312 Recommended? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

312 Recommended?

Good morning all. Thanks for the forum - has already answered several questions I have about the 312R.

To cut to the chase, I was chasing an '06 LE Hayabusa at a dealer here, had in fact brought cash with me this morning for the deposit, but... there it was on the showroom floor, a newly-arrived black/white MVAgusta 312R. Sounds weird I know but I took one look at it and had second thoughts about the 'busa.

Picked up a copy of Motor Cyclist and read the review.. now, I am in serious contemplation.

Thing is, the dealer (not unreasonably) is not allowing a demo ride and there is only 1 other F4 rider on this island and I have no idea who he/she is (but would expect they'd be understandably reluctant to offer a ride even if I track them down).

Would any new owners in their 40s/50s care to comment on the riding position over a long time? Any other issues? (I am a longtime rider, reasonably experienced, commuting / touring, no track).

(I'm not asking about performance because although I've had and I currently have a couple of fast bikes, I am totally unlikely to test the 312's limits!!).

Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:08 AM

riding position is pretty streched out, depending on how tall you are, its a pretty uncomfortable bike for long rides, im only 5' 8" and the leat forward to rech the handlebars is a pretty steep one, but non the less, i love my bike and would not trade for any other. if u fell in love with the bike, as all of us did the first time we ever saw an mv, get it, you will be pleased with it, for more comfort, you can get a comfort seat (gel seat) and get handle bar risers if u wish. good luck, if u get it post some pics, oh and welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 AM

Hi Oldun, I am in a similar situation to you. I currently ride a BMW K1200S, my local dealer recently started carrying MV Augusta, and I too was struck by the beauty of the F4. In particular the exhaust. It is indeed exotic, and I mention to my wife that wow, there might be something to replace my BMW. We both laugh that idea away, still, I can't help but steal a long look at it before I turn away. A few months go by, and I read about the 312. OK, another trip to the dealer to take a look. Then it happens, the owner strolls over and tells me that if I were interested, he would like for me to take it for a demo. I thank him graciously and wave it off. He starts talking about the bike, the many adjustable pices, and demonstrates the height adjustable footpegs. He asks me to sit on the bike and tell if there were much of a difference between the pegs with one lowered and the other left in the factory preset position. What a fool I am, I decided to help him out by sitting on the bike.

The sitting position was terrible, and I knew at that moment there was no way this bike would work for me. I had risers on my K1200s, and still my hand would fall asleep after just a few minutes riding, surely this thing would put me in the hospital.

Sure enough, the dealer asked me again if wanted a ride. I told him him I would be in tomorrow.

The demo was out front when I got there, it was the standard red and grey F4, not the 312. He told me to take it for as long as I wanted...... I can't believe I'm doing this. There were several things that stick in my mind about the bike. One, I rode the bike over 2 hours, and my hands never fell asleep, despite what is obviously a more extreme riding position than my K bike. I think this may be due to a more upward push from the windscreen, might just have been adrenaline. Two, the bike soaked up bumps as well if not better than an old FJR1300 I had. I was prepared for a torturous repli-racer ride and came away pleasantly surprised by the lack of pain I experienced. Three, the exhaust note is compelling. I felt very much like a conductor of some internal combustion orchestra as I coaxed the RPM's up and down, great experience! Finally, the sound and feel of the engine is very unique. It truly felt more as if I were on a living breathing thing, than my K or previous machines I've enjoyed. There is a certain growl and feeling is definately visceral, it is not polished and anesceptic like other power plants I've ridden. That does NOT mean the power is not there, it is just a very different experience. I owned a busa, and enjoyed it as well. The engine is a marvel, it does not have the wonderful feel of the F4 though. IMHO, if you can tolerate the riding position of the busa, you would do just fine on the F4.

I rode the bike for a little over two hours, it was definately HOT, but my hands never did fall asleep.

I am picking my white over black 312 1+1 up in in mid July. If only I could take my eyes off the calendar.....

Let me know how it turns out.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Established Member

Fly to bellevue WA, talk to Frank, they have a demo there and a black and white on the floor (0 miles on it).... Meet me and I'll take you for a ride around seattle for the day. Buy the bike and have them ship it out to you. That's what I'd do. When I got mine I was in the same situation only with the zx-14. Honestly though, the more your ride it and have it then you REALLY begin to feel what it's all about. There's a ton of busa's on the street.... look for the crowd of people standing next to some bike and you'll discover the 312. Faster, more fun, turns more heads and you don't have to spend a ton of money trying to get it to NOT look like everyone elses.

Just some thoughts....

-W

Wesley
------------------------------
Seattle, WA
Toys....
2008 MV Agusta F41000 R312
2000 BMW K1200RS
2001 BMW M3 Convertible

Last edited by weskro; 06-23-2007 at 09:53 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Established Member

Oh, one last note... I'm 40, good posture. 5'11" 190lbs. I've done a 2 up trip of 250+ miles in one day and a 450 mile trip through twisties and mountains. I had the choice of taking my K1200RS or my MV... Ask me again and I'd take the MV. Yes, by the end of both days I wanted OFF my bike (lol) but I'd take her out again.

I ride almost every day that the sun is out. My friend was giving me a bunch of crap for not getting a harley saying, "one of these days you'll NEED to buy a harley". I replied, "yeah, I know... that's why I got the MV NOW".

Wesley
------------------------------
Seattle, WA
Toys....
2008 MV Agusta F41000 R312
2000 BMW K1200RS
2001 BMW M3 Convertible
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you gentlemen that was EXTREMELY helpful. ("Perhaps too helpful", he said, looking at his bank statement...). Heh.

I will be going back to the showroom on Monday and will of course let you know what transpires.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 10:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Hi Oldun, I geuss we don't have to tell you i is not a long distance haukler like a 'Busa can be.
It is a sharp, tight scapel of a thing.
If that is what you can live with you won't be disapointed, but it is a pure make no apologies sport bike.
By the way I am 48 if that helps, and will ride pure sport bikes for as long as I can throw a leg over them. If I want comfort I will use my little sports car.

MVA Sydney
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 12:32 AM

Comfort on the F4 will be largely determined by the shape and flexibility one has. If one is decent with both, multiple 100 mile days is very do-able. I'm 6'4" 200lbs and can handle the F4 ergos just fine. Would mention I rode an adored Honda CBR1100XX for seven years and also ride a BMW K1200S now. Both of these are finer for longer sporting rides, but don't quite provide the rush the awesome MV F4 does.

FWIW, I will eat some crow and admit the 312 is awesome to behold and sit upon. I've rode an F41000S for almost three flawless years and defended it actively. Today a pearl/black 312 sat at the dealer lust looking at me and resistance was futile. Traded the F41000S and another for it. When my wife saw it in the garage she was stunned speechless by its beauty.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 04:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
sfarson,

You bastard! I am trying to resist, but must say the 312R has me in it's in sights.Let me know if it is all you thought it would be from your S.

But be gentle on me.

MVA Sydney
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 07:10 AM

Sfarson,

Congrats,

A few bits of CF and some new rearsets and you will be set.

More of your beauty pics PLEASE.

Enjoy the ride on that beauty.

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode