Odd Fan not working issue - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Odd Fan not working issue

Got a service with the new(ish) Scottish MV dealer and I had them look at a non-functioning rad fan that died relatively recently.

Obviously I'd checked the fuse myself and it's not that.

They say that they can manually switch the fan on when logged into the ECU - so it works and the relays, fuses etc must work. The temp sensor is also reporting sensible values.

But the bike won't switch the fan on when it gets hot enough (I think they mentioned 102 degrees C as the set value)

They were stumped and have asked MV for guidance, but just in case it was something that anyone else has come across?

2013 MV Agusta F3 675 EAS
2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 11:04 AM

If fan wiring and fan are proved ok it must be a signal problem so I would replace the sensor as first trouble shooting. Shorting out sensor wires will make fan run and prove its a sensor issue.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Sensor is reporting sensible values to the ECU supposedly though - as they could tell me what temp they let it get to.

Unless there's a separate sensor for fan activation that differs from the dash display? I'll check the manual

2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 11:20 PM

New Site Garage
Odd Fan not working issue

I was having issues with the fan/temp on the Turismo, turned out it was the sensor by the headers which was matted in rubber from the radiator cap, had both replaced and now running sweet.
Hope it's an easy fix mate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Yep - looked at the manual to find two sensors, one in the head as Red says and one in the rad end tank. Next job, whip off the fairings and test the sensors (resistance values are given in the workshop manuals) and short out the plugs to see if that prompts the fan to come on. One would hope the dealer had tried this, but just to be absolutely sure for myself.

Streetrider - the sensor in the head is to the right hand side of the bike, you can see the plug going into it just above the headers when you peer in the right hand air outlet in the fairing.

2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 07:09 AM

Let us know how you get on.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Just to update, the sensors tested okay for resistance, certainly at ambient, so current thinking is wiring issue.

Bike's going back in to dealers for an extended stay so they can strip and check.

Just out of interest, from my unplugging session, it looks like the one in the head feeds the dash and the one in the rad might be what the ECU uses to determine fan activation (which makes sense)

2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:05 AM

Had the same problem, changed both sensors and the fan is now working correctly after this even on realy hot day, as long as the bike was not standing still I had no issues with temp, unitl as was stuck in traffic yam in Stockholm
The sensor seamed to get the right reading in the computer, good luck
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks - current thought is that one of the sensors was slightly out of calibration with the other. So awaiting that arriving for them to change it out and try. Hopefully we don't have to change both as that'll be another parts wait!

2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Just to update and close this off - it was sensors. Whilst the dash was reading right, the one in the rad tested a bit out of sync with the one in the head, so both were swapped out. Problem gone.

2000 Kawasaki ZX7R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode