Brand New F3 owner....Electrical Issues and questions. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thumbs up Brand New F3 owner....Electrical Issues and questions.

Hi All

After months of reading and researching i finally bit the bullet and got myself an Ex-demo march built 2015 F3 800 with only 100kms on the clock. Practically brand new and has a 2 year Warranty so i couldn't be happier.

I picked it up Friday and went for a ride on Saturday. I noticed after a few minutes that the indicators were not working. After closer inspection neither were the brake lights (tail lights work but not brake).

After 15 mins of looking for it under the seat I found the fuse box (in plain sight ) and checked them all and one of them was blown. I replaced the fuse with the spare and tested the indicators and it worked....for a brief second..... then stopped working. Checked the fuse and it was blown too. Tried this another time and the same issue.

Obviously this bike has some earthing or wiring fault that is causing it to short the fuse. Any ideas guys?

The bike has 2 years warranty and it will be taken back on Friday to the dealer but its a real pain in the ass after getting a brand new bike to have a stupid lil issue like this happen. If its a quick fix ill just do it myself so i can ride it.

Other than that my god i love this thing...it handles really really well and i was taking it very easy as it has brand new tyres and everything needs to bed in but walked away very very impressed.

I had no issues with the throttle being twitchy like i have read and overall i really enjoyed my ride.

What are the thoughts on suspension settings? It seems like its a bit harsh in the compression...i'm hoping once the suspension settles it may become a bit smoother.

What are the general thoughts on the running in period? I was trying to keep it under 6000rpm but its so frustrating and i cannot wait to open it up. I put a good 350kms on it on Saturday but still have about 550kms to go until its first service. Its torture.

Anyway enough rambling so far i'm loving the bike and looking forward to this summer and some longer rides up the hills around Victoria.

Cheers

Alex
Attached Images

Last edited by WRCPUG; 11-29-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 PM

New Site Garage
Welcome to the MV family Alex.

Sorry to hear about the indicator problem, probably a wire near the tail light rubbed through or pinched.

You're a well experienced rider, I don't think you need to worry about running her in.
It's my strong believe that "running" a modern bike in is just so that inexperienced guys don't kill themselves, I see lots of new bikes been run in at the track every year, mostly with an oil change during lunch time.
These guys all get run to full rpm on the Dyno at the factory before being shipped out.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:13 PM

In my opinion.....do NOT keep it under 6000rpm. There is simply no need to and you are wasting enjoyment time

I ride all my MVs hard from brand new (but I take care with brand new tires of course, for about 20km). My MV Tamburini was already up on the back wheel with less that 100 metres on the clock (even before the end of my driveway)

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post

Sorry to hear about the indicator problem, probably a wire near the tail light rubbed through or pinched.

You're a well experienced rider, I don't think you need to worry about running her in.
It's my strong believe that "running" a modern bike in is just so that inexperienced guys don't kill themselves, I see lots of new bikes been run in at the track every year, mostly with an oil change during lunch time.
These guys all get run to full rpm on the Dyno at the factory before being shipped out.
Hi Donsy
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yeah its probably something simple like that but i guess ill just get the dealer to look at it.

This is the first new bike i have ever had so i have never had to "run an engine in" before and i've never had a bike with warranty either. Thanks for the advice i think i might just do that and give it some revs.

My only concern is (and correct me if i'm wrong as i have no idea) but can i void the warranty if i over rev the bike in this break in period? Will any of the data be stored to the ECU regarding engine revs and will the dealer be able to check this data when they service it?

If not then you have made my day and i will be sure to start revving the tits off this thing
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 11:36 AM

You'll hit the limiter before you overrev it. I doubt you'll break it. If you're worried I think you'll be able to make excellent progress by keeping it under 12k. The noise and the poke continues into text gear
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 02:09 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post

Yep i warmed mine up... As i always go was a bit gentle on tyres, pads and revs for the first 100 miles then opened it right up but not everywhere upto it's first service and after than i ride it as intended

Reading the electrical bit though sounds just like mine. Do you have a aftermarket tail tidy fitted? If so i bet i know what's doing it

Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider supporting my son in his racing

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me, current road and track racing & my son competing

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Established Member

I had a conversation with probably the most respected MV dealer in the UK, and he told me that the ECU does store data form the bike. On the occasion he told me about a guy had taken his bike in for repair as it had dropped a valve, swearing blind he had looked after the bike with the upmost care. When MV looked at the data they found out he was either doing burnouts or had over revved it on a dyno as the front wheel speed showed zero when the bike went bang. As it was under warranty though they gave him a new motor. Hats off to MV for that but yes they can tell what you have been doing, but i suspect only at the point a problem occurs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean100yz View Post
Yep i warmed mine up... As i always go was a bit gentle on tyres, pads and revs for the first 100 miles then opened it right up but not everywhere upto it's first service and after than i ride it as intended

Reading the electrical bit though sounds just like mine. Do you have a aftermarket tail tidy fitted? If so i bet i know what's doing it
Cool thanks for the info on the run in period.

No i still have the standard tail on it. The bike is 100% standard and the problem started as soon as i left the showroom. I will get myself a tail tidy ASAP to clean up that rear end though.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

So a little update on the situation as i feel i need to vent

I took the bike to the dealer under warranty and after calling them back to see what was wrong they said they had to rip the whole bike apart to find this short. They ended up finding what the issue was and it was some part of the main wiring loom that connects to the front mirror indicator. It was (in his opinion) damaged during assembly at the factory which created the short in the flasher can and then the rest of that circuit and why it kept blowing fuses.

That's all well and good but i have had to try to pull some strings with someone i barely know at the MV importer and they got the warranty repairs approved (super quick which i'm very appreciative of) and the parts ordered. Problem i have been told the bike needs a whole new wiring loom and that's going to take 2 weeks to get here from Italy.

I'm pretty fucking pissed off that i'm going to miss prime riding time over the Christmas break on a brand new bike that i paid $19K for and have to wait for these parts to be shipped from Italy (most likely in no real hurry).
This is two weeks now of not having a bike i just bought.
I understand this is an Italian bike and shit goes wrong (i expected that) but I'm angry at the dealer for supposedly giving the bike a roadworthy certificate when clearly this issue was present since it left the factory and now im ending up with my dick in my hand during these prime riding weekends and a bike in the shop.

I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come with this bike....i just want to ride this thing so bad. Please someone tell me that its all going to be alright and i made the right decision to get an MV :P

Meanwhile i thrashed the absolute shit out of my 5 year old RSV4 at a track day at Phillip Island on friday and it hasn't missed a beat....maybe i should of stuck with the devil i know and got another Aprilia.

Last edited by WRCPUG; 12-13-2015 at 10:46 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 10:50 PM

Ask the dealer for a demo bike until yours is fixed.....it can only be a yes or a no. Sure you will love your F3 when all is well again

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode