Coolant Spills after ride hard on Sport Mode/Trackdays - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Lightbulb Coolant Spills after ride hard on Sport Mode/Trackdays

Hi Guys

I have an issue which my coolant spills after a hard ride. Normally this thing happen when in sport mode and on trackdays.

What actually happen and any guide to troubleshoot this issue ?

Is the coolant volume more than the max level causing this issue ?

Its normally start spills from the reserve area to the frame area...

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 03:03 AM

Its a known problem.
Search in the forum. There is much written about this problem.

But keep the level in the expansion tank at the minimum level.
It is important to get all the air out from the cooling system. I raise the bike up in the front so radiator cap is the highest point and leave it so for a day or two (without the cap) to get the last air out.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 07:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
As Racerman has stated; When the bike is cold, the coolant level should be at the very minimum mark.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:35 PM

I had this problem on mine and the coolant in the overflow bottle was on the minimum mark when cold. It would overflow when hot but looked like the levels were ok. This was obviously not right as if you lose fluid and dont top up the level has to drop. I found that although the level in the expansion tank was ok the level in the radiator was low. Turned out to be a dodgy radiator cap. It was allowing water under pressure to exit the radiator and fill the expansion tank which was then venting but not allowing water to flow back into the radiator from the tank. I found the centre pin in the cap was seized. Freed it up and now alls well.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:56 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Yup, that system should be tight. Any air will expand at a rate that pushes coolant out.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:37 AM

when you going onto the track, just replace the original radiator-cap with a one that holds up to 1.8 or 2 bar. The original one is made for 1.2 bar and maybe it's not the best quality as this happens to many 800 riders.

I replaced the cap with a 2 bar cap from that german online-store (I'm fom Germany) and this one fits well and worked well. It's made for KTM and Husaberg radiators but fits perfect. No more gushing coolant during racing
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :roman: View Post
when you going onto the track, just replace the original radiator-cap with a one that holds up to 1.8 or 2 bar. The original one is made for 1.2 bar and maybe it's not the best quality as this happens to many 800 riders.

I replaced the cap with a 2 bar cap from that german online-store (I'm fom Germany) and this one fits well and worked well. It's made for KTM and Husaberg radiators but fits perfect. No more gushing coolant during racing
Are there any dangers associated with doing this? For either track or road use?

Kag

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kageira View Post
Are there any dangers associated with doing this? For either track or road use?
I just know, that many other riders and tuners upgrate this to an 2 bar cap. So I did the same and it worked for one weekend. I think, the radiator will held 2 bar and the engine, too. That would be not a problem. But the original installed 1.2 bar cap is just too weak. So this is my solution so far. If I have more input, I will post it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I just know, that many other riders and tuners upgrate this to an 2 bar cap. So I did the same and it worked for one weekend. I think, the radiator will held 2 bar and the engine, too. That would be not a problem. But the original installed 1.2 bar cap is just too weak. So this is my solution so far. If I have more input, I will post it.
ok, cool

Thanks

Kag

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:45 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:

Now this is good info, thanks.

Will it hurt the engine or anything just leaving this 2 bar cap on permanently? I mean specifically after I'm done with track for the day and going back to street riding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode