Poor Support - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Angry Poor Support

I have been experiencing difficult gear changes up from 4th-5th-6th on my 2014 Brutale 800 "Italia" for over 10 months now. It clunks into gear under load when I use the Quick Shift and without using the Quick Shift it seems to have a 2 step change and does not change smoothly. My Dealer has changed the gear box and clutch with no improvement at all. They stated in writing on 7th of May 2015 that they needed to consult with MV Agusta for more information on this issue. Since then I have not heard anything. Yesterday I wrote a letter to MV, The Dealer and The Importer requesting that some action be taken to remedy the issue and will wait patiently for a response. I felt sure when I purchased this Beautiful motorcycle that despite some reliability issues currently experienced by some owners, the build quality and reliability of a motorcycle bearing the Italian colours would be second to none. Sadly this is not the case. I have had a Throttle upgrade after a breakdown, Clutch sensor replaced, Gear position sensor replaced, Gear box/Clutch replaced and Starter sprag clutch replaced. All done willingly by the dealer under warranty. But still I have to put up with poor gear changes. How are other owners finding the support from Dealers, Importers and the MV Agusta factory ?????

Last edited by Elliott; 10-03-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
the build quality and reliability of a motorcycle bearing the Italian colours would be second to none.
I love my Italian bikes, and have had Ducati, aprilia and now MV. Italian bikes are not high on the reliability list. I hope they step up and take care of this, it needs to be dealt with.

Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Yes, I am hoping for a good result. This is a great motorcycle in all other respects, but unfortunately the gear box issue has just taken the gloss off the top and is starting to leave a bad taste in the mouth. I thought the Dealership and Importers would have been able to show some more support and not shrug their shoulders and leave me in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Out of curiosity, have you ridden any other brutales to see if they dont have the issue? Obviously the problem isnt in your gearbox (or at least highly unlikely that youd have the same problem out of two gearboxes) since its been replaced. When you dont use the quick shifter do you actually turn it off or are you just using the clutch (easy way to tell if the QS is somehow the issue).

FWIW, you might want to give more information about your support plight. From what you said, theyve willingly put a decent percentage of the bike into warranty work with little question, that sounds pretty decent to me. I'd be willing to bet, though, that theres far more to the story thats led you to this.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I have ridden 2 other B3 800's and they both had this same problem. So that is 4 gear boxes that I have noticed this issue with. I think it is a mechanical fault in the shifting drum and dogs. I turn off the Quick Shifter when not using it. I have however found that I get good gear changes when I use no clutch or quick shift, but according to the MV manual this is not recommended. Lucky I have lots of patience and will keep adding progress reports to this post.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 07:23 PM

I am thinking like you shift drum or fork as I know them.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Yes, the problem could be with either the shift drum, forks or dogs on the gears. I have just had a message from a 2015 F3 owner in Germany and he has the same problem, but only 5th to 6th gear changes. I am hoping for more responses to see if it is a wide spread issue. Stay tuned, and thanks for the feedback.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 04:14 AM

What part of NZ are you in Elliott?

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 05:46 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Yes, I have ridden 2 other B3 800's and they both had this same problem. So that is 4 gear boxes that I have noticed this issue with.
So are you saying that EVERY B3 800 you have tried is like it..... Hmmmm ????

F4RR 2016

Brutale 800 Italia
KTM RC8 1190
Moto Guzzi 1100i Sport
Honda Firestorm
Yamaha Thundercat
Yamaha FZR1000 EXUP
Kawasaki GPX750R
The list only gets worse....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by VeeTwin; 10-05-2015 at 06:12 AM.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 05:46 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You've ridden 3 MVs with exact same shifting difficulty? And yet that gearbox is the same design/base components as every other 3 cylinder MV out there......I think it may be you, and not the bike that has a shifting problem. Otherwise we would be hearing hundreds of people voicing the same concern.

As for occasional 5th to 6th shifts being balky, this can be experienced on pretty much every bike out there with constant mesh transmission if the shift is taking place at lower rpms and road speed.

Perhaps you need to adjust your shift lever or footrest position. What kind of boots are you using? That can affect shifting as well.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode