Hub #41 36,000 mile teardown - MVAgusta.net
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By mitchy
  • 1 Post By cruiser
  • 1 Post By mitchy
  • 1 Post By SCRINCH3R
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
SCRINCH3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 150
Hub #41 36,000 mile teardown

My F4 750 yr2000 has clicked over 51000 miles.
I've decided since I need to pull it apart to fit upgraded frameplates and swingarm, that I'll go ahead and ''restore'' the bike while I'm at it - a full mechanical and cosmetic freshen up for another 50K mi.


There wouldn't be many F4s with this kind of mileage and not many Mitchs hubs have done this much duty either. Lets see, I never serviced it until now:


Ive engraved the install mileage:




I believe black grease is moly "wheel bearing" grease:

Grease feels and smells just fine.

Inner needle race cleans up fine. No brinelling of the surface:



At the deep groove ball end things are less healthy:

Outer bearing has been fretting on the shaft. Feels 'okay' but not wonderful. A look under the 2RS seal shows the installed clear grease has darkened.

Not sure why Mitch has doubled up the bearing. I guess why not, but by the time you account for the radii of the inner race the inboard bearing is only engaging on the shoulder of the shaft around 1mm, and is in perfect condition, i.e. not utilised:

Shoulder is 15mm wide. Bearings are 12mm wide.


So I'll install another bearing. A SKF 61910-2RS and a new Sealing Ring (Springless) 55x63x5 and give it another thrashing.

I hope this has been useful. Cheers.

F4 750: EVO2 engine, CNC Mitchs Hub, CNC water pump, FBF clip ons, Uprated chain tensioner, PCIII, Ceramic headers, RG3s, Talon 520 conversion, Oro wheels, +40,000miles and counting.......
SCRINCH3R is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SCRINCH3R For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 04:23 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor
 
mitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 5,062
New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRINCH3R View Post
My F4 750 yr2000 has clicked over 51000 miles.
I've decided since I need to pull it apart to fit upgraded frameplates and swingarm, that I'll go ahead and ''restore'' the bike while I'm at it - a full mechanical and cosmetic freshen up for another 50K mi.


There wouldn't be many F4s with this kind of mileage and not many Mitchs hubs have done this much duty either. Lets see, I never serviced it until now:


Ive engraved the install mileage:




I believe black grease is moly "wheel bearing" grease:

Grease feels and smells just fine.

Inner needle race cleans up fine. No brinelling of the surface:



At the deep groove ball end things are less healthy:

Outer bearing has been fretting on the shaft. Feels 'okay' but not wonderful. A look under the 2RS seal shows the installed clear grease has darkened.

Not sure why Mitch has doubled up the bearing. I guess why not, but by the time you account for the radii of the inner race the inboard bearing is only engaging on the shoulder of the shaft around 1mm, and is in perfect condition, i.e. not utilised:

Shoulder is 15mm wide. Bearings are 12mm wide.


So I'll install another bearing. A SKF 61910-2RS and a new Sealing Ring (Springless) 55x63x5 and give it another thrashing.

I hope this has been useful. Cheers.
2 bearings are fitted to share the load,itís an engineering thing.The inner bearing is sitting on the shoulder by 25% and that is fine by engineering standards.The grease has gone off.It is not moly grease,it is Penrite High Temp bearing grease.
Good clean up and new grease,good to go.
Good mileage I must say,but I think Noel has more mileage though.lol.
esq'z me, Armando1969 and nigelrb like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
mitchy is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 04:40 AM
Senior Member
 
cruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,353
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
2 bearings are fitted to share the load,itís an engineering thing.The inner bearing is sitting on the shoulder by 25% and that is fine by engineering standards.The grease has gone off.It is not moly grease,it is Penrite High Temp bearing grease.
Good clean up and new grease,good to go.
Good mileage I must say,but I think Noel has more mileage though.lol.
I think Noel's working on a 50,000 mile test....can't be too far away from it
mitchy likes this.

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
cruiser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
hb88xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: A'dam, NL
Posts: 3,409
New Site Garage
my OEM hub off my 2000F4 (48k) did 36000km, which is over 22000miles, without a hitch

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hb88xx is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 07:28 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor
 
mitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 5,062
New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRINCH3R View Post
My F4 750 yr2000 has clicked over 51000 miles.
I've decided since I need to pull it apart to fit upgraded frameplates and swingarm, that I'll go ahead and ''restore'' the bike while I'm at it - a full mechanical and cosmetic freshen up for another 50K mi.


There wouldn't be many F4s with this kind of mileage and not many Mitchs hubs have done this much duty either. Lets see, I never serviced it until now:


Ive engraved the install mileage:




I believe black grease is moly "wheel bearing" grease:

Grease feels and smells just fine.

Inner needle race cleans up fine. No brinelling of the surface:



At the deep groove ball end things are less healthy:

Outer bearing has been fretting on the shaft. Feels 'okay' but not wonderful. A look under the 2RS seal shows the installed clear grease has darkened.

Not sure why Mitch has doubled up the bearing. I guess why not, but by the time you account for the radii of the inner race the inboard bearing is only engaging on the shoulder of the shaft around 1mm, and is in perfect condition, i.e. not utilised:

Shoulder is 15mm wide. Bearings are 12mm wide.


So I'll install another bearing. A SKF 61910-2RS and a new Sealing Ring (Springless) 55x63x5 and give it another thrashing.

I hope this has been useful. Cheers.
The bearing number is- 6910 2RS x2.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
mitchy is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 07:29 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor
 
mitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 5,062
New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb88xx View Post
my OEM hub off my 2000F4 (48k) did 36000km, which is over 22000miles, without a hitch

Well, aren't you lucky.
Brutale800RR likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
mitchy is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
SCRINCH3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post

The bearing number is- 6910 2RS x2.
SKF have re-codified it for their product needs
mitchy likes this.

F4 750: EVO2 engine, CNC Mitchs Hub, CNC water pump, FBF clip ons, Uprated chain tensioner, PCIII, Ceramic headers, RG3s, Talon 520 conversion, Oro wheels, +40,000miles and counting.......
SCRINCH3R is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:43 PM
Senior Member
 
theknurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Palos Verdes Est, SoCal, USA
Posts: 14,052
Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRINCH3R View Post
SKF have re-codified it for their product needs
Trust me SKF didn't change anything
6910 is a plain bearing
The 2RS means 2 Rubber Seals
The x2 means there are 2 bearings.....it's NOT part of the bearing number
Attached Images
 

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
theknurl is online now  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:37 AM
Senior Member
 
cruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,353
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
trust me skf didn't change anything
6910 is a plain bearing
the 2rs means 2 rubber seals
the x2 means there are 2 bearings.....it's not part of the bearing number
+1

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
cruiser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome