Hot start issue, cold starts no problem - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Hot start issue, cold starts no problem

TL;DR version: 2014 Brutale 800 eas, sprag replaced at 750mi (now have 1700), live in Austin, TX, cold engine starts always perfect, restarts when engine is warm are rarely issue-free, different batteries, after using a battery tender and without, air temp doesn't matter either...can't be a battery issue, right?

And here's the long version:

Had stalling and starting issues earlier in the year. At that time, had the correct Shorai LI battery installed. Definitely a sprag issue and when the pop didn't happen, the dash typically cleared and reset. Had the sprag replaced and the throttle bodies synced by local dealer. While troubleshooting, they replaced my shorai with the original battery. Thought everything was fixed when I picked up the bike, so I didn't make a big deal out of the fact the original battery was still in it. Plus, wanted to put it in my other bike anyway as it's porky and needs all the lighter bits it can get.

No more stalling, no more starting issues...or so I thought. Guess it took a week or so before I had to refule because the first time trying to restart the bike when engine was warm resulted in the bike turning over three or four times then dash blanks and resets (inc. clock to 12:00 and trip to 0) just like it did before the repairs. The bike then started right up after I waited for the OK message from the auto system check.

Bike was gone 6 weeks for the repairs so I didn't want to take it right back in. A few months have passed and the bike always , always starts immediately when cold. It never starts on the first try when warm. I now know to release starter button after it cranks three times. I then turn the ignition off, back on, and wait for OK message and bike starts right up. If I don't let off the starter button after three cranks the dash blanks and the click and trip resets. This all happens if it's in the 30s or the 90s outside. If I'm starting the bike after it sits in my garage overnight or the garage at work during the work day. When the bike is cold, it starts and when the bike is warm or hot (2+ bars...I never move before seeing 2 bars for temp).

I don't typically use a battery charger as it makes no difference. The bike starts the same (great) when it's cold and (horrible) when it's warmed up...regardless of whether I use the battery tender or not. I've even tried three different chargers (2 the same brand, 1 a different brand) just to be sure it wasn't a charger issue.

I typically ride this bike 3 days a week. It's been raining too much to ride it last couple week and a half so I'll put it on the charger before Monday but know I'll still have the same warm start issue.

As I mentioned, this happened with the shorai battery as well. And, that battery has been going strong in my other motorcycle.

Add all this up and I just can't see how this might be a battery issue. Also, if it's a sprag or starter issue, why are cold starts no problem at all?

Would love ideas so I can propose to dealer as I really don't want to go without this bike for 6 weeks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:14 PM
Established Member

My 2014 F3 800 did exactly the same as you describe. Even if I leave the bike a week without starting it at all, it will fire up right away when the engine is cold. I have replaced Yuasa YTZ10S in it few months back but it still the same. In fact I have to pray it start just fine every after the engine is warmed up...
Any expert could shade some lights here?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 12:19 AM

I had the same problem. My dealer adjusted the air screw to spec. I don't know if it was too rich or lean, but that completely solved my issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:09 AM

had the same issue with my f3 800, after the sprag clutch was repaired i also told them to look into that. they said they changed nothing but the issue was gone so i guess it is somehow connected to the sprag issue as well?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenekek View Post
My 2014 F3 800 did exactly the same as you describe. Even if I leave the bike a week without starting it at all, it will fire up right away when the engine is cold. I have replaced Yuasa YTZ10S in it few months back but it still the same. In fact I have to pray it start just fine every after the engine is warmed up...
Any expert could shade some lights here?
You guys should stop replacing batteries... It is clear the battery is not the problem causing the sprag issues or causing this hot start issue.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 06:35 PM

Did Brian do the work on your bike? He's had my Rivale in there a few times, and he seems to really get it. I know they're a Ducati dealer that also sells MV, but they have treated me well for years.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

"Did Brian do the work on your bike? "

If you're talking about the main MV tech at Ducati of Austin, yes, I think that might be his name. Not 100% sure though as I mainly interact with Josh, their shop manager.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
You guys should stop replacing batteries... It is clear the battery is not the problem causing the sprag issues or causing this hot start issue.
YES, It's not the battery. I can't imagine all money wasted on new batteries because someone once said on this site that the battery was breaking the sprags.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 12:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobysdad View Post
YES, It's not the battery. I can't imagine all money wasted on new batteries because someone once said on this site that the battery was breaking the sprags.

Get it right. What I said was, and is, that low voltage and bad batteries contribute to sprag failure

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Get it right. What I said was, and is, that low voltage and bad batteries contribute to sprag failure
Chuck is correct......go on the AF1 Aprilia RSVR 2004-9 Forum.....

same problem with sprags.......once you understand how sprag clutches work.......then you'll understand why turning the motor slowly ruins the sprag

siliconhills;
your dash resetting is a bad electrical connection .......somewhere on my R1150GS there is a bad connection.......starts fine......occasionally the clock resets probably a loose ground

your hot start problem is either fuel or air.......check the function of your air and water temp sensors
maybe the default is rich for cold start.......that won't work for hot start

just some thoughts

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode