Valve Check every 12000km - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Valve Check every 12000km

So im due for the 12000km service on my F3 675. I phoned my dealer and crapped when I heard the cost (7 hours labour they said).

Decided to do it myself, but it literally requires taking every single fairing off, fuel tank and airbox to get to the top of the valves. And then also lifting the bike up on its front wheel which Im hoping to get away without doing.

For those that have done the service, how many of you required shims on the valves? That is the one part, if required that I wont be doing as it involves removing the cams so best to leave that to the dealer if needs be.

Oh and is there oil behind the stator cover? it shares it with the cam chain so not sure (just want to be ready for it).

This seriously puts into question the touring MVs if they have such finicky service intervals. I see Yamaha R6 has this valve check at 26 000 miles and the other supersport manufacturers at 16000 miles. 12000 km is ridiculous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
That time must include R&R the cams to make shim changes. Should NOT be 7 hours just to check clearances.

You could do it without lifting the front of the bike, just not as easily or without spilling some oil out of the cavities around the valves when the cover comes off.

All bikes there days have the same base materials for seats and valve faces. The valves are what wear, not the seats. High RPMs and dirty air generally cause valve face wear, which causes valves to tighten up over time. Loose valves in shim type systems are caused by deposits. Blame crappy fuel, or over rich mixtures, or too much low rpm running.

My 910R, Gina, has never needed a valve adjustment and is well over 24K miles now.
lefin102 likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:25 AM

Had my bike in dealer B800 for valve clearance at 7,500 miles (roughly 12k), all were well within spec, no shims needed.So rest easy it will not be as big a job as your worried about. If they are out of spec yep 7.5 hours for full service seems fair. Keep your fingers crossed.

Now mine is out of warranty I will be doing it myself next time, no worries.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:01 AM

Had mine checked @12,000kms all within tolerance. With many track days in that mileage. So I would say you shouldn't need any shims. But always worth checking.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 01:43 PM

I just had mine done and the guys were shocked at how out of spec it was. Expensive to have done every year and will be looking into doing it myself.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 04:39 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
So im due for the 12000km service on my F3 675. I phoned my dealer and crapped when I heard the cost (7 hours labour they said).

Decided to do it myself, but it literally requires taking every single fairing off, fuel tank and airbox to get to the top of the valves. And then also lifting the bike up on its front wheel which Im hoping to get away without doing.

For those that have done the service, how many of you required shims on the valves? That is the one part, if required that I wont be doing as it involves removing the cams so best to leave that to the dealer if needs be.

Oh and is there oil behind the stator cover? it shares it with the cam chain so not sure (just want to be ready for it).

This seriously puts into question the touring MVs if they have such finicky service intervals. I see Yamaha R6 has this valve check at 26 000 miles and the other supersport manufacturers at 16000 miles. 12000 km is ridiculous!

Agree! If I may ask, what was the estimate that made you "crap?"
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:20 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post

I'm not sure about the F3's but all other new 800's/675's are now 15'000 miles between major services. Personally I doubt they actually changed anything other than update the print in their 20 year old service schedule that they copied from the original F4

Bit of a coincidence that at the same time as they bring out a tourer they suddenly double the mileage between services

Mines due a valve clearance service in the spring, if it's too expensive I might just sell the bike instead?

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:06 AM

Checked mine at 11500km, all within spec. You can remove the stator cover without dropping oil, if you are careful enough you won't need a new gasket.

We're all here, but we're not all there.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:51 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGOSTINI View Post
Checked mine at 11500km, all within spec. You can remove the stator cover without dropping oil, if you are careful enough you won't need a new gasket.
I was waiting for your input uncle, thanks for that, have a great evening.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:54 AM

AND, if you haven't done it/had it done, SERVICE THE REAR HUB, it's going to neeed it.

We're all here, but we're not all there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode