15' brutale 800rr w/ throttle issues! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

15' brutale 800rr w/ throttle issues!

so intermittently, i'll have an issue when i start my bike up and the throttle is not responsive (in like a safe mode). it happens after a hot soak typically (like running into the store, coming back out and starting it up) and then an error message would pop up on the display (i forget exactly what it said). sometimes i can shut the bike off, restart it, and it's okay. then a few days ago, it happened and turning it off and on wouldn't fix it.

after limping back towards home a little bit, i finally decided to pull over and attempt to figure out what's going on (with home being 20 miles away, it was gonna take me hours getting back). i traced the wire past the handle bars to a connector in front of the right front airbox vent (i think that's what it is), disconnected it, reconnected & all of a sudden it was fine. since than it hasn't happened. has anyone had this issue? my bike only has 700 miles on it and to bring to a dealer is a huge hassle for me being the closest is like 2 hrs away.

i work on cars for a living (own a repair shop) and this reminds me of a customer's 09 bmw X5 w/ a v8 that would go into limp mode because of a faulty connection to the throttle body. the repair was to install an updated connector that, if i remember correctly, had tighter connections and a different gauge/more insulated wire. i know how finicky and sensitive these electronic throttle bodies are. wonder if this is a similiar issue that's occuring on my brutale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 11:22 AM

Next time it happens stop the bike on the kill switch and disconnect/reconnect the wire and if it comes good you'll have a better idea of whats going on. Mind you if the error message is latched you will have to turn ignition off and on again to reset.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 02:03 PM

Open it up again and chuck some silicon grease in there. Solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

would anyone know the exact setting condition of the gas position error code? knowing the exact setting conditions will make diagnosing a lot easier. i see it is a 6 wire circuit so gonna have to look at a wiring diagram to get an idea of whats happening
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

i've since used some dielectric grease on the connector and it hasn't happened since but i'm not a firm believer in that being the fix since the problem is extremely intermittent.. prior to the dielectric grease, i wasn't able to duplicate the lack of throttle by manipulating the connector & the wires so i'm still unsure whether the cause was due to a poor connection or whatever, but so far so good.. we'll see what happens
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Established Member

Jono, Wenger,
Has this problem resurfaced on either of your bikes, or was this a permanent fix? My dragster has just started doing it...

NM
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 11:58 PM
Established Member

Ok, so after a bit of time on the bike I've been able to answer my own question:

the upshot is that, under the right (typical riding) conditions the traction control on the maximum setting will activate (on the Dragster at least) . For me it was when when veering right relatively sharply and accelerating hard (4th gear plus). As soon as I backed off the traction control the bogging went away. Turn the traction control back up and the problem resurfaced.

A few weeks ago, while riding in the rain, I had increased the traction control sensitivity...

I did also clean and (dielectric) grease the connector mentioned above.

NM

Last edited by Nicklemouse; 11-11-2015 at 12:01 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 01:23 AM

This appears to be a fairly common fault. "Gas Position Sensor"
It has happened to my 2014 B3 800 and was repaired by an upgraded Throttle assembly that was replaced under warranty. Don't hesitate, get it straight to your dealer for repair. This can fault out anytime and usually will leave you stranded it you don't know about pulling the connector plug to reset the system. For some reason the Throttle and the Injector servo/sensors become out of sequence and it flips over to limp home mode. Mine was replaced over 10,000 k ago with no problems and the new Throttle is a little stiffer. The mapping was also upgraded which is smooth as silk. Just waiting on a new upgraded shifter drum to be fitted to the gearbox, which I think will really make this a perfect motorcycle.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

the problem is very intermittent. typically after i've let the bike sit for a few days, go to start, idle & warm up and i come over and see that the GAS ERROR light is on. i'll shut it off, get to the connect, disconnect it and reconnect it and it solves it. just a very strange issue, i do have dieletric grease in the connector which appears to have solved it for a little while.

just doesn't exactly make sense to me as to why it happens though, i can take the connector & move it around in my hand while the bike is running without an issue (i'm almost convinced it may just be coincidental that disconnecting it does something).. mind you i have extensive knowledge of automotive diagnosing (electrical etc, i own a car repair shop). it sorta does remind me of an issue i had with a customers 08' BMW x5 w/ a v8 where he was having intermittent throttle issues, BMW had updated the wiring harness for the throttle body... maybe something a little more technical is going on here and hopefully the engineers over at MV have figured it out. it sorta sucks for me since the nearest dealer is 2 hrs away, plus i don't like others wrenching on my stuff. hopefully there will be a definitive fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklemouse View Post
Jono, Wenger,
Has this problem resurfaced on either of your bikes, or was this a permanent fix? My dragster has just started doing it...

NM
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 02:45 AM

my 2015 dragster did the same at 150 miles , they changed the throttle and not had it since , dealer near me is very good helpfull ,any probs they look t is asap and sort it
i dont mind little probs with a good dealer

only thing is this is my first mv and try to ride it when weather lets me here in the uk , and had 2 probs from new hope dont get anymore thow
1 throttle
2 lamber sensor light came on ,,straight after first service on way home
bike as now as 650 miles on it and got to take it back to dealer to look at lamber sensor
hope this aint a start of things to come like the ktm 1290 probs i had

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode