TURISMO First time out woes - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

TURISMO First time out woes

Being as the weather here has finally turned to something more like summer here and i have found the the time, i took my first ride out on the Turismo today. I've been looking forward to riding it for months now and can say i am not disappointed, absolutely love it as an all round bike. It does everything pretty well, including falling apart 😜.

So i've only covered about 90 miles and the problems have already started.
Firstly the Dash comes up with a "GPS" error and won't go away, Secondly the clip that holds the rear brake lever to the master cylinder FELL OFF!!! and I was wondering why i had to push the lever so low to get any rear brake?, i knew the pedal is quite low from standard, which is annoying in it's self.

Finally i noticed the coolant bottle was almost empty before setting out, obviously not "PDi'd" very well so topped it up, but the thing still gets near max on the temp gauge with the fans going 10 to the dozen if you sit idling at traffic lights to long.

Don't get me wrong, even with these early faults, it hasn't dampened my spirits and i still love the bike and will persevere with it, as i know they will get sorted eventually, hopefully when it's due the first service, that's if they don't go bust in the meantime.

I knew buying an MV would have it's issues and understood what it would entail and i suppose that it's all is part of the game owning a piece of automotive art from a relatively small volume manufacturer, Although i have to say their passion, design, fit and finish is outstanding and companies like this do need supporting or they disappear and we're just left with bland, which is why i bought 2 bikes from them, can't really think of many other bikes or manufacturers i could say that about.

Also can't think of many other bikes (and i've had a lot of them) i would want in my lounge, just to stare at lovingly 😝

Has anyone else had or know about any of these problems or any short term fixes or solutions? the bike will go back to the dealer, but with a dealer 2 hours away and 4 bikes to ride this summer, that could be some while 🤔

Cheers.

P.S. Oh i nearly forgot, the mirror came loose as well..... at this rate there won't be much bike left to take back to the dealers 🙈😂
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:37 PM

New Site Garage
Not a great start Johnsie. As you say it's difficult to judge your bike against other marques when there's so much right with it to start with. Partly backed up by the fact that we've just spent a sh*t load of money and need to justify to ourselves that we've done the right thing... Convinced that I have BTW.

Assuming that you have a Lusso as you are having issues with the bike's GPS. Just a guess but have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while, say 5 minutes, and see if that helps? There is a factory reset in the settings menu (gears on the left) on the dash but I suspect that just resets the various configuration options that the rider can make to the default settings. If a hardware problem then dealer will have to resolve under warranty.

If it's on does turning off the data logger make the warning go away?

I doubt it'll be a GPS initial acquisition thing as it's reported as a fault.

Rear brake pedal travel, hmmm, mine seems to need quite a bit of movement to get any bite. Must have a look at that.

I did read somewhere (can't recall where) that the coolant bottle, assume you're talking about the one to the right of the headstock, needs to be quite low when the engine is cold.

I've been surprised how effective the mirrors are once I'd adjusted them and found a sweet spot. A touch narrow maybe but I'm not complaining, no issues with looseness yet after 500 miles.

The LED indicators are my biggest issue, rear left gone completely, the front right has one LED out. On the demo bike it had two out on the front right. From the few times I've mentioned it here the responses from other TV owners seem to suggest that this is common.

I hope your dealer sees you right. Where abouts are you, your mention of the weather just having improved possibly means the UK?

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Last edited by Bumpkin; 05-05-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Additional thought
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Hi Chas

No it's not a great start, but having said that i know people who have bought 100,000+ cars and had plenty of issues, so it doesn't seem to matter how much you spend, it won't guarantee you build quality or reliability these days.

Manufacturers don't want to risk wasting precious sales time in getting products to market at the expense of longevity testing their products before hand. There were days when they used to make things bullet proof, sadly i think those days are gone for good?

Yes it's a Lusso, i have tried disconnecting the battery for an hour, done the factory reset on the dash, so i guess it's probably either a faulty GPS sensor or needs to be reset with a dealer diagnostic tool?

I agree the Mirrors are great, when they're not moving around on their own accord.

Oh you just reminded me of another thing, the rear left indicator on mine did stop working as well today, but a couple of old fashioned thumps seemed to do the trick, for now haha.

Dealer is about 2.5 hors away from me, 5 hour non stop round trip or make that 6 with coffee stops, thats if they can do it while i wait, which i am very doubtful of, but would love to be proved wrong.??
if not then going to be a long 2 days to drop of and pick up again. Wouldn't be so bad if i had a local one, but then again if everyone had an MV, they wouldn't be as special as they are.

Might have to see if dealer is willing to pick up or deliver, again very doubtful, have to see what transpires.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:35 PM

New Site Garage
Your coolant's NOT supposed to be full.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Your coolant's NOT supposed to be full.
Yes i know, but expansion tank was completely empty and no where near the Min mark.
Attached Images

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:55 AM

New Site Garage
My coolant level is always below the minimum mark on my Dragster, can just see fluid at the bottom. Never overheats and asked on its last service and was told it's fine.

Current steed - MY16 Dragster RR
Previous Bike - 2008 Triumph Street Triple
Scottish and living it up in South East Spain
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogort View Post
My coolant level is always below the minimum mark on my Dragster, can just see fluid at the bottom. Never overheats and asked on its last service and was told it's fine.
exactly ^

2014 Brutale 800
eas, non-abs
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 10:16 AM

If you put coolant to the min level, it'll puke coolant through the overflow until it gets back to a level it likes. Just a quirk of the bike.

Rear brake - mine went to zero pretty quickly. I bled it and it is usable but certainly not great. Haven't looked at adjusting the height yet, but it isn't exactly robust ime. Luckily the front brake is awesome.

The bike has "Character" but hopefully it will stabilize once the initial issues are sorted. I just did 400 miles yesterday on my Tiger, and while it was flawless it also was kinda boring. The TV on the other hand, makes me giggle every time I ride it. Now I wasn't an F3 too...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 11:04 AM

New Site Garage
Hi Johnsie,
please check your Software Version... it should be Vers. 1.04 ...
You may have some old Software on it!

Gero
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 11:49 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
Where abouts are you, your mention of the weather just having improved possibly means the UK?
Just realised that our paths have crossed before so I know where you're from.

I'm obviously getting senile...

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode