strange engine rhythm and irregular power at lower RPM- Dragster RR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

strange engine rhythm and irregular power at lower RPM- Dragster RR

Hi All,

I'm in need of some assistance.

Sometime after the latest map update at the end of October/ beginning of November 2015, I have noticed that my bike's engine sound sometimes has an irregular cadence at lower RPM. This is coupled with irregular power delivery mostly in the form of random power loss, then a surge.

For example, while in first gear, if I try to hold steady at around 25mph, the engine seems to get into this rhythm audibly where the firing is closer together than expected, almost machine gun like. This happens in second gear around ~35mph also.

Its a bit hard to describe. I will see if I can get some video/audio of it at some point in the next couple of days.

The only modification to the engine is FM Project slip on exhaust.

This didn't happen until recently. I can't recall if it happened at first after the map update or not, so its possible it could be map related or something else.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

2019 MV Agusta Dragster RR
2017 Aprilia RSV4-RF (SOLD)
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory (DECEASED)
2015 MV Agusta Dragster RR (SOLD)
2013 Triumph Daytona (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:14 AM

Hey

What mapping are you using?
What TC level you on?

Kag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:23 AM

I have a habit of missing replies, so I'll explain:

Reason I ask is because the map can determine what your throttle response will be. This is in regards to the noise issue you talk about. TBH, I wouldnt attempt to hold 25mph steady in first gear. The only thing that gear is good for is acceleration. Instead, try slightly lower revs in 2nd.

The slightest movement on the throttle is over exaggerated at those speeds in first and she will get upset/confused on whether you want to accelerate or decelerate. Maintaining a speed is unheard of to her loool

Regarding the surge, I'd say check your TC; it may be the culprit. The delay in power could be due to a high TC setting. Best to test that first and foremost

Kag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:48 AM
Established Member

Sounds like a misfire, TBH.

2013 MV Agusta F3 675 EAS
2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 04:21 AM

The TC works off of an algorithm read by the ECU. Engine speed + Rear wheel slippage= TC intervention. It's a very basic system,I'd be surprised if this has anything to do with what your describing.

Did you fit the slip-on before of after the map update? If it was after, then things went bad, why not try putting the old exhaust back and see what happens?

Whenever you change something like a slip on, it does change how it runs. The ECU doesn't recognize this type of change, so no fuelling correction is made.

If you determine that it's the slip on, you can re-fit then get the bike dyno tuned.

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 02:47 PM

Mine had a similar thing before I tuned the throttle bodies. Sounded like wuh wuh wuh wuh and sometimes it would stall when you closed the throttle.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kageira View Post
I have a habit of missing replies, so I'll explain:

Reason I ask is because the map can determine what your throttle response will be. This is in regards to the noise issue you talk about. TBH, I wouldnt attempt to hold 25mph steady in first gear. The only thing that gear is good for is acceleration. Instead, try slightly lower revs in 2nd.

The slightest movement on the throttle is over exaggerated at those speeds in first and she will get upset/confused on whether you want to accelerate or decelerate. Maintaining a speed is unheard of to her loool

Regarding the surge, I'd say check your TC; it may be the culprit. The delay in power could be due to a high TC setting. Best to test that first and foremost
Hi Kag,

Thanks for the response.

My current map is the update from fall last year. I am not sure if a newer one is available as my dealer doesn't let me know.

I don't believe this is a twitchy throttle case. I totally understand where you are coming from. I am quite sensitive to the twitchy throttle as I came from a Daytona 675R which was not drive by wire. It has taken some time to work on riding smooth at lower speeds. I believe the underlying cause is something else.

I have tried different TC settings, and the issue is present regardless of the TC setting.

-Michael

Last edited by makers_mike; 02-16-2016 at 11:38 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shug View Post
Sounds like a misfire, TBH.
This was my first thought...

-Michael

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
The TC works off of an algorithm read by the ECU. Engine speed + Rear wheel slippage= TC intervention. It's a very basic system,I'd be surprised if this has anything to do with what your describing.

Did you fit the slip-on before of after the map update? If it was after, then things went bad, why not try putting the old exhaust back and see what happens?

Whenever you change something like a slip on, it does change how it runs. The ECU doesn't recognize this type of change, so no fuelling correction is made.

If you determine that it's the slip on, you can re-fit then get the bike dyno tuned.

Hi Matt,

I don't believe it is the TC either. My TC setting does not make the issue worse or better.

I have had the slip on basically from the start of ownership. I had the stock map when I picked up the bike, then the map updated last year in the fall. I don't believe the timing of this issue corresponds to the map update, but I could be wrong as I don't remember exactly when it started. I did not have this problem before with this slip on.

-Michael

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Mine had a similar thing before I tuned the throttle bodies. Sounded like wuh wuh wuh wuh and sometimes it would stall when you closed the throttle.
Hey Jono,

I had the throttle bodies checked at my first service and adjusted, but that was mid last year. I guess its possible that they would need to be adjusted again.

I haven't had any issues with stalling with a closed throttle.

I have had issues of losing power when making slower turns (think making a right after stopping at a stop sign). This is rare, but sometimes happens, and I'm not sure if it is related.

-Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode