Anyone else have the new sprag fail yet? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Anyone else have the new sprag fail yet?

I had my third sprag fail back in July and had to wait for the new (mark III) version to be fitted in August. It lasted a bit over 3 months and 3,000 k before heading the same way, except this one failed really fast. I must admit that I was never really that confident in the new one, it never really started that cleanly from day one. The others had failed by just not starting and giving the odd clack, whereas this one became a real clack machine.

So as much as I love it I think I'm done with the Brutale 800 for now. There's clearly a serious problem with this bike and I've no confidence that it will be fixed anytime soon. I've told the dealer I think it's time we discussed a refund. I'm considering whether the bigger 1090R would be a suitable replacement. They appear to be more reliable, but they seem quite old school compared to the more modern 800s. Also tried a 2014 Tuono and that was a seriously fun ride and much more modern than the 1090. Decisions, decisions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:31 AM

Have you replaced the battery?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 AM

Another question, have you replaced the cable to the battery/solenoid/starter motor with a quality bigger gauge copper cable. Along side a decent battery this has certainly given my bike a much better start response.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 AM

Not sure of sprag architecture but could the problem be not the sprag but the thing it fits into? Just seems odd to me that some bikes eat sprags while I'm on 3500 miles and no real sprag issues. I used to hear the odd clack on the old pos battery but since the new one went on I've barely noticed it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 01:40 PM

No issue with the new sprag and I've got around 3k miles on it. Would someone please come forth with evidence that this is related to a battery/wiring issue BEFORE suggesting to replace.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 PM

New Site Garage
Why doesn't anyone ever post this info in the first place? Have you replaced the battery? (yes/no) Have you tried upgrading the ignition cables? (yes/no)

I did both on mine as soon as I brought it home and no sprag issues for me yet.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
Have you replaced the battery?
Battery has nothing to do with it.

Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Battery has nothing to do with it.
Agreed. It has nothing to do with the battery! And I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the ignition cables - besides the fact that replacing those is not my problem.

My reasons for stating the above: My dealer always replaces the battery when new - bikes sold new in NZ have spent too long travelling and too long in a warehouse for the battery to be any good. Also I ride every day so my battery is always in top condition - I've never even unpacked the battery conditioner. Previous sprag failures have been just a reluctance to start with the odd clack, however this "new" failure was definitely all about the clack. Ultimately it wouldn't even turn the engine over for clacking. Previous failures I could try starting dozens of times with no noticeable reduction in the starter speed - it just wouldn't fire. And finally, previous sprag replacements have instantly "solved" the problem - for a while!

I didn't pay top dollar for a bike that needs parts to be upgraded. If they need upgrading, then MV can sort that out themselves. I've had enough.

Last edited by FazerDude; 12-31-2015 at 12:58 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
No issue with the new sprag and I've got around 3k miles on it. Would someone please come forth with evidence that this is related to a battery/wiring issue BEFORE suggesting to replace.

Well I bought my bike with 2k on the clock and the stock battery. It would either start or not depending what mood it was in, the sprag clacked like crazy and I replaced the battery after I ended up pushing it a mile or so. It's a light bike but none of them are light when the road goes uphill. Since I put a decent battery on it starts first or second push of the button even if I leave it for a month. No sprag sound. It's cold, wet and miserable here but I bet you a new Alfa Giulia V6 turbo that I can go out to the shed and that bike will start 1st or second prod. I haven't started it since boxing day.

I conclude from this my Dear Watson that if the battery hasn't enough juice it cant keep the sprag engaged so it slips and that's when you hear the clack. It does this enough times and it's donald ducked.

I admit there are holes in my logic but without knowing if every MV with a duff sprag has the stock battery or every MV with a decent battery doesn't have sprag issues all I can say is it worked for me. Be nice if a dealer with experience of changing a lot of sprags would chime in.

I did offer to write a sticky thread on the sprag/battery issue but the moderators weren't interested.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerDude View Post
Agreed. It has nothing to do with the battery! And I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the ignition cables - besides the fact that replacing those is not my problem.

My reasons for stating the above: My dealer always replaces the battery when new - bikes sold new in NZ have spent too long travelling and too long in a warehouse for the battery to be any good. Also I ride every day so my battery is always in top condition - I've never even unpacked the battery conditioner. Previous sprag failures have been just a reluctance to start with the odd clack, however this "new" failure was definitely all about the clack. Ultimately it wouldn't even turn the engine over for clacking. Previous failures I could try starting dozens of times with no noticeable reduction in the starter speed - it just wouldn't fire. And finally, previous sprag replacements have instantly "solved" the problem - for a while!

I didn't pay top dollar for a bike that needs parts to be upgraded. If they need upgrading, then MV can sort that out themselves. I've had enough.
Take a photo of your battery if you dont mind. Its quite a bit of work to get to the battery, doubt your dealer replaces the battery even if they say so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode