Help with Tail Tidy! - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By idsteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Help with Tail Tidy!

Thought this would be a first easy mod on my 2015 F3 800, but I can't get the stock license holder off! The four bolts holding it on are just spinning. So had a look and the bolts have nuts at the other end but i can't get to them!

Any easy solution without taking half the fairing off!?
The Following User Says Thank You to marcella For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 05:47 AM

You need to strip the bikes rear fairings off to get the wiring and nuts that holds the original plate holder.
Remember to mark where the fairings bolt are located because they are of 2 different lengths.
I guess that you removed saddle and rear cuts as well just to get easy access!

Good luck

/Fredrik
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Established Member

It can be done without removing the fairings but is fiddly. I loosened the tail fairing and under tray to gain access to the nuts
In hindsight it probably would be easier with the whole rear end dismantled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcella View Post
Thought this would be a first easy mod on my 2015 F3 800, but I can't get the stock license holder off! The four bolts holding it on are just spinning. So had a look and the bolts have nuts at the other end but i can't get to them!

Any easy solution without taking half the fairing off!?
Like stated above, you remove all the tail fairings. This is all because MV decided to put a cover over the nuts. Good luck putting the undertail back on. I was cussing that thing. I learned if you take the rear seat bracket off and the two mounting screws on top of the rear fairings you can get the cover out without taking everything off.

Todd
2013 F3 675 (RIP)
2014 B3 800 Italia
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
As everyone as stated here. For me, I took off the rear fairings as it just makes it easier to get at everything. I'm curious which Tail Tidy you are installing. I put on an R&G Tail Tidy however, the spacers that are permanently attached to the R&G Tail Tidy where the 4 bolts go in were too short. I had to source additional spaces (courtesy of Rexson here) at http://www.mcmaster.com/#unthreaded-spacers/=w2bahk (stainless steel spacers 3/16" thick)
Cheers
Steve
Rotan8r and Rotan8r like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:49 PM
Established Member

Hi Steve
I fitted the R&G one to my 800 and it fitted fine.. how come the spacers were too short, and what issues did that throw up?
Cheers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Hi there
The Tail Tidy as supplied, did not provide enough clearance for the tail light assembly to seat properly on the bike with the tidy installed. The additional spacers provided just enough clearance for the tail light assembly to bolt on properly and leave enough space between that and the Tail Tidy. It was only 3/16" but enough to cause some issues.
Cheers
Steve
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:09 PM

When I bought my bike it already had the R&G tail tidy installed, but the 4 bolts where rusty so I replaced them with stainless steel ones (same - full fairing dismantle). I'm assuming the R&G kit comes with steel bolts so it you don't want to see them rusty in a few months, I'd recommend replacing them with S/S first up. Saves doing the whole job twice!

2013 MV Agusta F3 675
2002 Ducati 998R

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 01:13 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk.Diggler View Post
Hi Steve
I fitted the R&G one to my 800 and it fitted fine.. how come the spacers were too short, and what issues did that throw up?
Cheers
I overcame the four bolt problem, now face wiring no. plate light. Instructions unclear where bullet capped wires go. Not got kit with me at moment. Is there an adaptor link?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode