Seal your throttle bodies - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Seal your throttle bodies

I have a 2014 Brutale 800 that's had its fair share of problems. My dealer, California Speed Sports in Livermore Ca. have done a great job of taking care of my problems.

Recently I brought my bike in for a third sprag clutch and a new battery. Without asking, while the bike was in the shop, the techs resealed the throttle bodies. It runs so much better, but even more amazing, my MPG has gone from 29-40 MPG. I can now go 125 miles before the low gas light comes on.

I really could care less about my MPG, but I think this probably means the engine is running more efficiently and the way it was meant to run from the factory.

It's nice to know I have a good dealer and techs who care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 PM

New Site Garage
This is something first picked by Jono, and would/could make a massive difference in how a bike runs. If I had one of the new bikes I'd definitely check mine.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:57 AM

New Site Garage
Toby, you mean seal with like Testor's paint?

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 11:17 AM

Can you explain what is meant by "seal the throttle bodies"?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Can you explain what is meant by "seal the throttle bodies"?
I wish I could. Perhaps someone on the forum could better explain exactly what was done. I assume it means they used some kind of sealant between the throttle body and engine. I also assume this eliminated any air leakage which resulted in the engine running better and more efficiently.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:08 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
Toby, you mean seal with like Testor's paint?
No, paint is not good for sealing manifolds.

In a few cases now, including Stephans F3, it was found that the bikes can have a badly seating inlet manifold.

Unfortunately the feedback from the guys is more often not very specific for obvious reasons, but it's either between the plate which bolts directly to the cylinder head, or between that same plate and the actual throttle bodies.
If you're going to fix one side might as well do both sides.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 09-26-2015 at 07:29 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 12:51 PM

I've heard two versions. One is that the gasket between the throttle bodies has a 'honeycomb' design that is supposed to seal as it is compressed by the tightening of the bolts. Trouble sometimes it doesn't. Extra sealant fixes it. Second is that there's an o ring somewhere in the inlet that can sometimes not sit right. Again a blob of sealant will hold it in while the inlet is assembled.

As the inlet has to come off to do the sprag a sharp tech will do this while he's in there just to make sure its not an issue. If you have to have to have your sprag done it might be worth mentioning this to whoever does it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 04:32 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
No, paint is not good for sealing manifolds.
No, definitely not. I wasn't referring to throttle body plates or manifolds. I remember guys sealing throttle body butterfly leaks in cars with model car paint. Really old school, and there are better things to use, but it was done at one time. You can still find rice racer cars with traces of Testors paint on the butterflies. This guy went overboard on the Testors, but applying it in very specific places, it sealed some tiny leaks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmBKLefwvV4

Kevin

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:41 PM

Italia I know what you are talking about and it worked great for the issue it was solving. The issue in the 3 cylinders has been exactly what Dons stated.

Although I never had the issue on my F3 800 when it was apart I made gaskets for each with 77b gasket material. Better safe than sorry I always say.

Cheers, Jon-Michael

2014 F3 800 EAS
2013 F3 675 EAS

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sitr View Post
Italia I know what you are talking about and it worked great for the issue it was solving. The issue in the 3 cylinders has been exactly what Dons stated.
Yeah, I get that. Just wasn't clear on what the OP was referring to when he said "Seal your throttle bodies." Between that and the need to sync the air bleed screws, these 3-cylinder throttle bodies are troublesome.

Kevin

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode