Revs not dropping - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Revs not dropping

Bike group rideout today and it's usually long n quite fast. about 200km into it I noticed every time I pulled the clutch in the revs would sit at or rev up to about 3-4000 rpm.
Now I did have something similar a few weeks back (when letting off the throttle it would take ages for the revs to drop but they didn't run up, so would hold too much speed going into corners) but was unable to recreate it since then.
Now today this lasted maybe 30 minutes, we'd stopped for grub for about 45 minutes and after that it seemed fine. Now originally I thought it was the throttle grip but I tried quick downshifting and that still works so it doesn't seem like it's getting an input from the throttle itself as this stops you from downshifting.
Both times these issues have happened it has been quite hot here, the bike getting up to a bar over half on the temp gauge but nothing more than that.
Any ideas folks, gimme some ammo to take to the dealer, due it's 12,000km service now anyway.
Ta
John

Current steed - MY16 Dragster RR
Previous Bike - 2008 Triumph Street Triple
Scottish and living it up in South East Spain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 11:25 AM

vacuum problem?

Todd
2013 F3 675 (RIP)
2014 B3 800 Italia
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk140 View Post
vacuum problem?
+1

Next time this happens, pull over and open the tank cap. If it's hard to open or you hear a sucking sound your tank vacuum hose is probably pinched or dirty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Cheers fellas, will give that a go next time I'm out.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 06:16 AM
Established Member

My money is on the oxygen sensor.
A fast ride sees me needing fuel in 150km

My Current Bikes
2014 VFR1200F ~ How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
2013 B3 800 ~ Naked Foolishness!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 06:26 AM

Why would a vacuum in the tank cause the engine to rev? Don't get it.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 06:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Jogort...is the bike actually at higher revs, or is it just indicating higher revs?

The reason I ask is that the 1090RR has an issue where the tach will sporadically add 3k to the revs because of poor electrical connection at the back of the dash....

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Jogort...is the bike actually at higher revs, or is it just indicating higher revs?

The reason I ask is that the 1090RR has an issue where the tach will sporadically add 3k to the revs because of poor electrical connection at the back of the dash....
Definitely at higher revs mate, can hear it and feel it as well as seeing it on the dash.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Why would a vacuum in the tank cause the engine to rev? Don't get it.
The fuel pump has to work harder and can't get enough fuel into the cilinders. On the other hand there is just as much air going into the cilinders. Too much air for fuel = higher revs.
I played with 2-strokes back in the day.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogort View Post
Definitely at higher revs mate, can hear it and feel it as well as seeing it on the dash.
Hi Jogort,

I think I know what you are talking about.

This is what happens to mine. See if you agree

Symptoms: The revs do not slow down as quick as the bike usually does. It almost has a loose feeling to it. When you let off the throttle in gear, the engine braking is very, very weak. When you blip the throttle in neutral (or clutch in), the time it takes for the engine to get back to idle is longer.

Personal root cause: Excessive engine braking. Well, no so much 'excessive' but aggressive I guess. If I am travelling at speed and I need to slow down to 50mph for example, I'd front brake and blip down to 3rd. If I leave throttle closed and allow the engine and front brake to shave the rest of the speed down to 50mph, the engine suddenly 'let's go' and its almost as if it has lost compression. That's when the symptoms kick in.

Personal workaround: At first, I assumed that maybe I was taxing the engine too much and decided (in above scenario for example) to shift down one more gear, to relive the engine a little. I also started pulling in the clutch towards the end of my deceleration to relieve the engine. Now I just ride how I was in the beginning, but instead of closing the throttle and holding front brake, I just hold the throttle open just a little. I hardly ever get this issue now.

Would be nice to understand from the pros as to what is happening here.

By the way, if/when it does happen, I just carry on, but a little more reserved and it sorts itself out.

It almost seems like the engine is kicking in a safety mechanism to protect itself, not too sure.

Erm, if this is not what you are talking about, then just ignore my post

Kag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode