So much overheating - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

So much overheating

So I posted a week ago that my b3 tried to overheat and that all the coolant was gone. I was wrong and there was a touch of coolant still in the reservoir. So I filled it back up with a 50/50 of silkolene pro cool (what my dealer uses) last night. Rode the bike to school this morning, which is about a 10 mile journey, and when I got to school the bike completely overheated, I'm talking max bars and toasty legs. Come to my surprise all the coolant that I had just put in the bike was completely gone. So I rode home today, no traffic, and the bike got up to 7/8 bars. But what really surprised me is that at no point in this overheating debacle did the fan turn on. When I got home I shot the head with an IR Thermometer and it read out at a max of 230 F (110 C for all you people that arent in the US). I was pretty confused since my sv650 routinely got up to 225 before the fan kicked in (yes its a different bike but still) and I had clocked the head before at 203 F when the bike was at 3 bars and had cooled down for a couple minutes.

So I'm trying to decide what the timeline was:

Fan broke, bike got hot, coolant boiled off, replaced coolant, repeat

Bike got hot, air in the coolant system blocking the temp sensor, fan doesnt think it needs to turn on

Temp gauge on dash is broken and the bike isnt actually overheating.

I bought the bike new 1 month ago so I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and tell them they need to sort it out but I would like to have some sort of idea myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM

I had the same exact issue with my F3. Turned out it was a faulty t-stat.

2013 MV Agusta F3 Red/Silver (Sonya)
2013 MV Agusta F3 Black Track/Race Only (Trinity)
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

I should note that the coolant doesnt seem to be going anywhere....No stains on the bike/ground/me. This frightened me into thinking leaking/blown head gasket but upon inspection of the oil theres a distinct lack of coolant oil looking ooze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporMV View Post
I had the same exact issue with my F3. Turned out it was a faulty t-stat.
I found your thread where you died at a stoplight. Was your work covered under warranty or did the dealer make you pay for it?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 PM

It was covered under warranty. After the coolant cooled off, the next time there wasn't enough in there to expand and leak out and just started to boil away, you just can't hear it boiling while the bike is running. The fan should come on when you hit 4 bars.

2013 MV Agusta F3 Red/Silver (Sonya)
2013 MV Agusta F3 Black Track/Race Only (Trinity)
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

So I just went and did a proper bleed of the coolant system and so far all is well, the fans are coming on when theyre supposed to and the bike isnt overheating anymore.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:18 PM

On a B3 it's 4 bars to the halfway mark on your dash gauge. On my bikes experience it will go 1 over half way when bike is stuck in traffic and not moving or just dribbling along slowly. At this point or earlier fans always engage to stop overheating. If your gauge goes over this much when stopped it seems likely there is a problem. You should feel a flow of hot air on your left thigh when the fans come on too. It's very easy to check just run your bike and get off and watch fans and gauge. If your gauge goes over the half way mark when you are going fast enough for good air flow (not slowly in traffic ) then that surely indicates something is very wrong.
That's what a 2 year warranty is for.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Bike got to the max of 8 bars yesterday morning. Took it home and popped the plastics off. Much to my surprise the radiator was basically empty. I filled the radiator back up and ran the bike. I swear it looked like the damn thing was filled with soda there was so much air bubbling to the top. Retopped the radiator and then filled the reservoir. Been riding all day today and it hasnt gotten over the 4 bar mark.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 AM

My B800 has been running hot lately, and I noticed there is no coolant in the overflow.

I now need to add coolant, and I don't have my manual handy.

Do I need to use the exact same coolant?
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
My B800 has been running hot lately, and I noticed there is no coolant in the overflow.

I now need to add coolant, and I don't have my manual handy.

Do I need to use the exact same coolant?
have a good read through threads on coolant/heating etc, there is plenty of info on it.
Manuals available on forum, no you don't have to put in exactly the same coolant. Google coolant for a ton of info there.
If you are short of coolant and overheating maybe you should be looking for why that is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode