Throttle help please - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Throttle help please

I have a 2014 Brutale 800 with 8500 miles which is out of warranty. It has developed a surging problem.

It starts and idles fine but when I slightly twist and hold the throttle to about 2500 RPM it will surge up and down.

I notice this surging while riding and it's getting very annoying plus it's unsafe as hell!

Is this something I might be able to fix myself? Perhaps cleaning a connection or is it something the dealer will have to charge me a ton of money such as balancing the throttle bodies?

Give it your best guess, I'm open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 04:04 PM
Banned

Hi I had this on my brand new dragster 800 after 100 miles it is called hunting or that's what the dealer called it lol I also had it cutting out when changing down gears 3-2-1 !! I asked for advise on here and was told it needed the throttle body air screws adjusting which they did and it cured it until I sold it a year later , you can do it yourself but I'm no mechanic but there are a lot of good lads on here with the knowledge that can advise you on adjustment hope this of help to you but it isn't dangerous ya can still ride it but it makes it a bit awkward at slow clutch control speeds Lol
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidemark View Post
Hi I had this on my brand new dragster 800 after 100 miles it is called hunting or that's what the dealer called it lol I also had it cutting out when changing down gears 3-2-1 !! I asked for advise on here and was told it needed the throttle body air screws adjusting which they did and it cured it until I sold it a year later , you can do it yourself but I'm no mechanic but there are a lot of good lads on here with the knowledge that can advise you on adjustment hope this of help to you but it isn't dangerous ya can still ride it but it makes it a bit awkward at slow clutch control speeds Lol
Thanks. I'm afraid you're probably right about it being an adjustment of the throttle bodies. I was hoping it might be more of an easy-to-fix electrical issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 11:17 PM
Established Member

You could try a different map and see if that helps but it sounds like throttle body balance to be honest.

My Current Bikes
2014 VFR1200F ~ How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
2013 B3 800 ~ Naked Foolishness!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 03:35 AM

Throttle body adjustment is easy on the brutale and will transform the bike. You will need to use the bikes fuel tank as opposed to the usual method of using a stand alone tank. This is because the pump is on the base of the tank and the fuel pressure is high so you need to use the bikes fuel lines which click and lock. The adjusters are on the front of the throttle bodies and have rubber blanks fitted.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidger View Post
Throttle body adjustment is easy on the brutale and will transform the bike. You will need to use the bikes fuel tank as opposed to the usual method of using a stand alone tank. This is because the pump is on the base of the tank and the fuel pressure is high so you need to use the bikes fuel lines which click and lock. The adjusters are on the front of the throttle bodies and have rubber blanks fitted.
Sorry mate, I'm a little lost here. No where in the repair manuals do I see how to do this procedure. Do you mean the tank has to be slightly lifted while keeping it connected to the engine? Then somewhere in that area are adjusters covered by rubber fittings? Don't you need to have some kind of vacuum gauge to know exactly how to balance the throttle body or some other kind of gauge?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:28 PM

Its easiest to remove the tank while you remove the other bits to get to the adjusters and connect your vacuum gauges then place the tank back on the frame about 6 inches behind where it normally sits so the fuel line and electric plug still reach. That way you use the self sealing connectors already fitted to the bike and also the fuel pump fitted to the underside of the tank. Where abouts are you. There may be someone near you who has done it before and can help you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 02:13 PM

I put the tank on a plastic garden chair next to the bike. When you're adjusting don't go nuts it's more tweaking than major twisting of the screws. In my experience each screw around half a turn out from closed is a good starting place. As you tweak keep revving the motor - you'll feel the throttle smooth out when its close .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode