Glowing red downtube - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Glowing red downtube

I've mentioned this in another context but let me start a new topic with a question;
Is it OK that one of the header pipes (down tube) is glowing red when it gets hot? Is it an indication of either bad fueling or valve adjustment resulting burning still taking place outside the cylinder? Besides it can start a fire in such a close quarters (No:3 from left to right), should I worry about?
Cheers.

'08 312
'15 K1300S Motorsport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhi
I've mentioned this in another context but let me start a new topic with a question;
Is it OK that one of the header pipes (down tube) is glowing red when it gets hot? Is it an indication of either bad fueling or valve adjustment resulting burning still taking place outside the cylinder? Besides it can start a fire in such a close quarters (No:3 from left to right), should I worry about?
Cheers.
That's wrong, get it fixed. Sooner rather than later. Unless all the other ones are just on the verge and that one is just a little more red than the others. Which is still a problem (too hot).

Could be a partially blocked throttle body for that cylinder (like it's being choked), or some other condition.

'01 F4S
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Are you idleing the bike long? No need to do that and with no air flowing, they will turn red, not a problem unless you do it alot.

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I don't idle it at all but the time I observed this was to check the fans were working. If it was all of them I wouldn't worry as much but only one of them. Besides, if it is idled like stopped at traffic light, it shouldn't get glowing red at all as far as I understand.

Others (#1, #2 and #4) are just hot but not like #3. #3 is like ready to melt away red about 6-8 inches down the tube.

'08 312
'15 K1300S Motorsport
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 03:31 PM

you have a lean cylinder, it is most likely a injector problem, get it to a dealer or a good mechanic to have it looked at, don't ride it or you could or possibly already have done damage to the internals on that cylinder.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

On a second thought, could this have anything to do with the open exhaust valve to prevent engine braking if it is on #3? Just thinking out loud...

'08 312
'15 K1300S Motorsport
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Dealership wants the bike back after talking to MVAgustaUSA (Cagiva). I don't think the dealership knows what to look for and what to fix because he mentioned to me something about thermostats. Just for the record, I called and talked to Cagiva as well for them to know that I do have a problem. I have to say I am a bit nervous. I will keep a log of all the calls for the unforseen future headaches from now on. I hope it is a bad injector, spark plug/wire or a valve adjustment. I'll keep you posted under this thread.

'08 312
'15 K1300S Motorsport
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 02:33 PM
MV1

Don't worry. "It's an exotic"- overheating motor, glowing exhaust pipes, melted, smoldering plastics - no prob. It's all part of the pleasure.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Bike was back to the shop for few days. It went in with 18 miles (12 is my riding) on the clock and came back with 48. They say, the down pipe does NOT get hot like glowing red hot I described. They say temp never went above 225F which is when the fans kick in. The found no fault what so ever. I've got the bike back this afternoon and went out for a quick ride to see how the temps were. It didn't go above 220F at lights and didn't feel as hot as it was last week. When I came back, I let it idle on the driveway few minutes. Temp went up to 228F and spit coolant. They must have topped it up way too high.

At this point my guess is that when I've got the air out from the tubes last week, there were still air left in the header. Therefore it got hot at #3 but while being moved back to the shop, that cleared too so no more hot spots... I am going to be closely monitoring this till I'm satisfied. But I have to say, my trust to the shop is tainted due to the fact that the claim they make to the contrary what I observe. Remains to be seen... Thanks for listening...

'08 312
'15 K1300S Motorsport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode