Corroded Dzus Fasteners F4 1000R - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Corroded Dzus Fasteners F4 1000R

Has anyone had their fasteners/bolts/Dzus fittings corrode?

I have a 2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R with 3300 miles on the odo and was purchased from Atlanta Triumph Ducati (ATD) on September 23, 2006. Last Thursday (6/21/07) I took my MV in for the second oil change and noticed that some of my Dzus fittings that held the fairing on the bike were corroding. The service manager, Matt, accused me of having the bike in salt water due to a Florida tag and sand in the radiator.

The circumstances were as follows. The bike was in Tallahassee Florida during the month of October while I was getting ready to move to North Carolina. During that month it was in a garage, never ridden in the rain or at the beach. Since November 2006 the bike has been garage kept in Robbinsville NC. The only time it was in the rain was the week prior to service and then that was for only three miles. The sand in the radiator came from my 1 mile dirt/gravel driveway leading to my house. The wet dirt road and front tire picked up the sand and deposited it in the radiator. There are no oceans / salt water here in the mountains of Western NC. Under these circumstances, there should be no corrosion on any fittings on this bike. I also own a 1999 BMW K1200RS (96,000 miles) and a 2003 Aprilia Mille RSV (8900 miles) that are stored under the same conditions and have been in the rain and Florida for a much longer time than the MV Agusta. Both my other bike do not have corroded fasteners like the MV.

ATD contacted Cagiva USA and was told that they would not cover the fasteners under warranty. The store manager, Jason, said that he would not cover the fittings unless Cagiva USA would support the warranty. With ATD not supporting their customer, how could Cagiva make any other decision? This is both bad business on ATD and Cagiva USA. They have lost my business over 7 Dzus fittings worth about $70. I will take my business to Charlotte NC from now on. I hope you have better luck with dealing with ATD.

R/ DYL-Jim

1999 BMW K1200RS
1999 Kawasaki KLX300R
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2012 Ducati Panigale 1199S Tri
2018 KTM 390 Duke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
jim... ATD is in the middle of a big change....lots of Harley guys have been hired there and it seems that they are heading in a new direction.... I'm just not sure what direction that is....up or down.
As for the Dzus fasteners...have you made an order yet?? I have a few that are still nice and if you want, (i replaced all of mine with Ti Dzus) I'll ship them up to you.

just a friendly jesture as we are now riding friends.....and we need to have another big turn-out at the Dragon ....so I can get my free lunch
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks Josh!

I will take those Dzus fittings. I will be in Atlanta Wednesday (tomorrow) for my Subaru service and to pick up my wife at the airport in the evening. Can I take you to lunch?? Let me know and we can make arrangements.

The big problem was with Matt who had terrible bedside manners and basically insulted me and called me a liar. Jason was better but no resolution without Cagiva USA. This is very weak customer service.

R/ DYL-Jim

1999 BMW K1200RS
1999 Kawasaki KLX300R
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2018 KTM 390 Duke
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

i have a work lunch meeting tomorrow...so no lunch...we can meet up and i'll give you the Dzus bits... you need 7 right?? I'll be all around atlanta looking at jobs, so just call me when you get in town (early or late) and we'll meet.

678-414-7873
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

7 Yes! I will give you a call as I come into Atlanta. Thanks again. We will need to ride the Dragon again and lunch will be on me.

R/ DYL-Jim

1999 BMW K1200RS
1999 Kawasaki KLX300R
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2018 KTM 390 Duke
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Are they the cadmium (golden) plated on the R? Most of mine of my 750 are loosing their colour, but aren't what I'd call corroding (yet.) My cadmium plated OEM Dzuz fasteners on my '99 748 have lost their colour years ago, as did everything else that colour. I think it's normal unfortunately.

One thing to watch out for if you do live in a salty climate, or it experiences any road salt for those that live in colder areas where they may salt the roads (and it can remain salty for weeks after the roads again appear clean), is if you wash the bike down to remove it, use cold water. Warm water will help dissolve the salt grains and in this state it will get into everywhere, including microscopic holes in the polished surfaces, where it will do more damage.

Si
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:45 AM
I don't know if the phot shows this too well but some of my dzus fasteners on my F4 have corroded, especially those on the bellypan section. I'm planning on having them re-plated this winter.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

before i purchased the Ti Dzus's I thought of gun blueing them.....just wasn't sure if the top coat of yellow needed to come off for this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 AM

John,
That's exactly what happened to mine. I think it's just natural decay. There's all sorts of salts and minerals in rain water and lying on the roads that'll eat through cadmium like it's cheese. But having said that, if you keep the bike dry it should take years for that kind of damage to occur.

You could consider spraying a coat of lacquer on them when new, which might help.

Also note that using any kind of metal polish (like Autosol for instance) on dirty plated fasterners will soon strip the plating off, or create microscopic scratches on the surface for all those nasty minerals to find their way into and start reacting with it.

Si

Last edited by TheCatWhisperer; 06-26-2007 at 11:58 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 05:05 PM

Hey Djester - Where did you get your Ti set from?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode