, you know how dealers like bikes to be stock.

How did you splice yours in and also how did you mount them to the number plate bracket? Was suitable mounting hardware included or did you have to fabricate it?

Chas
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 08:44 AM

New Site Garage
I have thought about it as well after seeing that style on the new Brutale at the nec last year, my biggest concern is one getting knocked off as someone walks past or parks a bit close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:08 PM
Established Member

Quote:
How did you splice yours in and also how did you mount them to the number plate bracket? Was suitable mounting hardware included or did you have to fabricate it?
No mounting hardware, but they do come with resistors to correct the load on the flasher unit if fitting to a non-LED bike. Had to make a T-shaped mounting bracket from a sheet of dural, it's held on by the upper two number plate holder screws, sandwiched between the mudguard and the number plate mount.
The original plan for the wires was to remove the original indicators intact, and make up leads with bullet connectors on one end and MV plugs on the other end, to connect into the loom under the hub. The problem I had was we couldn't undo the screws holding the U shaped mudguard bracket to the arm attached to the hub. The wires for the indicators and number plate light are routed between these two pieces in a shallow channel. Used penetrating oil, tried an impact driver, couldn't get them undone.
Chas, hopefully you won't have that problem if your indicators have already been replaced once.
We tried pulling the wires through but the plugs woudn't make it around a tight bend. In the end I cut the wires off near the original indicators, routed them through the grommet in the mudguard and then crimped on bullet connectors, and attached the new indicators. Then taped up the bullet connectors and hid any excess wire behind the number plate.

Quote:
my biggest concern is one getting knocked off as someone walks past or parks a bit close
I know what you mean Red, but the new ones only stick out 1" further each side than the originals, plus they have rubber mounting arns, and the bracket is quite springy, so there is a fair amount of give if they get caught on something.
Attached Images

Neville
Turismo Veloce

Last edited by r6ymy; 08-15-2016 at 01:18 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for the explanation Neville, really appreciated. Will look into getting the parts together to fabricate a similar set-up before the crap weather returns in the Autumn.

You're correct that the cast alloy arm between hub and rear mudguard on my bike has already been removed. Been done by Ed's tech twice whilst resolving my rear indicator issues. Last time I was asked to select one of the new full assemblies (arm, mudguard, plate bracket, indicators and plate light) from the selection that they had in the workshop, they just swapped the whole lot. I believe that these had come off of Brutales that were going into the showroom to which they fit nice tail tidies as a matter of course. So hopefully undoing this will be an easier task, need to loosen those bolts for chain adjustment at some stage anyway.

Looks like I might have to cut the original indicator wires as you have done anyway as there isn't a source, that I'm aware of, for the tiny plugs that connect under the hub. Will make for an easier install and means that adding bullets to the originals will make reconnection, if/when required, easy too.

Chas
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 05:41 AM
Established Member

I got the plugs from Design Corse, needed to use one as we damaged one of the original plugs trying to get it through that channel in the arm. Wire pulled out of the plug. I know they are only LED lights but the original wiring is the thinnest shittiest wire imaginable.
https://www.designcorse.com/products...r-adaptors-set

Neville
Turismo Veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode